400i Automatic | FerrariChat

400i Automatic

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SkizoACE, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I havent heard much about this model. Any info would be great.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Cons:

Can be very expensive to maintain if you don't get a sorted example. No body wants them (hard to justify the maintenance costs with the purchase price). Seen as a boring, old duffer's car.

Pros:

Everyone that believes that crap has never driven or owned one. They are fabulous cars. Much better built than Scaglietti bodied cars (these were made at Pininfarina). They aren't that complicated to work on if they haven't been stuffed up to begin with (but be careful, there are 2 of everything on it). Very predictable handling (its not a sports car, but is a great GT car). People heavily discount the automatic, but these are the same people that drive BMW's and MB's with automatics, so the arguement doesn't hold water.

As long as you look at it as a GT car (ala BMW 850i type), they are great cars and should be driven to be appreciated. Wonderful V12 experience at a reasonable entrance price. Most serious collectors have an example of the type in their collections.

I've never had issues working on my car or getting parts for it (mine is 5 years older than the injected version). Budget $1500 or so per year driving 5-6k miles and you'll be fine if you start with one that has been sorted. There are a lot of dogs out there, so be careful.

Try it, you may like it.

3. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yeah, I found one for $20,000 with 40,000 miles and I was like dang! I just didnt know anything about them. Thanks man.

Anyone else?

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    This isn't at the top of my list, but it is in consideration for a first Ferrari down the road. Are there legal emission/safety issues with this car? If I remember correctly 400's weren't for sale in NA for these reasons...

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've owned an 83 400i 5 speed for 5 1/2 years and love it. Everything that Erik says and more. Lots of torque, great sound, two of everything, marginal electrics but rock solid running gear. The only pain in the butt aspect is the self-leveling rear suspension: the shocks are no longer available and, to my knowledge, there is only one place to get them rebuilt, and they are expensive. Mine are still okay (knock on wood) but problems seem to occur more frequently in cars that don't get driven very much. Other than that, they are fairly simple cars, easily worked on by the home mechanic for most routine maintenance items.

The Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection (yes, there are 2 systems, one for each bank of the V12) is the same basic system found on thousands of early-mid 80's BMWs and Mercedes. My friend who owns a gas station in town can tune the FI for emissions easily. They are not cheap cars to buy parts for and many cars on the market might have some deferred maintenance issues. The price differential between a well-maintained car and one with problems is usually smaller than the cost of fixing the problems.

The car has fantastic visibility, with no blind spots, so driving in traffic is very easy. Reasonable room in the back for smaller kids but too small for more than very short rides with adults in the back. It's no autocross car but it handles very well. It is very neutral in handling with a slight bit of oversteer at the limit. The only drawback is a large turning circle, 40 feet, which makes maneuvering in tight spaces a bit tough sometimes.

A thorough PPI by a knowledgeable Ferrari tech is essential. Like Erik said, try it, you may like it!

John

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    As with any grey market car, make sure that you have EPA/DOT paperwork in hand. Pass on any car that doesn't have it. Most are legal and the paperwork has been misplaced, but there are some cars that were brought into the USA during the late 80's when the market was red hot that didn't have any work done. Seach the archives for more info on grey market cars.

As John noted, you can get them to pass emissions if you take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Ferrari never produced a USA version of any V-12 from the early 70's to the mid 80's because they were still working out emission requirements (it was a period of a lot of uncertainty, esp. for a small manufacturer). The EPA paperwork shows that the car passed the current requirements at the time it was Federalized, and as long as the job was done correctly and everything is still there, it should pass now. The 365 GT4's and 400's are 25 years old or older now and may not have to meet any pollution requirements depending on you location.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've had mine since 1997. It took a while, but I am comfortable power sliding it now. The oversteer is easily controlled. The wife doesn't like it when I do it with her in the car...

8. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    And....we have tons of new old stock for the 400/400i/412 here in the World's Warehouse !

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  10. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi.

I've already asked one of our parts guys to go thru it. Should be a posting soon !

Cheers.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Thanks Jeff. You guys do good work. Cheers.

12. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Even if the owner "lost" the EPA/DOT papers, you can verify that the car has them by going directly to the DOT and the EPA. One agency (I forget which) will give you a fax copy for free, the other charges something nominal, like $5.00.

John

13. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks guys. Im looking for a car I can love for a while.

Which would be better, a 308 or a 400i?

14. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Depends on what you are looking for. Both will love you long time.

John

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Two totally different cars. Drive both, see what you like.