My 456 accident... | FerrariChat

My 456 accident...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dan_London, Jun 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Guys,

I'm afraid I'll shortly be leaving this forum, I no longer have a Ferrari and have lost a great deal of my enthusiasm for the marque :(

I'm writing this posting as a cautionary tale...

On May 8th in Guildford I had an accident in my 456GT. I remember nothing, the last thing being walking down the road towards the car, but somehow it seems I lost control of the beast ten minutes later and it ended up impaled on some railings. Thankfully, no other cars were involved.

Fortunately for me, the accident took place close to a fire station, and a fire crew got to the scene very quickly and cut me out of the car. At the time I was bleeding from both femoral arteries, so it's only their prompt action which saved my life.

I've just got home from hospital in Tooting, having been there for five weeks. I won't go into great and gory detail, but my injuries are life changing.

The car is a write-off, the insurance assessor told my partner they couldn't believe the driver survived and certainly couldn't believe he got away with legs. Sadly only one of my legs did actually survive the accident.

The Police think the collision happened at about 40-50mph, which leaves me embittered about the way the car performed. In hospital, one of the nurses said to me "If you hadn't been driving such an expensive car, do you think you would have survived?". Sadly, I think the opposite is the case - the £170K (new) 456 simply crumpled up like cardboard, I doubt a £20K Saab would have done the same. Incidently, we've now bought a new Saab 93, which has a 5-star safety rating and six air bags!

Anyway, I'm not writing this to taint anyone's F-car ownership but because I think it's important to remind ourselves we're not invulnerable in that tin box. And whilst F-car's are undoubtedly wonderful on many levels, they certainly ain't built for crashing, so please go carefully out there.

Best wishes to everyone I've chatted with in the past, if you'd like to keep in touch my email address is [email protected].

Cheers,
    Dan

2. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    very sorry to hear that Dan,hope you make a full recovery soon.

3. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Dan,

I'm so sorry to hear your tale of woe, and I sincerely hope you manage to maintain some quality of life given your life changing event.

If you still wish to stay involved, there is a passenger seat in may car if you ever want it, and you will always be welcome on Fchat.

Good luck,

Stig

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Dan,

I hope you come back to check your replies- I'm sure no doubt there will be more.

I'm really sorry to hear what happened, and can only say thank God you survived. I hope time and support from family and friends will help you come to terms with your injuries.

As you say, it is events like these which must make us all treat our driving with the total care it deserves.

Best regards

Robert.

5. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Sobering stuff indeed Dan.

Thankfully you're still here to tell the tale, which is the most important thing.

I hope things work out well for the future, chin up.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'm terribly sorry to read this news. The car is unimportant. It certainly can't have been an easy 5 weeks, but it will get better. I empathize with you and hope you are able to make full use of the wonderful advancements in prosthetics.

7. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Dan,

I know exactly what you mean about the Ferraris being not strong on impact. I crash my 348 GTS two years ago on the M11 doing 30 mph. I hit the rear of a Ford focus. The whole front end of the 348 was gone including the windscreen pillar.

I hope you recover and remember life goes on.

I know becuase I nearly lost my Dad in a car crash 15 years ago. His lost control of his BMW M series at 150 MPH and hit the central barrier while in Germany. His best friend who served with my dad in vietnam died and my dad is left paralysed from the chest down. Same paralysis as Frank Williams in F1.

We never know what around the corner. My dad always says to live each day of my life to the fullist....

Take care Dan...

8. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Dan very sorry to hear of your accident,hope all goes well in the future for you,

All the best Dan
    Dale.

9. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Gutted to hear the news Dan. Hope you recover both physically and emotionally as soon as possible.

When ever I drive my fathers 456 one of the things I love is the sense of being in such a sturdy powerful car. The powerful thing is right but not it seems the sturdiness.

It will certainly make me think when I next take it out.

10. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Get well soon.

I think it does show that the only place to really enjoy these cars is outside the cities or on the track.

Dan they do say that if you fall of the horse you have to get straight back on. I share the Stigs sentiments about the spare passenger seat!

11. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    Dan this is absolutely terrible and I'm so sorry to hear what's happened to you :(
    It seems like just yesterday we were chatting via PM about the car when you first got it and how excited you were and how you were looking to drive it as often as you could.

To hell with the car mate. At the end of the day it's only a car which is replaceable but you're not.

Thank god you survived the crash. As you say, it probably saved your life being near a Fire station.

I'm so sorry to hear about your leg. For you to say your injuries are life changing is an understatement but with the support of your family and friends and with the right mental attitude, absolutely anything is possible so don't let it stop you from doing anything and everything you want to do.

I really wish you all the best mate, and sincerely hope that your injuries heal soon.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is terrible!!! :(

I join all your mates in wishing you the best...take it one day at a time, as it comes....

Best wishes from the colonies, please continue to let us know how you are doing...........

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    very sorry to hear that. Please do not forget, even though your life changed, you can still drink beer, watch tv, listen to music etc. I know at the moment the only thing you can think about is the things you miss, but after a while, please think about the things you still can do. Those will give you strength, and I bet you will need that.

Good luck, and I will definately keep your story in mind when I ever buy a Ferrari, or maybe not.

14. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Dan,
    I am deeply sorry you have been unlucky enough to go through this terrible experience. We are all at risk on the roads everyday and take this for granted, this is a sobbering reminder to many indeed.

I hope you will be able to make use of some pretty impressive modern technology in terms of prosthetics and get your life back on track. A challenge that you can be very proud indeed of conquering.

Ade

15. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jesus Dan, that's bloody awful. I wish you a speedy recovery my friend.

Kevin

16. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Dan

at least you were lucky and got to live another day (hopefully years)

hope you have a speedy recovery

17. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Dan

Your events bring home the stark realality to us all "we are only Human" and even tho we think we are invisable "we are not".

Anything at all I can do m8, just ask.

All the best with your recovery and the future...

Kind Regards

Joe

18. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Dan,

I am very sorry to read about your accident, we have never met but we are all part of one big club. I know that I speak for everyone on this site when I say that with or without a Ferrari you will always be welcome here.

If there is anything we can do to help in your recovery you only have to ask.

I wish you and your family a speedy recovery and good fortune for the future.

Best Wishes.

Phil.

19. polartech

polartech Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    Very sorry to hear of your accident Dan.

Like everyone, my very best wishes for a speedy recovery, and please do look on the positive side. Hope to see you still visiting us here; as has been said we are all one close community no matter what.

Geoff

20. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Dan,

I know this is no comfort, but same thing happened to me on a motorcycle long time ago. I lost functionality of one arm, and that changed my life forever. Better, worst, I cannot say. I lost my job, my partner and many other things. I found a fantastic wife, another work and different experiences. I still ride motorcycles, even if it took a while to learn again (mainly to modify controls...).
    So never say never. You will make it and, one way or another, you will find your way out of it.

All the best

Eugenio

21. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Hi Dan

Very unfortunate circumstances. Try and stay in touch with the folks on the board , good bunch of people always willing to try and help out wherever possible.

All the best
    James

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Dan,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about this. Best of luck as you continue to recover, and never give up hope...

Thank you for taking the time and courage to post on FerrariChat. Your message serves as an important reminder to all of us.

23. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Dan, I am very sorry to hear that. I just sent you an e mail.

24. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thank you for the courage to share your story.
    My best wishes to you.

Regards,

Tom

25. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Best of luck in your recovery. Im so sorry to hear of such news. take care!