1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 36 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    1/12th scale GP replicas W196 is now listed in the catalog. I had a 1/10th model of this car many years ago that had hand laced wires. The wire wheels are wrong on the GP model as for this car they should be those special outside laced Mercedes type, not deep offset wires like on this model.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    The 1:10 was probably by Patrice de Conto when he made models for ACB in Paris

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes it was. Sold it to Hillary Raab a few years ago.

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Bigger is not always better.... I'd rather have the more detailed 1:18 model from CMC.

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Second photo is quite interesting. You can see at once all 5 places where the number "18" is on the car.

7. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    I agree about CMC having more details; but they don't always get the details right either, such as leaving the metal wheels unpainted and using the same 'squeege' wipers on their models. It's up to buyer to decide what he values most.

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes David, I agree, and I am one of the biggest, and loudest critics of CMC. And my favorite scale is 1:12. Nonetheless, CMC's 1:18 W196 Streamliner models are overall better than the the bigger Top Marques piece. Buyers can obviously decide for themselves as to what they value the most, but that does not make both models equal in any way.

furmano likes this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess 1/18 is so crowded that 1/12 is the new buisness!! i wold love to..but i prefer to keep my marriage.....

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I understand Pedro.....space for some collectors is definitely an issue. I collect 1:12, and space is getting crowded. Many of these manufacturers are making 1:12 but are failing to deliver models good enough to be desirable in that scale. You can always get away with more mistakes in smaller scales, but the bigger you go, the more you can see, and more detail, accuracy and overall quality is also expected. GT Spirit is a good example of making bad 1:12 Ferrari models that are not worth the resin they are made of. Top Marques has also missed on some, and done well on others, but they still have many quality control issues so their models arrive with flaws. The Dino 246 GT was overall a very good piece, except for some quality problems. Details shown on some of their other 1:12 models - 250 Testa Rossa and Mercedes W196 are not good enough, and there are mistakes.

As far as this new future release of the 275 GTB/4 is concerned.... It looks fairly good, but off in shapes, but that might be just due to the use of the wide angle lens those photos were taken with. I did notice a few mistakes…. They have obviously used one particular car with items unique to it.... I can sort of live with the two added mirrors, but....
    1) Looks like they have put a hole in the right rear fender for an antenna....not a good thing to do, and wrong for most of these cars.
    2) The shelf under the rear window is incorrect. Should be completely flat – no pleats, and no speakers.
    3) Caught a glimpse of the dash… and it appears to be that of a 275 GTB which is much different than that of a GTB/4.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Might be my mistake Marshall, i said gtb/4...and perhaps i quoted it wrong...perhaps it's just a gtb...

12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Pedro, you quoted correctly. It is a GTB/4. The photos are definitely of a GTB/4. Easy to tell by the hood bulge, and the exterior trunk hinges.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  13. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    External trunk hinges do not distinguish 2-cam from 4-cam. The long nose 2-cam also had the larger rear window and external trunk hinges. The short nose had the smaller rear window and internal trunk hinges. Interestingly, this Top Marques model prototype appears to correctly capture the more vertical rear spoiler of the 4-cam compared to long nose 2-cam. Aside from other items mentioned as flaws, the shape is not bad overall from photos.

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks for the added info, most of which I knew, but did not put in. Hood bulge is of course specific. Regardless, this is a model of a 4-cam. And yes, shape is not bad, but can not say for sure until I have one in my hands, or at least see good photos taken with no distortion.

15. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I totally was going to say the same thing. 1:12 with a base gets pretty big. Can't have too many before you run out of room. So pick and choose in 1:12. And be grateful that there are options in 1:18. That wasn't the case ~15 years ago (mostly just cheap die cast, with a few exceptions).

-F

energy88 and Lusso123 like this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Absolutely right. Definitely have to be selective with picking which ones to buy. This upcoming 1:12 Top Marques 275 GTB/4 model is a perfect example of the dilemma..... I like 1:12 a lot, but I do already have a great 1:18 BBR model of this car. So.... do I get rid of the 1:18 and buy the 1:12, or keep both, or just stay with the 1:18 model? My decision will have to wait until I see a final production model from Top Marques.

17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The 1:12s are really a fashion statement for decorating in "man only" areas (like an office). Use sparingly. The general public, since they do not customarily see this scale available in stores, are "wowed" when they actually see one of these on display versus a car lot full of 1:18s. That is why special models in tasteful colors are so important. And if you happen to find the car of your dreams in the giant 1:8, then the price goes up to almost that of a good used car and you get grilled by the wife why you need that much "car" in your space. :eek:

18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I have to strongly disagree. "fashion statement", etc. is definitely Not the case for a certain segment of model collectors and the clients I've been dealing with for over 30 years.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Hmm. The shape doesn't look right at all and ugly US version rear bumper.

Jonathan

furmano and Lusso123 like this.
  21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    +1. Shape does not look quite right; tires might also be a little too small, and the seats are definitely bad. I think they are also making a GTB version. Looks like they have set their sights on making many Ferrari's in 1:12th scale. Too bad they are duplicating cars that there are already very good models of in 1:18, and some of the 1:18s are much more detailed than these big ones. I'm not impressed.

22. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    The wheels do seem a bit off, the tire profile too thick.

The 3/4 window slats are for a GTS, not a GTB. There’s also a line on the roof where the targa roof break would be.

In general, I wonder if the camera lense is skewing the shape. Kind of like what is happening in the photos of the 275 GTB.

-F

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  24. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona