Dino Saga 060604___Alignment | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060604___Alignment

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jun 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060604___Alignment

Every time you change tire brand or tire model, toe-in has to be tweaked. Of course, if you hit a curb hard, best to check if anything got bent. If alignment shop does not have a clue, it is nice to be able to double check their work. Not too hard.

The Dino is justifiably famous for its handling. It was the first production rear engined Ferrari and everyone got it right. Looks, handling, manners, speed. And strength! Suspension is robust. You have to do serious damage to foul up the suspension. Age though can sneak up on you. Bushings go soft or hard or get permanently deformed. Tire technology changes constantly. I have gone to larger wheels and lower profile tires so tire changes can be profound. You feel everything, instantly.

Both front and rear suspensions are supposed to toe in. Rear has more leeway and is less prone to damage. Right rear lower A arm, front bushing, gets an oil bath every time the oil filter is changed by a slob. I have changed that bushing twice during my 187,000 miles and 20 years. Other bushings are undoubtedly due for work but no great panic.

I play with tire pressure and toe-in in the front. Castor and camber won’t change unless there is major frame damage. Tires from Goodyear, Falken, Yokohama and Kumho have been on the car and all driven 10,000-40,000 miles. All have their druthers. Sizes have all been 205/55VR16 front and 225/50VR16 rear. Tried 250/50VR16 rears once. Car pushed in turns and tires hit on bumps. Sold them. Like Falken best.

Front pressures run 25 – 30 Psi. Rears are happy at 30. Handling gets progressively lighter as front pressure goes up. Had a tire shop leave the fronts at 50 psi once and car was really squirelly. Lower pressures wear inside and outside edges quickly. Toe-in can range from ¼” to 0” depending on the tread pattern and the wear pattern. I usually keep it at 1/8” and all is OK. Adjust slightly as tires wear. Swap left to right when tread is about half gone. All tires have been directional and wear is a little heavier on outside.

Front shocks, lower ball joints, tie rod ends and rack bushings have been replaced so I have had many chances to re-set the front end. Pictures show the typical set-up. A 1” x 2” wood strip with 12” steel feelers works well. Feelers are set about 57” apart and then bent to match the groves in the particular tire. Tire diameter is about 25” so measuring front and back of tire gets you there. I use 1/8” dia. wire for the feelers so all I need to do is bend the feelers to the grooves at the back and look for a wire diameter less in the front. You really don’t have to lift the car but it makes things faster and easier. Want to keep normal body weight on suspension. Tie rods want to be level.

I love the way the car handles. My wife hates it and will not drive it unless forced. The car is heavy in a parking lot. She shops and parks a lot. I just keep moving and all is fine. Car is like a good dog. Wags its tail and says “what you want to do today boss?” And then makes every day an adventure to remember.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    A dino monster truck...cool!

3. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Dino's enjoyed a great reputation for handling because of Ferrari's involvement with Michelin at that time. Both the 365GTB/4 and the Dino were designed around Michelin's new XWX series tires.

As a Dino owner, I am amazed that someone would not keep the correct XWX tires on a car that benefits from a design that allows the car keep its correct character and charm, and they handle so well with XWX's. You can put these cars into a wonderful controlled drift that is totally predictable.

John, it is obvious you have great passion for your car and no doubt you truly drive it with enthusiasm, but modern tires simply do not look correct on these beautiful cars and I think really detract from the overall driving experience.

IMHO, if you really want to enjoy your car, put XWX's on it! (besides they look so much better!)

4. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Some time ago, I was in Maranello talking about tyres (tires) with an eginner who took us for a tour of the Factory, round about the time Mondials were coming out. Anyway, I had a discussion about putting/ different/lower profile tires that were comiing on the market. I was told exactly that the car would not behave in the same way, the steering geometry would change and its doubtful that it could be better, probably worse.

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Just got back from a Maricopa loop run and had a chance to keep up with more modern iron. Little car sticks very well. Perhaps just driving around corners with modern tires is easier than a beautifully balanced drift with 1970's tires. I'll stick with what I have; and enjoy the driving and the looks. Might be some pics on the So Cal forum.

John

6. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    [QUOTE=J I'll stick with what I have; and enjoy the driving and the looks.

I'm just jealous 'cause you get to drive yours. As a matter of interest, what pressures are you running and how does the front end hold up in wet weather breaking?

7. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    John I totally respect the fun you have.... I guess I need to get over my XWX issues! I need to get my Dino out and drive it!

8. damusto

damusto Karting

Jul 27, 2011
    Hello,
    I would like to ask if You guys have some experience with race alignment ?
    I assume that front camber will need to be change the most. Standard ~(+0.5deg) it's a pretty preventive setting - right ?

Please advise something.