00045351 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Pcar928fan, May 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dave,

This car is currently for sale on ebay. Looks really nice! What can you tell me about it?

ebay item #: 200225411118

James
    Austin, TX

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can tell you someone cheaped out and put the wrong size tires on it so the speedo, rpm's, and ride is off.
    And those painted wheels have to go. So figure $2400 for tires plus $520 for wheel refinishing and you're at $3,000 right out of the box.
    No US quarter markers is nice and rare.
    I take it you saw that the front spoiler has been hit and is falling off on the driver's side. Pretty easy to hit that spoiler and really easy to hit it when the tires are too small and make the car ride lower.
    Its going to be a bit$h getting the dash out to repair that rip in the leather.
    Look by the battery. What is the green thing? There isn't supposed to be anything green there.
    That is indeed the correct pouch for the tool & first aid kit. Obviously we don't know if the tools and first aid stuff is there.
    Great color. Those cars look beautiful in blue.
    Spare tire is correct size.
    The ad says a "major" was just done. Considering there isn't any such thing on a 400 series I wonder what they mean. Ask to see the invoices to see what was done.

Thats what I can tell you.

I can't remember, do you need the automatic for the possibility of hand controls? Can you manage a stick?

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #3 aidanparte, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    James

Seems like a decent enough car to me. If a PPI checks out, it looks like good value. I quite like the painted wheels, too.

Body looks to be in great shape overall.

Aidan
    PS If you buy it, I'll pick it up and drive it to Austin for you!

4. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Aidan,

That is a HECK of an offer! It is still to early for me and I am still looking for Red/tan (like the 412...LOVE that car, that is up in Canada). I saw this one though and I had not seen anything about it here so thought I would ask.

Dave, I did notice the grill falling off and figured the rip in the dash would be like 928's w/ ripped dash...think EXPENSIVE! Like Aidan I kind of like the wheels...they are certainly not tasteless but they are CLEARLY not stock and I also like the lower profile tires. I would prefer to keep the overall proper diameter with a bigger wheel and lower pro tire vs. what they did here, but still very interesting.

I thought someone else might be interested in it too.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

Aidan, if you want to check it out and need to use me as an excuse I would love to see the report from an enthusiast!

Best to you all!
    James

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

Yuck!

You have to go through Houston because I want to see that blue interior. I'll bet its is much nicer looking than the pictures show. I like my creme interior, but that one is good looking.

6. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    James

I'm on the other coast, so not very handy for checking it out. I would relish the thought of cruising the 1400 miles between Covina and Austin, though. The 400 is really comfortable!

Aidan

7. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ah, yea, I got the impression you were close to its current location! Sorry about that.

Dave, I am not sure about that light blue...I sure HOPE it looks better in person. I would prefer your Crema on a Rosso Corsa, or a tan interior...

Best,
    James

8. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dave,

Here is the message I got back about the "major" service:

James, I apologize as our listing was changed. Service included Timing Belt, all Belts and Hoses, both fuel Distrubitors, Brakes and Rotors, and Fuel Acculumaters. Tires have less than 1500 Miles since being replaced. Hope this helps, Keith

Best,
    James

9. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    400 don't have timing belts, they have chains. The valves should be adjusted too.

Aidan

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As Aidan said that smells funny, no belts on a 400i.
    They should have said, "wrong tires have less than..."

11. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    This is a feel good answer with no infomation. As previous noted there are no timing belts, so now it sounds like a pat answer and
    the term 'service' is really misleading, did they change the belts and hoses? are did they check them? maybe they were adjusted? There is a huge diffrence. And how would a person "service" a fuel distrubitor? When we find out we should at lease let Bosch know since Bosch has no real "service" info. on them.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <laughing> good one, wish I'd thought of it.

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    As others have pointed out, that reply is total BS. Ask for copies of the detailed service invoice, with list and numbers of parts replaced, and talk to the shop that performed the "service".

If you are still interested, you should proceed on the basis that nothing significant has been done.

14. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    They forgot to mention that the service included sizing the tires.

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski

agreed...and that is really the important point in all of this, IMO. if you didn't see the service done with your own eyes, then you don't know ****.
    the only exception, IMO, would be if a highly, highly regarded shop was to stand behind a fully documented (pics included) service.
    otherwise, assume nothing, trust no one and take nothing for granted. sounds harsh, but so is a $25, 000 invoice.

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

You are 100% on the money. If you need proof, go to www.tomyang.com and look at the restoration diary. That is my car. Look at the quality of the work done by the previous shop - it was represented to me by the shop that did the work for the previous owner as having a fresh $25K rebuild, look at the quality of work. Note: the compression and leakdown were always good, it would havce passed a PPI.

After Francois Sicard finishes it (with photo documentation!) I know it will be right, but as you said, the rebuild cost is an expensive lesson.

Regards,

Art S.

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    that is a tough blow Art. i love your car and i really feel for you. there is nothing you could have done and i hope there is some comfort in that.
    all the best,

brett

18. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Guys, here is the last post from this putz selling the pretty blue 400i on ebay. Might want to file this guy as one to avoid in the future!

James

Here is the insulting reply:

FYI. The fuel distributors were replaced. All belts and hoses were replaced. By the way do any of your friends actually own 400's or do they just type on the Internet like yourself. I find it very interesting that the only people who criticize other peoples listings or ads are the only ones that don't own a car. Go buy yourself a nice older classic and you won't have to spend your days on the Internet. By the way it's much more fun to Drive than Type.

19. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    What a tool.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Well at least you now know that you will not be buying the car.

22. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The best proof that the seller has something bad to hide is when he insults you for asking a normal question about his representations.

You could try and negotiate a lower price based on the no service records but the reality is that this guy does not want to sell to someone who knows anything about these cars. He is looking for a Ferrari virgin and a mark that he can take advantage of. Someone with the red mist and Ferrari fever in their eyes who will buy without any due diligence.

John

23. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike

Quelle jerk !......as they say in Quebec and, for all I know, in Paris Texas as well !

Mike

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree with you John. Nothing wrong with asking a few questions. An honest seller would have no trouble at all explaining in detail the service he has posted and would be happy to do so. Afterall if it was legit, it would be a selling feature and not something you'd want to slam a guy for asking about.

Maybe we should all log on to Ebay and hit the "make an offer" button. Offer $50 and then give him the link to this thread. <chuckle> Then he could come here and insult ALL of us at once since none of us know anything about these cars :rolleyes:

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How the h$ll do you know about Paris Texas Mike?