0 to 60 in 2.67 seconds on two consecutive runs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

0 to 60 in 2.67 seconds on two consecutive runs

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Apr 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Depends on how you measure "performance" . If its just numbers on paper, or 1 lap then yes Zr1 will have more performance.

If its real track ability, ie sustained performance on an actual track for multiple laps all day then the z06 will be king even if some arcane 0-60 or single lap is slower than Zr1. Two types of performance.

For sure if track is not ones priority ZR1 will have more on road perfomance, unless you live near a mountain, and even then both these cars will have more performance than can remotely sanely be deployed on road.

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Indeed. I'm speaking of the almighty 0-60/1/4 mile numbers that get bench raced, ad nauseum, on the internet.
    My hope (!) is that the C8 Z06 goes back to the C5/C6 Z06 philosophy. And then they can make some gonzo hybrid/TT/AWD crazy thing (ZR1/Zora/who knows) to satisfy everyone that just has to HAVE 900+ horsepower!

boxerman likes this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I just saw a video where the F8 absolutely smokes the C8, leaves it very far behind. The C8 does well to 60 though.

4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Hmmm....so, you're saying an F8 is faster than the base C8? Well, who knew? Amazing what an additional 225 horsepower will do, huh.
    Bet you a Huracan is faster also. Ditto 600LT, Ditto 720S, Ditto EVERY $250,000++ mid-engine car out there.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The C8 is being touted as a super car and claimed to be as fast as cars 2x or more its price. It's not even close. Probably not much faster than a C7. I personally dont get the hype, I dont think it looks as good as the outgoing model either. For that price range I'd much rather have a 997 TTS or 10 other cars.

6. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You'd be in a tiny minority. You'll get the hype in spades when the four cam rolls out.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont think so, it has an allure right now because its new and there aren't many out there. The Z06 renderings I've seen look promising though. From a performance standpoint I thought it would have done much better based on the hype and claimed times but the std C8 is not quite there. I would still favor a later model Viper ACR if I went for an American sports car.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Two different animals. The Viper was hard core car.

Best description of the current C8 is a learjet for the road. Its a comfy quick Gt car. I agree the allure of the STD car will wear off, and it didnt live up to the Hype promise, being too big and heavy and comfort orientated, plus styling is no knockout. So far were dealing with a better built vette that has the motro in the middle, however great suspension bits are there and a ME layout means lots of future potential.

Later versions will be faster and may have a number of different defnitions of faster ie z06 track Zr1 road etc., well see if they live up to the promise, it will never be light or small or really stiff like a CF Maclren, so while the ZR1 and Zora may be an american take on bugatti road performance Im not sure that the z06 will really take on a Gt3 or pista because weight size and stiffness do matter in that track/performance category.

On the other hand the NA motor in the z06, that will be a usp compared to the Macca and ferrai, and is a big factor both in driving pleasure and on the limit balance that turbo cars have to try work around with electronics. This is elctronicaly indiuced balance in turbo cars is detrimental to driving pleasure and on the limit driver controlled balance.. The C6 z06 showed weight can be lost and a chassis can be made to dance, but that takes will and a willingness to make what ends up being a low volume raw version, something Gm abandoned in the C7, so valid questions remain..

Think of it as a less expensive more reliabe and more useable Macklaren, and yes so far the perforrmace is way off Maclren levels to the extent thats relevant in a road car. Its certainly no worse looking than a 720 and its certainly less exotic than a 720, but I suspect the customer type is not that different other than budget. The majority will be used in the same manner too.

At 150k though will a 1000hp Zora be less apealing as a road car than a 720?

Hard to say, we havent seen the better versions of the vette yet, and while potential is there it is yet to be realized.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    No comparison to a 720 in any way. It looks more like an NSX merged with McLaren GT. Mish mash of of panels.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Neither is a pretty or really astheticaly appealing car. The Maclkren has a more exotic stance for sure (the cockpit is cool), the design is most kindly put as form follows function but its not a great form. The vette sadly reeks of camaro in its styling, looks like some kids got loose with the computer and just kept adding random creases to break up the bulk, looks almost appealing in some colors (besides the rear). The shape seems to work when bulked up on the C8R(based on photos), the exageration of shape gives it a lambo agression. Well see in the flesh with the z06, hopefully they take it all the way, vented fenders etc.

