Dino Saga 060507___Air Control Cable | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060507___Air Control Cable

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, May 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, May 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060507___Air Control Cable

Spring is usually wet but this year has been ridiculous. I fixed the heater valve so hot water could go through the two little radiators and defroster could blow warm air. Then the left air control lever decided it was stuck. Looked at both ends of control cable and all looked OK. Sprayed some WD-40 into cable by air control box. Nothing got better right away so loosened damper control arm to see if trouble was in cable, damper or dash lever. Damper moved fine. Pulled radio and pulled cable loose at lever. Lever was fine. OK. Only choice was to pull cable center conductor and hope it would go back in. Grabbed it with a pair of Vise Grips at damper end and pulled gently. Nothing! Pulled seriously and wire started to move. After about 6”, things got easier and I saw the problem. Moisture had gotten into the cable and rusted the center control wire for about 18” at the lowest point of the cable run. That part of the steel wire was Rough! No wonder it would not move.

Put a rag under the dash lever end of the jacket to catch whatever came out and blew through the cable. No water but a little rusty WD-40. Filled cable with 3-in-1 oil, blew it through and figured jacket was probably OK.

Rough cleaned wire and it looked like there was way more than half of the diameter still in one piece. Ran 300 grit wet or dry paper over rusted part and started to see shiny spots. OD felt OK to the fingers so cleaned again, rounded and polished dash lever end and oiled wire. Started it back through the jacket and it went right through with no problem. Clamped it to the dash lever then went outside and hooked up the damper. Tried it and almost right. Adjusted damper end a little. Smooth as silk again. Could feel damper detents.

Hit everything under dash with WD-40 and put radio back in. Whole project cost me a skinned knuckle and a morning. I was wondering what I was going to do for this Sunday’s saga. Mother nature struck again.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    John,

I love how you document your process. Very methodical. Thanks for sharing.

Manny

3. frankwissman

frankwissman Karting

May 6, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Frank Wissman
    If you ever get nervous about the center wire, most bicycle shops sell cable by the foot; you just need to form the ends for the clamp halves with strong pliers.