045961 on the road | Page 2 | FerrariChat

045961 on the road

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rrbnut, Nov 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    well,the good news and the bad news:
    Had on Wednesday the appointment with the lab which can certify the car for California registration. The weather was great, sunshine, about 70 degrees F , light traffic for a change to Orange County. About 135 miles round trip; my first large trip in the car-and it ran awesome!! Smooth as can be, sounding great and just fun to drive- accelerated from 65mph to 85 mph in a heart beat - loved it. Got there on time. This is the one place in Southern California authorized to do this inspection/job (the other place on the list given no longer does this work). Took about an hour .... and now the bad:
    In order to get CA certified, the car needs: ECU unit, oxigen sensor, frequency valve, evap system, new certified cats )each side). Once all done, they will do the FTP testing, injection certification ,take it to the referee (who allows it into DMV system and assigns the BAR VIN number) and have it smog checked : all for just $12,000 and takes 10 weeks !!!!!! :( :( While I thought this might be a possibility, the reality of it still hit hard. Put a damper on Thanksgiving. So I thought about it long over the last 2 days and decided to sell the car, as wonderful as it is, and then try to find one that is CA legal/certified.
    From my posts here you know what I paid for the car and all in am at $45,100, have docs,invoices etc. Taking lots more pictures of the car. I will offer it here first to all and like to get at least that amount. If no bites here I will advertise it in US and Europe for $48.500 to have some room.
    Sad sad story but for me the way now to go. Anyone interested send me a pm.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A friend of mine went through the process on an injected boxer. He had to run Testarossa bosch KE with lambda trying to retain the original look of course and after a lengthy 18 month process (not 10 weeks) the car is now BAR certified. The upside for him is now that the cars have dramatically increased in value it was worth it but it wasnt at the time.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Klaus,

Yikes... I am sorry to hear this!

Was the $12K including all the parts and effort, or was it simply the cost to go through the CA Smog certification process? I ask, as if the $12K is to get the car fully CA certified (i.e. $12K all in) then it may be worth to spend the $$$ and do it. I say this, as you could easily spend this amount or even more on another car that is "supposedly" CA certified... effectively you know what you have with your car, but there would be unknowns with another car you purchase... and these unknowns could be costly.

Anyway, just a thought...

Best of luck on whichever direction you choose!

Cheers,

Sam

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Or you could move out of California......that's always an option.
    I just don't get why California doesn't have a rolling 25 year emissions thing. If it's over 25 years old, who cares? I just don't get it.

Sorry to hear man.......

5. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Sam and Newman, appreciate those thoughts and had those too; always a gamble, isn't it :) Am just not ready to go through the steps, the wait and what else may come; if I find a well sorted car like mine but BAR approved, I don't mind spending some money on the known. Again, appreciate it.

6. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Brian, look who we have as Governor in CA- there is the answer; a couple of bills were introduced into legislature to make that and similar changes, even one that stated : any car over 30 years no matter the exhaust numbers, pay to the State $300 a year flat fee for priviledge,did not even make it to a vote. Financially would have been great for our sorry deficit State, but nooo, the overall imperceptible fumes are bad bad bad! Can drive you batty!

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    No idea who you have as governor. But yeah--that bill is something that all "car guys" in CA should be pushing hard for.

8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Yikes Klaus, so sorry to hear, but as Sam and Newman pointed out, CA BAR-stickered cars do carry a premium and even with the cost of the certification, although a lot at $12K, you may still end up ahead with this sorted car instead of buying an unknown BAR car.

Not an easy decision and I don't envy you for it, but best of luck... It's a beautiful car and you've done some great work on it. I hope it stays in CA if at all possible - we need more of these beauties here!

Cheers!

Ruben

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    that is just sad. really sorry to hear this stuff. I think you are correct in making the decision.

10. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    thanks guys for the thoughts and comments

11. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Klaus......somewhere in my shed is a cardboard box with a frequency valve, ECU, resistor, fuel vapor check valve, a ball of wire, a vapor can......and whatever else I removed from my 400i which is no longer needed in Florida.....you are welcome to all of it for your California certification if you want it.
    Just trying to keep another soul on the road.

Gary

12. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Hi Gary,
    thanks so much for that offer,very generous of you;let me talk with my mechanic what he is able to do or think.
    Really appreciate that.

13. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well you can't ask for more than that!

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't imagine what modifications are needed to install an ECU on a 400i with mechanical fuel injection! How does California get away with requiring cars that are 30 or more years old to comply with current air quality standards?

15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    It's so sad that you guys have to jump through so many ridiculous (and ridiculously expensive) hoops to keep and old car that will do bugger all miles on the road. Honestly, my heart goes out to you.

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I'm not sure anything is needed from a ECU perspective, but I may be wrong. That said, the car only has to comply with CA emissions at the time when it was new... current emissions rules would likely be unattainable.

Ruben

17. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Klaus, I'm a ways north in San Jose, but you're welcome to check out my 412 anytime if you want to see how things may go together.

If seeing the car live isn't convenient, I'd be happy to take some pics... just let me know what you'd like to see.

Cheers!

Ruben

18. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #44 Part Time, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #45 Part Time, Nov 29, 2015
  20. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  21. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #47 Part Time, Nov 29, 2015
  22. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Hi Gary,
    great! Thanks so much;have forwarded to Erik to look at, my mechanic.

23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White