Opinions on the new Acura TL? | FerrariChat

Opinions on the new Acura TL?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by KennyH, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Does anyone have any experience with this car? I absolutely love it- seems to be a helluva car for the $...

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The only experience i have with them is from looking at one at the dealer. They are nice with 270hp, but because of gearing my older tl type-s is said to feel faster. They did a real nice job with the interior. The sound system is probably the best in any car, and with bluetooth, you dont have to worry about getting a ticket in NY for talking on your cell phone while driving (if you have a bluetooth compatible phone, which at this point in time, theres no point in getting one thats not if you need a newphone). My only gripe is with the exterior. It looks too much like the TSX and accord. they should have left it alone. you may want to wait for the A-Spec version to come out, wihch has more power and is sportier.

3. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Beware of any Honda product with an automatic transmission. They self-destruct at 30-35k miles like clockwork. I've had two transmissions replaced in my Odyssey and one in my 2002 TL-S.

4. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    They look cool but I would do so internet reserch. The older ones had some problems, which suprises me because they are a luxury honda.

5. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I would wait until the new Type-S comes out. They are debuting the concept S model in LA.

Here is a pic
    http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000214337.cfm

6. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
  7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They fixed this problem. The problem was a bearing that couldnt handle the power of pretty much any car the tranny was put in. They say the one in my 2003 type-s is updated and wont break, but i still have the 7 yr 100k mile powertain warranty that they gave to everoyne with these trannys.

Acura said they would NOT make a type-s version of the new TL, since they feel its sporty enough. There may be an A-Spec version in the future though.

8. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I went and checked one out at my dealer. To me the ride seemed choppy, and the automatic transmission felt "sluggish" at higher freeway speeds (I know magazine test numbers prove it's not sluggish) The six speed felt nicer, but the shifter was kind of notchy. And I didn't think the interior felt up to par for a $34k car. It felt like I was driving a $34k Accord. The technology in it was VERY cool, and that new stereo was the best I've heard in a car this side of a Mark Levinson stereo in a Lexus. Honestly though, I prefered driving my 94 Legend over spending $34k on it. I'm still leary about the "fixed" transmissions on the TL's. If you check out acura-tl.com, there are still reports about the replaced transmissions failing. Funny thing was, when I asked if they had updated the transmission for the new car, they looked puzzled like they couldn't figure out why I was asking that question. It's too bad because the previous generation TL was such a nice car and such a nice value - but I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole because of the transmission issue alone.

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    My 2002 TL is for sale right now. The tranny was replaced last month at 24k! Good value but no headroom for taller folks, that an the brakes have no feel to them. Oh wait i want to sell this thing in my driveway, ummm its great really....

10. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    my '03 TLS doesnt feel sluggish at freeway speeds. Its only problem is that it wont drop into 2nd at speeds over like 55, so you must do it manually if you want to go into 2nd at any speed that will put the engine at anything over 6000rpms. Since it makes its power up high and redlines at over 7000 i wonder why this is. I felt the interior was nice, nicer than the BMW 540i sport i test drove last spring. I guess i just think bmw needs to update the old looking cluster and climate control. What can i say? im excited by shiny and bright lights, especially if they blink.

11. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I really like the look and interior of the new TL. It really has good legroom in the back and I like the new dials. I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission as it is covered by warranty. I would sugest getting the manual anyway :). It has good power.

The only drawback to this car is that it is FWD. Otherwise it is a great car and will compete nicely with the G35 which is also a good car.