Lotus Esprit vs Z06 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Lotus Esprit vs Z06

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Johnny USA, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Sorry, I've owned both. I'm sticking with my story.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Never happen.

3. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree. Boxster S will go down to a 97+ in a heartbeat. I still think a 91-94 will take it though without a lot of trouble.

4. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know you all hate magazine quotes, but this is all I have.

2004 258 hp Boxster S 0-60: 5.7 1/4: [email protected] R&T

1994 NSX 270 HP 0-60: 5.2 1/4: 13.6 @ 105.7 Motor Trend.

So, unless someone with a Boxster S wants to race me this weekend, I guess mags will have to do it :)

5. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Well I had a '94, and the S would smoke it. The 6 speed? That's different. Who cares anyway? I wouldn't own either now.

6. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    R&T is notorius for old lady numbers. What about C&D?

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Rudy, any Nsx is quicker than a Boxster S. No ifs ands or butts, unless maybe your Nsx was an automatic.

8. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    LOL, We went from Corvette Z06 to a Lotus Esprit, to a NSX and now to a Porsche Boxter, and a slight honda s2000 reference.. lol... come on open a new thread already!... damn the z06 fell off this convo fast! haaa

9. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Because it's so easy to s/c it, especially where I live (NSX-specific shop Autowave is 10 minutes away) that I'm going to keep it regardless and drive it into the ground.

It can certainly hold more gear than one of the other two cars I'm looking at buying later this year: A 360 CS or a Gallardo, so it will be my "practical-going-golfing-or-running-errands" sportscar unless I go soft and get that new 911-fighter Aston Marton that's coming out to replace the NSX, the AMV8 or whatever. That car looks great and will probably have more room.

10. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    My stock '99 NSX-T traps at 13.1 seconds around 108 - 110MPH on street tires, no Boxter is anywhere near that. More like 100MPH or 101MPH at BEST for the P-car.

That isn't close guy, that is a skull crushing beatdown by eight to ten car lengths, and that's just in a quarter mile.

The NSX may be boring, but at least it's not boring AND slow.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Mako, have you given any thought to the Bentley Continental GT?

12. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    No, it was a 5 speed. Maybe mine was a pig, or maybe I drive like a girl?

13. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll go with the latter :)

Mako, have you run your car at the drag strip? Those are good times. With the SC on there you should be really cooking.

Maybe when you sell it, I will buy it off you. I want a 97+ with a SC. As long as you take good care of it. Which I hope you do.

14. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Well, I'll admit I'm not man enough to drive a Viper.

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have only been for a ride in one, but it was fun as hell. I have heard they are pretty tricky on the racetrack.

Rudy, how do you like your 550?

16. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    My buddy has one on order and I'm going to give it a shakedown for sure, but I think that the Aston will be sportier in the end, with probably less luxury.

I like the Aston's looks a bit more, it's very Vanquish-esque, which isn't the popular opinion because everyone I know is rightly fawning over the Bentley. But I'm a sportcar whore so to me anything that looks like a wedge I'm going to be biased towards.

My perfect garage (within my economic abilities):

1. Ferrari 360 CS - Weekend/Track car
    2. Aston Martin AMV8 - Roadtrip/Luxury car
    3. Acura NSX - Beater

My perfect garage (only if I have a GREAT financial 2004/2005):

1. Ferrari 360 CS - Weekend/Track car
    2. Aston Martin Vanquish - Roadtrip/Luxury car
    3. Lamborghini Gallardo E-gear - Beater
    4. Lotus Elise - (Added this one because the other 3 are all E-gear style trannys. Not good to have an entire garage full of sports cars with no stick shifts, lol)

17. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    An NA2 NSX with a typical Comptech s/c setup should perform 0-100 and 0-150 runs at identical times as a 360 CS or 911GT3 based on the last two Car and Driver tests of Comptech NSXs.

That's about 10 seconds faster to 150MPH than a stock NA2 NSX, which is monstrous.

Amazing to think that's how far behind a GT3 or CS that a stock current NSX is, but it's the truth.

18. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I like my 550 a lot. I would like the replacement to get here already ( I don't consider the 575 a replacement). Something with 600 to 625 HP would be good.

19. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree. Honda reallly dropped the ball with the 2002 NSX. 290 HP is pathetic for a supercar these days. If the 2002 had come up with a 3.5L 350HP V6, I think it would have sold a lot better and been far more competitive.

Everyone else kept upgrading, adding more power, better handling etc. Honda just sat back and slept. It is very dissapointing to me.

The JGTC NSX has a turbo on it now. I think that should have been a factory option.

20. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Very few people know this, but there originally were plans for both N/A and Turbocharged versions of the NSX, with the N/A plan only going into production if enough power could be produced by beta engines through Honda's then-new variable valve timing process.

Honda's engineers felt that a turbo was not out of line with the project due to their knowledge gains and experience supplying McLaren with high output turbocharged F1 engines during the late 80s.

Honda cancelled development of the "NSX-T" (yes that was its internal codename, this was years before any thoughts of a targa existed) about midway through the design process when it became clear that 270HP was going to be enough for a 1991 sportscar, particularly when it was to compete against the more expensive 348 and the less powerful 990 platform 911.

I always wonder if Honda had come out with the turbocharged NSX instead of the VTEC version if things might have been a bit different for that car. They could have easily upped the power as the years went by, with minimal cost increases (certainly less than the move to 3.2L in 1997) and the aftermarket might have been more open as well.

Would be nice to imagine easily modifiable 500HP NSXs running around today, as there are with Skylines, Esprits, RX-7s, and Supras.

But I digress. The NSX had a great run in the early 90s, pretty much unsurpassed until the F355 and 993-platform 911 arrived. Since then it's been all down hill and Honda's lost so much money on the car that it's like pulling teeth to get them to replace or upgrade it.

21. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Personally, I don't understand why they bothered with the "refresh" in 2002. Without upgrading the HP, the car received next to NO media attention. The only US mag to even review it was Road and Track in a comparison with the Z06 and 911. Then it was out of site and has not been in a single US mag to my knowledge since. (minus maxium.. if that counts).

Honda execs must think the 2002 refresh was a flop. I don't see how they could see it any other way.

Recent tuners have shown the NSX is very sweets with 500 HP. Just ask Gerry or Factor X. :) Before you get a Comptech SC Mako, you should check them out.