1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 39 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Christian, I think you should keep it in original color.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  3. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Lusso123 likes this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I agree, the 1955 300 SLR looks very nice in grey. Reminds me a lot of 1954/55 Ferrari 375 0402AM that Marshall did a model of.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
  6. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Me too :)
    This car was a real laboratory at this time 1954/55. It s really an incredible car. I didn't exepted that before...when I saw in my diecast and afther in internet for better informations about chassis, breaks, and engine...for this period it was really and advanced car.

7. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Humm in grey there s so many years I saw it in this color.
    I love original for sure, but now it s a nude car. I saw it as an opportunity for change.

See on few months the final result ;)

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    #958 Lusso123, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Well..... even though I knew a few of the problems with this one I finally broke down and bought one. Figuring it was still better than the GMP model of 1075 which I also have. There are of course the expected various little details that are not quite right, I found a number of them, I can live with them, and I was well aware of the rear wheel opening flaw, which I could sort of live with since it is how the car is restored and shown now.....but was more disappointed when I looked mine over..... There are Five glaring mistakes that could have been easily avoided. The worst have to do with the body.
    1) Rear wheel openings already mentioned.
    2) The front in profile is wrong, it slopes down far too much.
    3) Front end/nose is much too narrow.
    4) Steering wheel position is petty bad, angled up - looks like a tilt wheel in full up position.
    5) Mirror is wrong type, wrong finish, and in wrong position, it should be silver and mounted to the windshield.

I'm going to stop looking any closer at it. I think I am in the minority of collectors who feel that glaring mistakes and inaccuracies are not excusable. After all these are items we don't need, and that we are paying for.

It seems that none of the new breed of model manufacturers cranking out models from China are able to properly research and produce an accurate large scale model of any vintage car. They lack the knowledge and they simply do not care. It seems that to get a really good accurate 1:12 - 1:8 scale model, you have to spend a lot (thousands), and even that is no guarantee. I have seen a number of large scale models of 1075 made by various companies and builders, and all except for one maker fail to be good...... the only exception being the four 1:12th scale models of 1075 built by Bob Hine. His were and still are the best, and are unavailable.

piloti, minidelta and Christian.Fr like this.
  9. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Lusso: I wish your would be heard by these manufacturers, but as long as they are selling 'semi accurate' models they won't care. Those of us that want exactness seem to be a minority-I see more and more new product makers every month it seems, so there must be a good profit in it. I'm at that point of considering selling most of my collection, saving only the 'best of the best' so to speak.

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes David, I also wish that at least a few of these manufacturers would listen. Some say they do and will, but in truth they do not. They only want to hear glowing false praise. I used to work with CMC, and while they are better than some, they still could and should produce better models. They are another example of a manufacturer that chooses to ignore the facts. You are correct that....."as long as they are selling 'semi accurate' models they won't care." The model dealers are another part of the problem. I do understand that it is a business for them, and they need to make money, so do I, but the 'dealers' try to sell whatever they can. Unfortunately most of them are incredibly ignorant, and are of no help in giving honest truthful information about the things they are selling.....like an average used car salesman. What all of the manufacturers and all of the dealers fail to really grasp is that they are selling luxury goods - items claimed to be collectible - which are things none of us need. I have a lot more to say (as always) on this subject. And yes, it seems that every moth there are more new makers of so-so models, cranked out of factories like sausages; made on small assembly lines by worker-bee employees.

I understand completely about your considering a sell off of the less than best models. Several of my customers have done the same. I have been very selective with my collection, sold off and avoided many pieces that fall too far below good levels, which certainly limits my spending. This latest GT40 is a real conundrum for me.

11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Well....just for the heck of it, I sent a copy of one of my reviews on the offending CMR 1:12 GT40 directly to their contact email listed on their web site page. (by the way, they have no real web site, only a header page with an email address!!).

I received a quick, and brief reply from someone at CMR, which appears to be part of a model distribution and retail group/company, all based in France. Here is what they wrote:

"Hello,
    Thanks for the info.

We know that we made some mistakes …
    Since, we improved our verification process.

For you info, we recentely opened an FB page.

Cordialement / Regards
    Renaud"

Based on past experience with many of these companies, I highly doubt there will be any real improvements. Time will tell....

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    If they are anything like the 275 GTB4 they are very simplified and wrong anyway. For the insane you could replace them with Hiro wires(140 parts per wheel). That is if the model is worthy of such an undertaking. Marshall what do you think?? You have to consider these models cost 300-400 dollars US on average with the CMR models sometimes going for less than $250.00 US. Hiro kits with wire wheels are $600.00 on up. Accuracy and cost do correlate. That said Hiro kits have inaccuracy issues also.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    #966 Lusso123, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    The 250 SWB is one of my favorite Ferrari's, and it's a shame that Top Marques will not do it justice. I do not think this model is worth adding the MFH wheels to, unless you take apart the model, strip it, fix what is wrong, repaint and rebuild. I am pretty sure they will use the same wrong tires and wheels that they used on their 275 GTB/4. Wrong for both cars.

Some other observations on this model..... Great choice of subject, but flawed....again. Yes I do realize this is an early 'grey sample', but if it is the car I think it is.... S/N 2689GT, from Le Mans 1961, car #14, then there are some noticeable problems. Roof line appears wrong - angled down a little too much, bottom engraving of trunk (boot) lid is wrong, tops of front and rear side vents are too short, and seats are sitting much too high. In addition to the wheel/tire problem, those are the most noticeable problems that immediately stuck out. Of course the 3 ear knock-off shown is wrong for the left side, but that's ok since this is just an incomplete sample, and I'm sure there are more inaccuracies.

I hope the engine detail will be better than what they have done so far on their other models showing engines - all have been too simple and toy like, and this will probably be bad as well. One other thing to mention.....this gray piece bears an uncanny, striking resemblance to the somewhat smaller 1:18 CMC model of the same car. All four of the flaws I mentioned are identical to the CMC model. Almost looks as though they took the CMC model, 3D scanned it, and and enlarged it with the same problems not corrected....... Maybe they did?

Three profile side view photos below. Top Marques, CMC, and the 1:1 car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr likes this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Marshall, do you think teh Elite version looks better than the Cmc?

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    An interesting item from Shizuoka!
    [​IMG]

18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    No, not really any better.

The side vents on the Elite are a little better, and bottom of trunk lid is better, but many other problems with the Elite. If I had to make a choice, which I did a while ago, I would buy the CMC. I am not giving it an endorsement as being great or accurate, but it passes the test of being better than good enough.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ok, i actually got the Elite because i really like the livery of the Stirling Moss car, and i think for the price was a good deal compared to the CMC.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  20. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Furoni, no doubt: CMC

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They also reissued the FIAT 806 Grand Prix 1927 car wich is a really nice 1/12th kit. The Alfa kit does have errors.

22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Why are there so many inaccuracies? I would think that with technology could make the jump from 1:1 to 1:12 perfectly. Might inaccuracies be a function of limitations in the molding equipment?

23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The only limitations are with the people at these companies, it is definitely not the equipment. They do not put enough effort into proper research, and really understanding what they are modeling. They don't want to spend the time or money getting it right. I have been dealing with this for many years.

24. Jogueto

Jogueto Rookie

May 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jorge Guerrero
    I just bought the 1/12 Enzo Ferrari by Tamiya from eBay for less than $300 and free shipping from Japan

Rosey likes this.