Dino Saga 060723___Some of Santa Barbara | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060723___Some of Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jul 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060723___Some of Santa Barbara

My Dino is only half of the fun. The road is where it, and I, play. Santa Barbara has more than its share of interesting playgrounds. I’d like to share a few.

Locals figure that Santa Barbara goes from Winchester Canyon to Summerland, from the Pacific to the Santa Inez river. That’s a lot of territory and the first range of mountains work with their foothills to make most all roads twisty. The few straight lines are in the cities of Goleta, Santa Barbara and Montecito, on the flatlands.

Old San Marcos Pass, Camino Cielo, Mountain Drive, Gibralter Road, are all good for wringing out a nimble car. No reason to go fast. Posted speed limit gives you a work out and it’s fun to pull off and just look. Views are spectacular.

I learned them all in the late 50s with my beautiful red ’72 MG TD. All of the special roads were narrower, many parts unpaved and the MG was in its Heaven. Skinny tires, dirt roads, limber chassis, lousy shocks, little brakes and all of 70 HP went together nicely. All the roads are now paved, some wider, some potholed, and most still largely untraveled. A modern car can’t rush, even though it could go faster than the MG. I could drift at 30 MPH then, and if I lost it, not much happened. I could drift now at 50 MPH and kill myself if I lost it. Take it easy and enjoy the fantastic views. I did just that last week going up Gibralter road, across Camino Cielo and down New San Marcos Pass. Took a few pictures and then came home and downloaded the latest Beta version of Google Earth. Wanted to see if I could get an overview shot. I could!

Wow! Google Earth has a whole new look, better interaction and higher resolution. Just think what the next year might bring. Take a look at the Vegas Strip to get blown away. Then come back to Santa Barbara, at 4000 ft., above Camino Cielo, looking South at Gibralter Rd. Tilt back until you see S.B. and the Islands. You can get a good idea of the terrain. Roads are narrow and you have to share them. Lots of bicycles. Gibralter Rd was fine except where edges had slid away. No potholes. Camino Cielo was 9 miles of potholes. No traffic so I had all the road to play with and only hit one hole dead on. Left front tire touched inside top of fender but no sweat. A car with a front spoiler would never make it. New San Marcos Pass is a high speed cruiser with lots of traffic. Temp in the city was 80, temp on Camino Cielo was 107. Talk about an inversion! The Dino peaked at 220 F and did fine. Fans stayed on until I left Camino Cielo. Sure felt good to cruise down into cooler air at 65 after running a bouncy 25 mph zigzag on top.

I’ll run the other roads and give you an idea of current conditions. One of these days. In the meantime, cruise vicariously with Google Earth. Tilt till you can see the horizon and fly. Santa Barbara is famous as a vacation destination and FChatters should have a little adventure to go with the food, wine and beaches. Come play!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Beautiful area.
    I've been SCUBA diving all over those islands but typically only got driving up 154.

3. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Wow, i am so jealous. All we get is congestion over here during the day and the problem with the countryside roads is that particularly with something like a Dino which is so low you cannot see over the hedgerows to get a clear veiw of traffic coming towards you.

4. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Count me in on the jelousy bit, the trouble here in NJ is the rain and the weeds, went away for a few days, came back to find and they had grown taller than the Dino! (almost)

5. stevesonn

stevesonn Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    central coast, calif
    Full Name:
    steve
    Nice pics John. I guess the danger is making sure you keep your eyes on the road and not the view.
    As you know John, I too am blessed with incredible roads in North SB County and SLO County.
    We definitely need to arrange a meeting and drive.

Steve

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

I'd suggest a Paso Robles winery as a good spot

7. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    OK, I am jealous of the road, the view, the dino and his jois de vie! Damn, who but us knew a car could be such good "therapy" I am shopping for a dino but they are inteh 550 and 360 territory, makes for a tough decision I tell you..love those little buggers...I had a Triumph spitfire 1500 and then a xke roadster so I love the tight little close to the road "raw" classic type sportscars, I thought the 308QV would do it for me but too refined...somehow. maybe I just miss the carbs...

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    You are right. In the Dino, your butt is 8" off the ground and everytime you punch the throttle, a half cup of gas goes to down a rat hole. But the car responds NOW. And your butt feels it, and life is good. Other folks can have seats at a reasonable height, and lose the view of ladies trying to sit gracefully, and have fuel injection, and a computer bringing things up with a perfect mixture, and saving gas all the way, and being 100 miliseconds late.

Life is too short!

John

9. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    John, I got hooked way back when.. in a Opel GT and then Triumph Spitfire roadster, love 'em low, small, zippy, was considering the 246 in the 70's ( when people were givn' em away) but got the xke roadster instead..was talked out ofg the dino by ferrari "experts" HA! follow your heart and not your head and you may not always be right but always happy! enjoy that blue magic carpet!