Based on styling alone I wouldnt buy a standard C8, it would hurt my eyes (especialy in any bright color), But I can say the same for a 720. However the C8R indicates the shape when blown up can work, maybe. Its a big car no hiding that so might as well go with it.

The two picks of the current bunch stylisticaly are the Pista and the Hurricane, but both those cars lack the "practicality" the C8 has to have by mandate. Therin lies the rub, besides built to a price compromieses the vette had to work for old lardasses to get in and out while taking 2 golf bags to the club. Whether they can work around this inbuilt compromise sufficiently in a z06 is going to be interesting to see.

Great thing is a z06 does not have to beat anyone 0-60 or 1/4 mile thats not its purpose. The center exhauist mules indicate they may scarp the 2 golf bags mandate and make a shorter(overall not wheelbase) lighter car. One can hope. We also read that build is vastly imporved, so one of the vettes traditonal shortcomings may already be a thing of the past. It is the 21st century and if Alfa can build a great tight car GM can too.

Maclren may always be a "performance notch above some vette, but were getting to the point where the delta is practicaly and functionaly irrelevant. Dynamics, styling etc are going to be really diffrentiators at this level of performance for all marques.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes but C8 is literally 1/5 the price, which is a big deal. They certainly prioritized 0-60 performance with the C8 through gearing, weight transfer, suspension, etc. If they can keep the same launch control efficiency in the Z06 it will keep up with an F8 to 130 mph+ and cost 1/3 the price. I'm excited to get my C8 and just have a car to have fun in where I don't care about what it costs, or leaving it parked somewhere, etc.

Drson, thecarreaper, DIGMAN52 and 2 others like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Certainly a lot of car for the money. I am commenting specifically on the hype that was built up on performance which isn't there. Also for me, I dont think aesthetically thise looks will last. It is cool right now because it's the new thing. At $50k or so it would be a great trqck car. 90k to 100k there are lots of IMO better options.

boxerman likes this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Certainly you have to be interested in the potential of the platform, though. If they crank out a $300k 1000+ hp version that’s exciting.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    We shall see what they come up with but I can tell you if there is a $300k version it will likely be limited and you or I will not be able to get one without paying way over. Dealers will buy for themselves and then sell for $100K+ over. May as well be vaporware.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its a mistake to compare a Chevrolet to a Ferrari. If I owned a C8 it would be because I wanted a nice American mid-engine DD and didn't want to deal with another exotic.

16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    OK. You want a "track" car? Buy a BRAND SPANKING NEW C8 (1LT) with Z51 and mag ride. That's $68K MSRP. With a warranty. AND the blessings of GM to track it all you want (WITH a warranty).

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I bet it will need a fair amount of work to be track ready. It will probably be another 20K or so.

18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Make sure you tape the frunk shut. Just saying....

19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    $20K huh...that's a bet you would lose. PLENTY of videos of guys tracking C8's should you care to educate yourself. No one has spent $20K to prep the car for tracking. GM has VERY definitive suggestions RIGHT IN THE OWNERS MANUAL for track set up (alignment, brake fluid change, additional transmission fluid are the major items)

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its not great on Track, its Ok.

We'll see what the z06 is like. Ill use a Gt3 as the benchmark for that.

docapl likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I cant see there being any 300k version. Also Gm usualy makes as many as people want. Maybe a loaded super duper vette zora might touch 200k.
    Was at track today talking to a C8 owner, he loaded his with everything and then some, it was in the high 90s, so lets say 45k in options. A super de duper vette will probbaly base around 150k and come standard with many options.

Im figuring a well speced z06 at around 120k. A Gt3 is what 180K. Thats the vette value proposition.

22. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    There's not going to be a $300K C8...where does this kind of stupidity come from?

23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Or learn how to close it.

Face76 likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I will bet you the stock parts fail like they always have on corvettes. You will start to hear of all the engine failures once they get out there on a track.