Drogo cars 2819, 2053, 2735 and 2445 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Drogo cars 2819, 2053, 2735 and 2445

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tomgt, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
  2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    From classicdriver:

"Star of their show was unquestionably the so-called Ferrari ‘Breadvan’, a 250GT SWB modified in period for the young racing team owner Count Volpi which seemed almost no higher off the ground than a Ford GT40. Alas, the price was also too low and it did not reach its $3.5m bottom estimate, perhaps hindered by a non-original engine and a market limited to collectors under 5’5"...I’m told we might see it going to a new home within the next month though."

So the car has a non-original engine? So if 'matched' it will worth be a lot more.

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It states that it has a non original engine in the auction catalogue description. Numero interno 942/62E

"Of significance, the original engine is no longer installed nor accompanying the car; having spoken with Mr. Martin Johnson, it was certainly still in the car when it left the UK thus it either went amiss before or while in restoration"

4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    So there is someone outhere with an engine worth a lot or money...........

5. Cairos

Cairos Rookie

Mar 7, 2006
    Does this mean, that 1965GT is a complete replica?

6. jikmik

jikmik Karting

Nov 14, 2008
    Denmark , Naestved
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    #56 jikmik, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone know where this picture is from? from witch race? it is the chassis number 2053GT and is with #9 and should be from 1963
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    This photo was taken at Spa 1963, but before the 500 km race in May that year.

8. hhh

hhh Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    2445 is the Francochamps car that got damaged in a crash at Le Mans.
    For many years it carried the number of 1965 for customs reasons (....), however the car has always been 2445 but had the nose and tail rebuilt by Drogo after the Le Mans crash.
    The complete center section is std Hot Rod SWB.

The current 1965 has not a lot to do with 1965 I think; in fact I believe there is alsoa black replica trying to pose as 1965 in France.

9. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    Hi everybody,
    please forgive me if this is not the right place for this post, it sure looks like.
    I've been reading this forum for ages and to me is one of the most knowledgeable on the net, and nice people too!

I've been writing posts on my blog for some time now and I would really like some confrontation on my last post. I've been trying to trace the history of 2053GT an especially I've been trying to find reliable sources about what E.F. decided to do with the remains of the crash at Spa in '64.

I hope is not bad taste of me to post here a link to my blog (no advertisement in there) but I would sure appreciate the input of some of you guys for suggestions or corrections. I would really like to wrap up the final story about this fascinating car.

I would obviously quote the author of the suggestions of corrections.

here's the link:
    http://classic-cars-talks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ferrari-chassis-2053gt.html

Thanks for you incredible passion and knowledge.

Keep up the amazing work.

davide

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Marc Sonnery, the Ferrari historian and author may be able to help you. He is a contributor on this site and uses the name Nembo1777.

11. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    I know his work very well!
    Thanks for the tip!

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Davide, after reading your blog in the link above regarding 0523GT and 2053GT I wondered what you think of John Starkey's article below?

http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/articles/articles_07.html

13. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    Yes, I did read it and crossed some other sources with it. It's a very inspiring article and I sure hope to reach that standard one day.

I couldn't find exact info on which rely thou, so I decided to mention also other theories.

14. Maseratista

Maseratista Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    Car is restored and it is in italy.

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Do you know who did the coachwork?

miurasv likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Recent photos, info?

Thanks in advance.

miurasv likes this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Speaking of cars listed in this thread title does anyone have the Christie's Monterey jet center 2005 auction text for the Breadvan -bodied by Neri & Bonacini, NOT Drogo-?
    I have never read it and it seems not to be accessible online any more. Many thanks in advance to anyone able to scan and post it here, hopefully it will prove less elusive than some other...answers on other cars discussed here:D

18. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    I remember 2053 being with Paul Baber in December 1999, categorised as a "Drogo resurrection"