Anyone have any experience w/ the Acura TL/CL navigation systems? | FerrariChat

Anyone have any experience w/ the Acura TL/CL navigation systems?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by KennyH, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Just curious if they are DVD or satelite based as well as their ease of use and reliability... Thanks!

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Hi Kenny,

Which year Acura are you looking at? I used to sell Acuras, but the system they have out now is newer (with the voice command stuff). I'm not familier with their newest one. But their I guess now "last generation" system was very sweet. It was tracked by satellite and the disc in it is a DVD. The systeem was made by Alpine. I can only think of a couple of ocassions where it got goofed up (for example I was no longer on a road according to it) But I hit a button to recalibrate it and it fixed itself. It was neat because it had a HUGE database where you could select from restaurants according to food style, find gas stations, ATM's, even type in a businesses' phone number and it would pull up the name of it with a map to its location. Plus if you ever got in a situation where construction had closed down the road you were on, hit the "detour" button and it will re-route you right from that location. You can even tell it whether or not you wanted mostly highways or none at all. The new generation ones added voice command abilitiy and douibled the amount of information on the DVD, plus improved the screen. Very easy to use - either touchscreen or it had a 4 way knob to control the cursor. It was a very, very nice system as far as navi systems in general go.

Anyway, hope this helps. Just yell if you need any other info.

3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Our 2000 Honda Odyssey has the dvd based nav and touch screen. No voice activation though. But it is sat guided. It's the BEST navigation system I've ever used bar none. Comparing Mercedes to Lexus to Honda to Porsche to BMW's.

4. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm going to be in the market for a new daily driver in a few months and am just trying sort through the enormous list of cars I'm interested- the Acura really stands out due to its FWD (needs to go in the snow) and its great reliability/reputation.

I found a really nice CL Type-S w/ Navigation and 6-speed for a decent price.. Once I really start looking I'm going to seek an identical model.

I'm horrible with directions so I figured that the navigation would be a nice addition...

Where was your Acura dealer? Have any idea how much used TL/CL 3.2's and Type S's sell for?

5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Kenny, I was at the Acura dealer in Farmington Hills, MI. If you are looking to get a used/certified Type S, I would HIGHLY reccommend getting the CL-S 6 speed. Both the TL-S and CL-S are notorious for eating automatic transmissions. No kidding. And it doesn't seem to matter if the car was babied or beat on. If my memory serves it was the third gear clutch pack that would give out. Even when I worked there I would see 3-5 transmissions a week being delivered. In fact Acura quietly extended the transmission warrenty to 7 years/100k miles. But, they stopped doing it at some point this year (2003 model year) because they claimed that they had solved the problem. It's too bad to because the cars are really very nice in every other way and a great value. Check out acura-tl.com and (I think) acura-cl.com. You'll find loads of info on what to look for if you decide to go pre owned. As for cost, depending on year and miles you'll be looking at low to mid twenties. They do hold their value quite well.

6. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    You're the best, thanks! I'm going to check those sites out in the morning.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Kenny i have 03 Tl. Guess what, just replaced the tranny. Only 22k. Wife babys it too. Anyways lot of car for the $, but... poor feel in the brakes an handling.....
    Its not a German car for sure.

8. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    The guys over at Acura-CL.com are great- they've answered all of my questions and given me various bits of advice for each model years/car- pretty similar to F-chat w/o trolls :).

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Yeah the people on those sites are pretty cool. So have you decided what direction to head in?

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    When purchasing a car my family usually narrows the search down to 4-5 and then from there we try to see who can offer us what and for how much..

I still have some time before getting the new car though- I can't have a car freshman year at school and in May, when school is out, I still have the 3.0L Z3 - I'll start SERIOUSLY looking in April/May...

Some of the cars on "my list" (all used):

Saab Aero
    Saab Viggen
    Acura RSX-S
    Acura CL/TL 3.2/Type-S
    BMW 330xi
    Jaguar X-Type 3.0L
    Subaru WRX
    Lexus IS300

Again, still have some time so I'm sure you'll hear more about it come summer.

11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    looks like a good list. Should be lots of fun shopping :)

12. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Their navi systems are one ofthe best. Better than MBZ, BMW,etc. I love the one in my TL Type-S.
    The 6 speed is a good choice becasue the autos had alotof problems. Some people had their trannies replaced 4 times!! Luckily that problem was resolved in the '03 model i have, but i still get the 100,000 mile transmission warranty that acura issued for all cars with that particular tanny. I havent heard anything bad about the 6 spds. the only possible downside is you cannot get VCS with the 6 speed.

13. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Thanks Tim, if I end up with one I expect you to teach it to me.. Apparently the 6-speed is only available in the '03 model- which might hurt my chances of getting one considering their resale values are good enough to pull it out of my price range...

14. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Resale on them is not that high at all. A very ;large percentage of CL's made are the type-s model, at least more than for the TL, which is nearly identical except for the 2 door exterior and the more supportive (and IMO more comfortable) seats. The CL i test drove felt faster and tighter than the TL, probably becasue it's lighter.
    Anyway, back to the navi question, they are awesome except its smoetimes a BIG distraction while driving. Sometimes i program it while i drive, but thats usually not a good idea and i have to stop doing that. If you get one i'll let you in on all the little tricks of the system. Oh, btw, thje system is DVD based and uses up to 8 satillites to caluclate yous position. IT also has a few gyros so if you do not get satillite reception the unit still knows where you are and which direction you are headed. The 99 models had hard drive based units, which is not as good becasue you cant swap in a new updated DVD.

15. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Oh yeah, and if you get the car from an Acura dealer, make sure you get an updated DVD as part of the deal. They are kind of expensive.

16. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    yes, they are! I think $130 for the new one, which came out a month after i got mine. I actually might get this, since it is more detailed around the albany capitol region area, where i go to school. i would assume you want this version too since you go to school in albany.

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Kenny. Im selling my 2003 Tl Its black on black 23k miles, with a new tranny. Not a S type, but im sure with a K&N filter an some bling coffee cans it would be the same. Also no DVD Navi system, seeing how you seem like the very inteligent type im sure you will find your way around just fine. Just in case I will throw in the 2004 Hagstroms USA map

18. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Comptech Supercharger anyone??

I'm a big fan of the black on black ones. Mine is Black/tan. The wood trim that comes with the tan interior looks nicer. I did not like the blackwood that came with the black interior and would you beleive you cant choose the wood pattern!!