NSX daily driver..... | FerrariChat

NSX daily driver.....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by luke9583, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Am I dreaming?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    nope, not at all. I know of several (not many, only several) daily driven NSX's. they don't have high milage overall, and one of them, well.. the driver, even in his ~5 years of ownership is frightened to take it into VTEC for fear of his lack in skills will cause him an expensive repair bill.

3. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    where would be a good place to look?

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  5. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    luke9583,

I have owned 3 NSXs over the last 10 years. They are great cars, IMHO. I firmly believe that 100,000 miles on a NSX is nothing - they are Hondas and as such can go forever. The only thing that I would worry about as far as a daily driver is bad weather. I don't think you would want to drive it in the snow/ice...but then I never really did it myself so I can't say for sure. The other thing is that they can be very low in the front (my last one had sport suspension which lowered it another inch or two) which leads to a lot of scraping and difficulties going down/up steep inclines. I had to take the rubber lip in the front off my last one just to get it in and out of the driveway.

If you have a back up for the really bad weather, I would say "Go for it!!!"

6. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I had a nsx and used it as my daily. Great car, incredibly reliable!

7. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I gots one now :) but it only comes out in nice weather. It is reliable enough to drive daily...if you don't mind riding low all the time and are not scared to park between two child-filled Excursions at the mall. People in warmer climates can get away with making it their daily driver but I think it is very much like a Ferrari: if you drive it every day, it's no longer special. I know when I get my 333SP I probably won't drive it every day :D:D:D

8. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    awesome... I've never heard a bad thing about them... Can you guys post some pics. :)

9. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    I own one since 6 years and never had a single problem with it but it's not my daily driver, my average is 6K miles per year !

However, I have several friends with more than 100K miles on their NSX and even one with 200K miles and a lot of them on tracks for the European NSX Trophy .

For a picture check my profile ! ;)

Regards,

David

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    There's a guy up the street from me with a black NSX and he leaves it parked on the street, all year round. Obviously, it looks like crap now. Perhaps I should stage a "rescue" of this neglected child.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I had one for a while. Very fun cars IMO. I used it as my daily when I had it. And nope it was always special in its own way. If I didnt drive it, it would just sit since teh 328 would get the nice weather days. Here is a pic: http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/18/224601.jpg

I sold it and got a rover. I miss her still. :(

12. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If you do buy one, be wary of early year NSX's. They had "snap ring failure" problems. Most of those cars should have been fixed by now but it's best to go with a 94 or later. Also, the NSX EATS rubber tires for lunch and dinner!! I heard they changed the suspension slightly to help, but tires will still go fast. Also, since the body is aluminum, find a good shop that can work on it as not everyone can work with aluminum.

About 4 years ago, I test drove and nearly bought an older NSX but the deal fell through at the last minute. Recently, I got myself an Acura RSX, as a daily commuter. It's almost as good, as it uses VTEC and sounds great running it up through the gears!! I'd still go for the NSX any time...

13. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    I'm considering lookin' at rsx's too. Haven't driven one yet.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Big difference between an Rsx and Nsx. Ive had 2 Nsx's and they are great fun and reliable cars. Some items are rather expensive for a Honda, such as a 2K clutch change.

15. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    I do my own work, so inflated labor rates wouldn't really scare me off. The only thing i'm mildly concerned about are the snap ring range cars in 91 and 92, where as being a student will require me to purchase are car in those years. Sounds like a $700 fix tho.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Easy enough to avoid. First off by now, most cars have been fixed. You can get the vin #s of the cars affected off of Nsxprime, and find one that has been fixed already, or know which ones to avoid.

Also both my cars where early models, one a 91, one a 92.

17. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Luke here are pics of mine...I think it depends on the tire eating issue, my car is as low is at can get with negative camber and I got about 11k miles on them, I do swap them from side to side every 6-8 months or so.

My uncle has one and daily drives it 30 miles each way in traffic, and no problems, I clocked over 10k miles on mine last year just driving mostly weekends, and club events.

I would agree not the best car for bad weather, plus can be a hassle parking since it will stand out most of the time..

18. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    The advice about this car was great too on this site, go to nsxprime if you are really interested or just send me a PM or something. They do need a bit more power but the high revving and beating I give it every time its driven make up for it..

19. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Great car , stiffen up the front end though. My last one I put over 80,000 miles on it. Never burned oil, never left me stranded, never left a puddle in my garage. Now if only ... oh never mind. Buy it drive the hell out of it. No worries, mate.

20. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Ayrton Senna: "There, it's perfect."

WFO Racer: "Stiffen up the front end."

Hmmmn:D

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    castex,
    Depending on which you get the springs are different. If I recall, they softened them up on the NSX-NA2s, only to stiffen them again on the NSX-Zs.

22. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I drive mine every day (as it is my only car). It has been wonderful. 80K miles and running strong as ever. I bought a 93 and skipped the snap ring issues. I have never heard of ANY nsx owner who is afraid to take their car into VTEC. The was made to operate in HIGH RPM. That is where it makes all the power - just like a 355.

You will find lots of great info and people on nsxprime. Good Luck!