Enzo, Carrera GT & SLR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Enzo, Carrera GT & SLR

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Alex_V, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Silver99

Silver99 Rookie
    BANNED

May 22, 2004
    Here are the full results, since the board seems very interested. It was a great piece, I wish more magazine editors followed their lead and tested at large oval tracks with 2+ mile straights:

AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT SUPERTEST

Top Speed
    220.6mph - Ferrari Enzo
    207.5mph - MB SLR McLaren
    207.4mph - Porsche Carrera GT
    205.1mph - Lamborghini Murcielago

0-100kph (62.1mph)
    3.6 - Ferrari Enzo
    3.7 - Lamborghini Murcielago
    3.8 - MB SLR McLaren
    3.8 - Porsche Carrera GT

0-200kph (124.3mph)
    10.3 - Ferrari Enzo
    10.7 - MB SLR McLaren
    10.7 - Porsche Carrera GT
    12.5 - Lamborghini Murcielago

0-300kph (186.4mph)
    26.1 - Ferrari Enzo
    30.6 - MB SLR McLaren
    34.2 - Porsche Carrera GT
    37.5 - Lamborghini Murcielago

1/4 Mile Results
    11.4 @ 131.7mph - Ferrari Enzo
    11.5 @ 129.2mph - Porsche Carrera GT
    11.5 @ 128.6mph - MB SLR McLaren
    11.8 @ 121.2mph - Lamborghini Murcielago

150mph to 0mph Brake Test (feet)
    626 - Porsche Carrera GT
    696 - Lamborghini Murcielago
    705 - Ferrari Enzo
    725 - MB SLR McLaren

Standing Kilometer
    20.1 @ 172.7mph - Ferrari Enzo
    20.4 @ 165.3mph - Porsche Carrera GT
    20.5 @ 167.1mph - MB SLR McLaren
    21.4 @ 156.0mph - Lamborghini Murcielago

Enjoy. :)

2. markr

markr Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    N. Virginia
    Yes, I agree. It seems that most people can't see the past the lack of heritage thing. I would like to see some numbers from a few different sources on the S7 to see where it would fall. I know it has been tested but I would like to see multiple test data from more than one source. On the other hand it is the only one of these cars that is actually being raced at this time.

3. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    "Aside from all that nonsense and spin on the part of Ferrari, the Enzo is a fantastic car in its own right. I'd love to see how one would do at the Nurburgring, but Ferrari won't allow it. I'd love to see how one would do at Hockenheim, but Ferrari won't allow it. I'd even love to see how one would do on Top Gear's little old Lotus test track....

....but Ferrari won't allow it.

Meanwhile everyone else, including Lamborghini, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, Zonda, etc, have actually paid to ship press cars to each of those locations, regardless of the competition present, to see how their cars stack up.

Come on Ferrari, let the Enzo stretch its magnificent legs. Let it run. If it's F1-inspired, then let's see how it beats down some F1 tracks. Why not? What is there to lose? They're such a tease...But the more aggressive of the Enzo owners won't stand on the sidelines forever. Sooner or later one is going to slip through and we'll see just how great the Enzo can be. :)

Until then, the CGT reigns without peer."

As unbecoming as it is......it's true and very surprising. Ferrari not wanting to race? And of all things, the car named after il Commendatore? Something must give.

Forza,

Cavallini

4. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If that is the best you can do, I wonder who is smoking the pipe. BTW, when your head is cleared of smoke I will let you in on a little secret. Porsche does not participate in racing programs. They have been out of the racing business for several years.

5. Silver99

Silver99 Rookie
    BANNED

May 22, 2004
    I agree, the S7 is a strong performer in its price range. I was just thinking last night that it's nice that the US has a true supercar, even if it's a low-volume independant shop that's making it. Not sure I'd opt to buy it however, when at an MSRP of $404k it's perilously close to the CGT. It's also close to the Zonda S, but I believe that only two of those have been Federalized for sale in the US to date.

To answer your question about times, the only magazines that have tested the car are US-based (that I'm aware of) and they tested the same S7 press car. Only Motor Trend, Road and Track and Car and Driver have posted complete test results, while Automobile and Autoweek magazines have both driven the car and reported on it but did not test the car with their speed measurement devices.

Here are the results:

SALEEN S7

0-60MPH
    3.3 - Car and Driver (USA)
    3.3 - Road and Track (USA)
    3.9 - Motor Trend (USA)

0-100MPH
    7.6 - Car and Driver (USA)
    8.1 - Motor Trend (USA)
    8.9 - Road and Track (USA)

1/4 Mile
    11.6 @ 126mph - Car and Driver (USA)
    11.8 @ 126mph - Motor Trend (USA)
    11.8 @ 120mph - Road and Track (USA)

Those results place it in the supercar heirarchy as being slightly faster than a Murcielago, but slower than the SLR/CGT. And well behind an Enzo. On item of note: The S7's 1st gear provides a 63mph top speed at redline, negating the need to make a time-sapping shift during 0-60MPH test runs. Yet another reason why that test is so antiquated with today's ultra-performance cars.

On a racetrack the pecking order might change thanks to the S7's large amount of mechanical and aerodynamic grip, combined with a high top speed (MFG estimates 220MPH - 222MPH). This could place it above both the Murci and SLR in terms of lap times on an average course, but it likely wouldn't surpass either the CGT or the Enzo.

6. markr

markr Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    N. Virginia

Hey thanks for the info. I can't say I would buy it over an Enzo, CGT, Murci, or even a Zonda. However, I would love to have one in my garage.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Vlad, an 'NNO' is the same thing as an Enzo; just my own, creative twist on the spelling... 2xN=Ns (or nz/enz) + o = Enzo/NNO... :)

8. Furby

Furby Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Rome, Italy
    Yet I believe that all the journalists that spun the CGT left the traction control off.
    Let's put it like this: On the road, traction control should be left ON. On the track, it would be advisable to leave the traction control ON till the driver is sufficiently experienced to drive the CGT without any driver aid.

The CGT is drivable, you just need to leave the traction control on.

Anyways, I believe that the CGT is so easy to spin because it has so much downforce.

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What flaw is ferrari hiding in the Enzo? Is the car as good in the hands of a owner as it is in the hands of the worlds greatest F1 superstar?

Ferrari is fearless as-long-as its their test track and no other brands are around. LOL

Someone at Ferrari is afraid of losing by some flluke. Makes them look bad to be so paranoid they won't even show up?