11,000 miles in a 30 yr old VW Beetle? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

11,000 miles in a 30 yr old VW Beetle?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bretm, Oct 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Lol. You guys are reading my mind.

I've been searching for 65-73s. 12v, manual, and carbed; trying to keep it simple. I can't even imagine trying to run an A/C compressor on one of them; the 308 probably loses more HP when you turn the A/C on than the Bug has in total. Going to Florida in March should be no problem. CA in June though I figure we'd have to time it so we cross into the desert out west at night, maybe take the "northern" route on 80, through wyoming, etc. then cut down across Nevada. Come of out the mountains in early evening and drive through the night.

I have an old cassette player out of the Jeep, for ~$120 I could throw in a CD player and some speakers though. Might experience "America" more if limited to AM/FM (and the 3 cassettes I own), but I might end up killing someone too after 3 hours of static in the middle of nowhere...

Lol, my co-conspirator has a 67 Camaro that for the last two months I've been trying to con him into replacing with, you guessed it, a 70s Caddy convertible. He wont go for it though, hence the new mission on affordable gas mileage. Should I be worried that Dr. Who and I have are running similar thought processes here?

You must be able to stash a ton of stuff in a Beetle b/c I feel like some of these sellers are still smoking what they got. The thing is essentially a POS, and after pumping out 21 million of them, the notion of collectibility is a bit deranged. I'm trying to find one that's not too ratty, something that you'll be pleasantly surprised if it makes the drive home. So far the market is mostly extremes though, restored or bushes growing through the floorboards.

I'll find that special girl in due time. It is starting to get a bit cold though here in NJ; sooner would be better than later.

2. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    And another thing, California, Washington, and Oregon are literally hoarding all of the Beetles. Damn you left cost. Snagging one out there jacks the price up ~$1000 by the time you get it back to NJ, keep in mind, that's like 70% of the current budget...

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Keeping with the VW theme.........

Have you considered a Rabbit? You have diesel and convertable options.

Gas milage +
    Handling +
    Comfort +
    Speed +

You can always paint or put some vinyl logos / stickers on the body to give it some character.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Pick up US 50 in Pueblo and drive straight across to Sacra-tomato. You'll be on the high dessert and much cooler. But watch out for Delta, Utah. I wasn't kidding about the VW grave yard. There is also a really neat spring hidden near by. Ping me later, and I'll try to remember where.

As far as the bug, go for it. However, do not under any buy one of the fastbacks or squarebacks. These were (and still are) total POS.

Dale