Afternoon with a 312P | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Afternoon with a 312P

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BillGammon, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Bill:

GReat of you to share pictures. I feel for you in that some bone-heads were rude and made unecessary remarks, however I think you misinterpreted comments pepole made about the validity of the car - those were directed more towards discovering what exactly this car is, not that you were trying to show us a fake, etc.

Personally I enjoy watching the experts' dialogue dissecting cars and referring to races and other moments in history in an effort to find the true identity of a vehicle. The chase is far more exciting than the prize, it seems.

--Dan

2. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    I agree. Maybe I was a bit harsh. Nothing said in the thread really bothered me, hell, all I knew about that car is what I was told. Virtual handshake ok.

Do a search for my 275 messages from a year ago and see how I was drawn and quartered for innocent questions. Sadly, I was told I came in on the end of some fraud guy and everyone thought I was somehow connected with him.

If it is any consolation, I already got an email today from a friend with a WRX and all of the pics in directories have already shown up on at least one other forum. At least someone liked them enough to share with others (as long as they don't claim them as their own) :)

3. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    absolute agreement.

I just hope someone comes in and tells more about that car.

What are the details of the change from coupe to sypder?

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill
    The questioning isn't directed at you.
    "Real means different things to different people.
    0878/80
    Those are the ones that mean real to me.
    How about you Old Guy?"

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I think if I was Bill I'd be a little exasperated too. If someone PM'd me and called me a liar or a thief, that would piss me off.

To whoever sent that message, when did you become the all knowing Ferrari historian and keeper of photography?

Bill, thanks for sharing. I have no idea what the car is, but I like looking at the old V-12's.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bill, I know that this is off topic, but I love the 904 on your web page. When you get a chance, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this car, perhaps in the OT section.

When I was a kid growing up in Pensacola, a 904 was the first real exotic car that I ever saw (MGs and TRs don't count). Some guy had one that he parked in the yard, no lie.

I have heard, though, that 904s are tough cars to keep going. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Dale

ps Don't let the flaming get to you. This Jekyll and Hyde stuff is just part of the Internet. Don't know why. It just is.

7. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    I sometimes forget my webpage is so easy to find. I really should update it.

I'll keep it brief since I didn't start a new thread in the off topic area. Don't want to annoy anyone with kraut talk. :)

The 904 I have pictured is not mine. It belongs to a close family friend and I have known the car well for my entire life. I took those pics on my webpage for another friend who purportedly had his red 914 going into a car magazine and he wanted some "special" pics to send along.

What you have heard about the 904 is correct. The cars came equipped with a very complex 4-cam 4-cylinder racing engine. It has always been rumored that only two or three persons within Porsche ever completely learned to assemble and tune those engines and those people have long since assumed room temperature.

Probably 90% of all 904 are owned by people that wipe them with diapers, never drive them and have left them completely original. Then, there are the good people that actually drive and vintage race a few of them and then there are the couple of heretics that removed that infernal engine and replaced it with a 6-cylinder Porsche engine and continued for years having fun with the car.

The factory experimented with placing a 6 in the 904 and even have a 904 flat-8 that they take out to special events.

The car that is on my webpage was long ago profiled on the last page of Autoweek (back when Autoweek was big and left ink on your hands when you read it). The owner is one of those heretics and removed the 4 cylinder, applied a highly tuned 6 and the car has covered approximately 250k miles as a daily driver.

The car in its current configuration is more reliable than a brand new 911, is a hell of a lot more fun to drive and would show its exhaust encrusted rear to nearly anything on the road (low weight is magical)

Excellent car even if it wasn't made in Italy :)

I apologize for the long winded response that is not Fcar related.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks so much. I have lusted over this car ever since I saw one in Jr High (of course that was back when we had junior high schools, but I digress). Your feedback, though, may keep me from doing something really stupid some day further up the road, like buying one of these cars.

DrTax