05596 - Barn Find | Page 7 | FerrariChat

05596 - Barn Find

Discussion in '206/246' started by isuk, May 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    More likely the engine seized from loss of coolant and overheating or loss of oil pressure?

The kind of idiot who would continue to drive a car with gauges showing dire problems would be the kind who would let it sit unprotected for decades.

Would it be easier to just make an entire new car and just transfer the chassis number plate and few usuable parts that can be removed from that rusty hulk?

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    As an incidental note, Freeman, a British bike builder once built me a frame using both Reynolds (UK) and Columbus lightweight tubing. He preferred Columbus stays, which were tapered and not pinched as Reynolds was. Both are double-butted. Smaller ID at the ends where stress is greatest.

Andres

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #153 synchro, May 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dennis McCann had the large oval tubing made up and it worked out well.
    I know where the last meter or so of it is, Dennison International used some in a recent restoration.

As Dinos approach the 275 pace of valuations there will be more that get restored to a higher level
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferrari-nut

ferrari-nut Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANTHONY
    Graham, I'm not quite sure I understand your post, but is this not the case withe many "blue chip" cars that have been restored? I doubt this ever effected prices in any way. Especially if you see some of the results on certain V12 cars that have passed through certain auction houses in the last few years.

5. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This has always been the case with racing cars which have been heavily crashed, "rolled up into a ball", written off, etc and have basically been completely reconstructed. Only the chassis number plate is what left the factory but it is still considered to be a genuine car.

Emotionally I think I wouldn't want a car that was 90% reconstructed but that's just me.

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    While original is better, in the end owning say the car that won Le Mans (overall) in 1965 is way cooler ... even if it has had the most extensive restoration.

In fact I know of a serious collector that swapped his fully restored 60's TR for a wrecked TR that had a better competition history. Note I might have some details of this story wrong.

My point is they are all just metal and rubber, it is their history that makes them unique.
    Pete

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I am really looking forward to cheering on the new owner and watching the process if it's done with passion by the right people with the right tools and the right parts. If it was done by man once, it can be done again!

Freeman

9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, yes and yes. Trafiltubi can make to order but the min. quantity makes it cost prohibitive. Seems you have to know someone in Italy...

10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I find it amazing that the auction company, nor any of the forum posters, tippey-toe around who the motorcycle racer was? You can't libel someone that has passed, so why not say his name? I wonder if it was Barry Sheene? Anyway, it seems in the States if a car was formerly celebrity owned, they'd be shouting that from the rooftops. Also I am curious to know did a barn finder buy it for a song and take it to auction or was it the motorcycle racers's relatives that brought it to auction?

Finally if it was an aluminum bodied 206GT parked in a garage in UK for same amount of time, would its underside be as rusted as the Andrea Dorea as well? I remember buying a Bizzarrini parked outside in Ohio and though the alloy body didn't look too bad, underneath the only color was RUST

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Unreal. That thing is worth 40k us dollars IMO. not a cent more.

Cars: We All Fall in Love With Our Models: Ferrari 246 Dino Market: 2012 Review

Interesting article showing figures. Doesn't even account for the US cars, so you can basically take that number, and add about 25 cars to it at least. 65-70 DIFFERENT cars available for sale per year. Yeah, what a rare car the Dino is, LOL. Also shows the amount of vehicles offered for sale per year, which to me is the the most interesting and useful tool. These cars have not become more obscure, which is the main environment for a valid price increase (in conjunction with a strong economy). There are still PLENTY of these cars out there. But hey if a bunch of hedge funds and brokers decide to buy them up, drive up the price, and take all of the suckers who are willing to shell out 500k, then it is what it is. Fact is, that car is realistically worth somewhere between 180-240k. Lots of people lighting a quarter mil on fire this year

12. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I saw the car last week, even the wishbones are rusted through . My engine builder has been tasked with the engine rebuild. I believe body panels are being made by the panel beater I used then it's going out of the uk to be completed. Mine was bad when I got it. This one is another level although it is very original

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My car was very very bad, probably worse than most, except that it was not terminal.

Personally, after looking at the photos, I think there is very little that does not have to be
    re fabricated, including a new chassis.

This car is very original...rust, and yes, if the bankroll is big enough, any car can be totally reconstructed.

Marcel quite succinctly has put it, that "cars have been remade around a tach needle".

Imagine this, if the wishbones are rusted through, the chassis has to be worse.
    On the positive side, the fibreglass ought to be good ;)

The heads, I dread the thought, the remainder of the motor and the transmission frozen solid. The only winner here, was the seller.

This poor Dino, is a dog, and a dead one at that.

Regards, Alberto

14. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    The car was sold at auction for £132,250 (£115k exc premium) in May.

1973 Ferrari 246GT Dino 'Barn Find' - Silverstone Auctions

Thank you for referencing the work on my blog.
    Cars: We All Fall in Love With Our Models

15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    How do you just not care enough to even throw a tarp over the poor thing?

Amazing. Guess with what it sold for, kinda doesn't matter...

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    A tarp over it--it probably would have been worse off rust wise....

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #168 Ferrari 308 GTB, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Hi, now 3 years after this one surfaced,just wondering if any progress was made on the restoration ? Where did it go to in the end?

With UK prices now pushing £500K maybe not so bad a deal after all?

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I was hoping to see her fully restored in this thread, too. Especially since she was more like a pool find than a barn find.

19. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    AH, I WONDERED WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE " BLUE DINO AT COOPER CLASSICS "