Worst Depreciation | FerrariChat

Worst Depreciation

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, May 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Does anyone know, in general, what car line suffers the worse depreciation at say 3 years and 5 years? Conversely, what car line has the least depreciation at these intervals?

It's something that seems to be a little hard to come by in the states. I noticed in an English car magazine ("Car" maybe?) that they had a huge section that listed all the cars sold in England with stats including depreciation.

The Audi thread got me thinking of this. I have a friend that has a beautiful A8 that is a joy to ride in but I suspect it will drop like a rock on resale.

I'm in need of a daily ride, and I'd been thinking of a newer "last" generation 540i, maybe a 2001 or 2002, I don't know what has happened to their value and what is expected in the next 3 years on that vintage car. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Jag and Land Rover depreciate the most.
    BMW and Benz are quite good. They seem to take a "big" hit when they roll off the showroom, but then hold a good value (at least until the styling becomes obsolete). The 5 holds its value, not quite sure it will drop dramatically with the new 5 ...its styling is quite controversial. Perhaps an 00 or 01 E55 could do the trick too.
    American cars depreciate a lot. Bargain if you buy used. I'll get a 300C Hemi in a year or so. :D
    Japanese depreciate unevenly. Trendy cars (Civic, rsx, Acuras, Infiniti .. etc etc) keep high prices while crappy cars do depreciate ... but do have lots of miles very quickly.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i've been told that rolls royce's can depreciation one third once driven off the lot. wouldn't want to use one as a daily driver either, maintenance-speaking.

doody.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    What about Maserati ? ouch.

I remember the Bi-Turbos when I was in college. At the dealer
    they lifted the hood for me, on a brand new car. I was amazed at the
    rust spots under the hood. I am glad I never got near that car.

Yes Maserati is a completly different marque today. (The good and bad).

5. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    Have to agree with the Maserati comment. I had my car about 6 moths and I bet I would be lucky to get 25 grand less than I paid for it.
    Who cars My wife and I love the damn thing.
    I kind of hope tha VW does buy Maser Maybe in 20 years the car will appreciate a little and be remembered as the gloyy years when Maserati was part of the Ferrari family.
    Then again maybe I am dreaming

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    FWIW, I know of a year-old (5800 mi if I remember right), perfect, GT2 that traded hands recently for about $135k. Original sticker was around $190k. Turbo P-cars seem to get hit pretty hard.

Gary

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    by far the biggest hit is SAAB you can buy a 1 year old for less than half sticker in some areas.

Right now because they flooded the market Mitsu is having big issues but the darling in depreciation has got to be honda and Toyota and their lux brands Lex and Acura Damn things hardly move off sticker when used.

But hey it is a car witch by nature is a "Depreciating Asset" If it is the right car and you enjoy it don't worry about 3 -5 years down the line, who knows there could be a sudden demand for A8's and you would be kicking yourself or the 60 min / consumer reports could do some shoddy report saying the aluminum in the A8 Causes cancer in lab rats... (think it is a long shot... remember "Sudden Acceleration Syndrome.... )

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The marketing bean counters screwed the GT-2, with the introduction of the
    X-50. All of the sudden one did not understand why P-cars, would charge
    approx 50K more for 10/12bhp more. There is obviously more to the GT-2 than 2wD and approx 10/12bhp. They over produced the 996 TT. There are so many cars available forsale. Just stay
    away from the 01 SY Tips.

Superb car though.

9. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    How about a Daewoo purchased in 2002?

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    www.edmunds.com has the lists of the 10 best and 10 worst depreciating cars. I think the worst are typically Kias, Daewoos, Hyundais and Buicks. I don't know if this includes catastrophic depreciators like Bentley and RR.

11. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Audi's drop pretty significantly as well. You can pick A8's up for nothing.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Save for the SPG (thru '91), SAAB is the rock that keeps on droppin'. Pity, really, for those who pick them up new.

13. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Don't believe everything you are told! Try and pick up a used Phantom, you are lucky to get 15k off at this point! And that is off a 330k car.

14. jhl1963

jhl1963 Karting

Jan 1, 2004

15. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
  16. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Lotus Esprits.OUCH!!I was on the losing end of that twice,but now Im going to get a 2000 with 2500 miles for 43k.

17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I have seen used 2002 S-type for less than a used 2002 X-Type 3.0. The S-Type and XJ get hit so hard. The new XJ is a much better car now. With its aluminum body it might not depreciate as much. The A8L is a much improved car too. You can get a great deal on a used 2001-2002 XJR. S-type R are even reasonable too

18. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    English cars seem to take it up the wazoooooo!!

19. Redline Drift

Redline Drift Rookie

Dec 10, 2003
    In last week's top gear they said the Alfa depreciated big time.

20. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Hyundai, Daewoo, and Kia. Period. An owner of any one of these cars that comes in to trade one at our dealership, regardless of the condition or age of the car, is typically $10-15k out of equity. Now factor in how much they cost new. Yeesh!

21. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Oh man, I guess I'll have to cross them off my short list... :)

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    LOL. Yeah, I'd stick to the 330 GTC if I was you. :)

23. V-10 Nut

V-10 Nut Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We used to joke that Lotus' were faster from $60 to zero than from zero to 60. ha

Best
    Steve

24. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I'm looking into buying one as well......I'd love to know where you are getting it as it sounds exactly like what I want. I want a 2000 or newer........I'm up in NC but ATL is the closest lotus dealer.

pm/email me

Thanks
    Jeremy