Where is a good place to buy used acura engines? | FerrariChat

Where is a good place to buy used acura engines?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ekasilicon, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    The engine in my wifes car is dead. It is a 1994 Acura Intregra. Does anybody know of any good places to buy used/rebuilt engines? Thanks

2. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Maybe Ebay. Go look on www.team-integra.net Some of the people there can point you in the right direction. I'm about to sell my Integra before the same thing happens. How many miles did the engine have on it just out of curiousity?

3. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    It had 154,000 miles. I have found a few places that sell them, but they are really expensive. Luckily I will be saving money on the labor, since I will do it myself.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  5. true

true Guest

As long as the block wasn't physically damaged, any reason why you aren't rebuilding the engine instead of purchasing a new/used/rebuilt? The engine could be rebuilt quicker then it would take to freight a new engine.

My 95 Integra has 280,000 miles on it right now with one rebuild (me) because the previous owner drove it with no oil.

Nick

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    From what I understand, the LS blocks are becoming harder to find. If you can, try to save it.

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Is there a common problem on the LS blocks that is causing them to fail?

8. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Is it an LS, or a B18C1? If it's the former, than it's considered a paperweight to me and all of my friends, and I can get you a long block for ~ $250 + shipping. Or, if you want it rebuilt, then I can get you all new factory parts for invoice. PM me your contact info, and I'll help you out . If it's a b18c1 (GSR) then it's going to cost ~ 1500 for a long block. hubert

9. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    No.

10. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Oh ok. I know Acura has some serious issues with their last gen TL and the transmission. Just curious if something else weird was cropping up too since I've been thinking about a used Integra as a daily commuter car.

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    TL engines are different. the b series engines were derived off the ZC series of engines, and have been developed since the late 80's. Most people kill these engines by starving them of oil, or never doing any routine maintenance b/c "it's a Honda." If cared for, it should last 200k, easy.

12. BRaskin

BRaskin Rookie

Nov 13, 2003

Didn't know there was this many honda heads on here. Deff go with Honda-tech they will help you. Or just rebuild it will be cheaper.

13. true

true Guest

A picure of my Honda....
    [​IMG]

Its not slow. :)

14. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    I am leaning more to rebuilding it than buying a used engine. Thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming. I guess I know what I am doing this Christmas break now.

In terms of what is wrong with the engine, I am completely lost. The mechanic told me that there was no compresion in any of the cylinders. He was baffled by it as well. He told me that all the valves were fine, so as far as I know that only leaves the head gasket. It would be hard for me to believe that the head gasket is blown around all four cylinders, but I guess it is possible. I am really anxious to take the engine apart and find out what is wrong with it.

If it may help someone tell me what is wrong with the engine, here is what happened. I was driving down the road going about 35 in 4th gear, when I heard a grinding noise and the battery light was on. I thought it was the tranny making the grinding noise, so I shifted into nuetral. It obviously was not the tranny. And for the battery light, I thought that maybe it was an alternator problem. Then I realzied that the engine had stalled and that was why the battery light was on. I pushed the car to the side of the road and tried to start it to no avail. I then called AAA and had them tow it to a mechanic to get diagnosed. I know there was plenty of oil in the engine, I check it regularly. There were no leaks of any kind anywhere either. Anybody?

Thanks again.

15. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It's my understanding that there is a MASSIVE problem with Integras being stolen, chopped up at "Midnight Auto Parts", and their engines put into Civics by ricers, which is why there is such a supply problem with used Integra engines.

When I was working for Acura, we had several of our Integra loaners stolen and chopped.

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Matthew, its not that I doubt your mechanical ability,
    but if you are unable to diagnose what is wrong with the motor,
    do you have the confidence to rebuild it yourself?

17. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    No, I don't have the confidence to rebuild the motor by myself. I helped my dad rebuild a Jag motor a few years ago, but by no means am I completely confident. My dad will help me throughout the whole process.

In terms of not being able to diagnose the problem, all the steps have not been taken to diagnose it yet. From what I know, it is not the valves. I may have to take the head off to see if it is the head gasket. I will have to dig even deeper than that in the engine to find out what it wrong.

18. JamesH

JamesH Formula Junior

May 11, 2001
    San Carlos, Californ
    Full Name:
    James Hom
    Does these motors have timing belts? Maybe the timing chain slipped and the valves are not opening and closing when they are suppose to. Cant believe its a head gasket unless all your headbolts came loose and your head pop loose. Not likely nor possible.

19. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003

I agree that it is very unlikey that it is the head gasket. These engines have timing belts, I also thought about it being the chain, until I did some research and found out it has a belt.