0858 to be auctioned | Page 15 | FerrariChat

0858 to be auctioned

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by thepinkumbrella, Apr 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    Ed,

Have you checked either the Prunet's Ferrari Sports and Racing or Pritchard's Scarlet Passion, they MIGHT have something about it ??
    I have them and tomorrow will have a little look and see

Cheers
    Tim

2. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    The only way I'd like to see 0858 revert to a P4 appearance would be for the 0858 owner, David Piper, and Jim G sit down and thrash out a deal:

David relinquishes the original 0860 body to 0858 owner in return for a new make P4 body for his 0900 ( + $$$ !!)
    Jim exchanges his 0858 tail with that from 0860.
    0858 just leaves the 350 Canam engine in it, the sound won't be any different and there is no need to race these cars any more.

That way 0858 ends up with its original tail married to the rest of an original P4 body and sort of the right engine which has been installed for decades anyway.

Jim's 0854 still has a "non-matching" but original P4 tail.

David ends up with a new body non original body on his "0900" and continues to campaign it with renewed vigour for many years to come.

In an ideal world......!

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

hmmmmm....has some merit!

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #354 Napolis, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Your "0854" should read "0846". 0854 has it's original coupe body. 0858's Spyder Tail is currently on 0846 and that's where it's staying.

David's 0900 (There are two cars claiming this chassis #) has 0860's original spyder body and 350 Can Am 0860 is currently fitted with a replica P 4 spyder body.

Cheers

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Traco did minimal mods per mark Donohues book.....IIRC

They were pretty much forced to refab the other items "replica" as the Factory had "moved on" to the 312P program........

From memory......

I don't remember the 'NASCAR motor' part they turned the oil pump pressure down, as it was "shooting across the room, it was so high", the motor immediately made more horsepower..
    I'll have to read thru all that again...

The MAIN thing was The Captain went out and bought them all matching tennies shoes, and the rest is history! LOL!

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #359 BigTex, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    0900a, 0900b, and the third one turned out to be (a repaired) 0846 known as 0900c.........again speaking from memory...

Looking forward to the book, once you plug in your new knowledge of the serial number shenanigans by the Factory.....they'll let you publish that?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    "0900A" and "0900B" are unfinished Piper Continuations.

The other 0900 is a 312 PB.

Interestingly years before the Factory told me they swapped the identity of 0858 and 0856 at le Mans in 1967 the Crew Chief of the #24 Car (0858? 0856?) spoke of this and I quoted him in the 0846 papers.

Best

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Then the 312 is the "real" one, as it follows they'd continue on assigning VINs in Maranello, long before (or at the same time) Piper hatched his plans!!!

Natural order of things...

Glad she brought your pics back to me.......must still be a beating heart in there, somewhere!
    That one with the bugs was special to me...thanks!!!!

10. camma due

camma due Rookie

Nov 19, 2008
    US
    Traco did major mods to the mill.

And the sneakers were classic. Hobbs was the only one too eschew the tennis shoes and crew cut.

11. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    according to Antoine Prunet in Ferrari Sports and Racing cars, the chassis of the 350 Can Am, was strictly 2400mm, as per the P3 and P4, he makes absolutely no difference between the series. Eaton's the complete Ferrari has nothing specifically dealing with the chassis alterations. Finally Pritchard's Ferrari book had nothing about changing of chassis length, but DID clearly state that the centre of the monocoque was changed to Glass Fibre skinning and the body was created out of glass fibre. Make of that what you will.

Cheers
    Tim

12. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Once again you're correct. I used to know this. Its been awhile since I did any research into these cars for when I made the resin miniatures of them. At the time I had looked up every measurement and collected every photo I could on them. I'm getting forgetful.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Me too.

Best

14. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Prunet's book is a good one. And even that book doesn't go into too much detail about Can am and no reason it should. It was such a half baked effort. I am fairly certain the P4 Can Am cars were 2400mm except the one based on the P3 (0844 I think) which ran at Bridgehampton in 67 and would have most likely retained the longer wheelbase.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think they did some suspension mods on the 0858 350 Can Am, but mainly to cover the added horsepower (bigger springs/shocks)? The gearbox and block are the same physical size I am pretty sure , other that being bored out. That would leave it at 2400MM like a P4??

I hope someone is able to measure the car as it is now soon.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo-Strictly 43rd Revival model/photo contest-April 2010-Chicago