996 vs nsx for everyday driver | FerrariChat

996 vs nsx for everyday driver

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scycle2020, May 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    sorry guys but another vs. question, only because i learn so much about the cars from the people on this web site... this is an incredible source of info....what would you get for an everyday driver, 20 k miles a year with highways miles also...01 996 for around 50k or a late 90s nsx foro roughly the same price?

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think it depends on what your everday use entails. If you need to carry some stuff, the NSX doesn't have much space. I know the 996 isn't better either, but its better than the NSX.

In my humble opinion, for myself as a daily driver I would get the NSX. Reasons being, the maintenance is not bad at all, it is very reliable, and can be driven in rain, snow, and sun with no problems. It will drive like a reliable accord, will start everyday, and not give you trouble. When you want to get crazy, it has the handling and the sound that will be a good addition to your daily driver. Also the later model NSX's have the T option where you can take the roof off, so in essence you can do some open air motoring as well. With a 3.2 Liter motor, about 290hp, 6 speed tranny, it will get good gas mileage and should be hassle free transportation. There are a few 250K+ Nsx's running around, and a 500K miles NSX in Canada. They are solidly built cars. Downside is the aluminum body, so if you get in fender benders, repair bill will be high. ANother down side is the rapid deteoriation of tires. Though the later model NSX's are better than the 90-91 NSx's as far as tire goes, its still something you have to consider given 20K miles per year.

The 996 is a great car, but depreceation is terrible on those. 91/92 NSX's are holding steady at 30-32K for the last few years, so imo it is a safer bet. Also in my neck of the woods 996s are dime a dozen. Feels like every waiter/waitress in Los Angeles has a 996, so the NSx stands out a bit.

Also the sound of the Nsx at 8500rpm in second gear > 996 in my opinion.

But if you talk about the 996TT, then I would get that over the NSX.

:)

Good luck with your search, I would love to have the same decision to make. :)

Check out www.nsxprime.com for some great info, and rennlist or 6speedonline for good 996 info. :)

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    depends which pcar. turbo > nsx na2 > std 996 > na1 NSX

What do you want out of the car?

PS the NSX sounds better. Feels better, I can go on and go on... :)

4. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I'd take the 996.

5. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    996 will ride better, better ground clearance, have better power (vs early model nsx), service will cost much more, personally I like the interior of the 996 much better than the NSX (totally subjective), more interior room.

NSX has super cars looks, cheap maitenance, great mid-engine handling, possible targa top, sounds better in car than the 996, but not outside.

All in all I call it a wash......my biggest 2 issues are the ground clearance vs maitenance costs. Pick which ever one of those is more of an issue.

Jeremy

PS I owned an 01 996 for a year and a half. I had a 97 m3 and 996 for daily drivers. I switched between the two often. I'm looking for something more exotic now.(more of a weekend toy)

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Actually a 97+ NSX will beat just about any non turbo strd 996.

0-60 4.7-4.8 range

also, the 97+ cars have 'softer' suspension then the older ones, but following a more 'lotus' design principle, and less of a stiff one. The car when pushed still lacks any body roll really.

Ground clearance was not to much of a problem since the plastic lip took the beating...and it was only a $150 dollar part to replace.

Also, after 97, targas were the norm, with almost no coupes made at all.

The slow NSXs people mostly talk about are the 95-96 targas with the smaller engine. Yes they were the slowest (manual) NSXs ever made at around 5.6-5.8 sec to 60.

The only thing is you do not get the porsche badge and the penis jokes :p

7. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    You are correct later NSX's are at least as fast if not faster than 996's.....like I said you'll have more power in the 996 vs earlier NSX's.

I test drove a 92 NSX when I had my 996 and it was very rough in comparison, but I don't have a reference to the later NSX. It did handle very good though.

You know the difference between a NSX and a Porcupine????

The NSX has the prick on the inside hahaha :p

Seriously I like both cars and would never knock them.

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    LoL I like that one, I have to remember it to tell some of my old NSX buddies.

Oh yea, one more thing with the NSX, I can give you my old links to where to get parts 15-25% off as well.

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    How does your 328 compare to the NSX? I know it is kinda apples and oranges, but I'm curious since I love the 328 GTS. It is a great price for a Ferrari, but is it worth it?

TIA
    Jeremy

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #10 Auraraptor, May 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    O where to to start:

Comfort: The seats are not as comfy. Not as much interior room. The Climate control is arachic in comparison. Radio? Can't really say I never really used it in my 328, but is ok, but the NSX is really good.

Performance: lol come on. NSX was wonderful, 328 is a slug in comparison. The brakes are years ahead, grip, etc. I drove my NSX in rain hail you name it. (save snow)

Any specifics you would like to know?

Note:
    Before you think I am being harsh on the Fcar. Remember this, I sold the NSX since in the summer the 328 was being driven more, and I could not use the NSX during the winter, and it is not the 'wow' Ferrari factor either, the 328 to me is just blissful to drive, I can not explain it, despite it all, the fcar is just more fun.

Here is an old pic when I had both:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Rereading my post I think the best way to describe it as if you ever drove a classic car. That is the feeling you get more so then any. Understand what I mean?

12. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    As much as I like the NSX, I would go for a P-car for a daily driver. I can't seem to leave anything stock, and the Porsches have such a huge aftermarket. The 996's don't do much for me though. I would have to be a 993. Possibly an early 90's turbo. The 996 seems a little bland in comparison. If the question is between the NSX and only the 996 model, then I'd have to say the NSX, but I'd still rather have the perfect 993 over both.

13. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Yeah I understand.....I mean it is the same way if you see a NSX and 328 side by side.......sure the NSX is faster in ever aspect........but I'll go look at the 328 everytime then I'll check out the NSX hahaha

Thanks for the info....great write up.

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #14 LAfun2, May 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As Omar explained, I think the NSX is the best bet for the starter of this thread.

The downside that I can see is there are lots of jealous people in this world, and the NSX is perceived to be more of a supercar than the standard 996. 996's are on every corner, and NSX's are more rare.

Thus if you are not careful, some hater might do this...something to account for, since it is your daily driver.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    It just amazes me that there are people in this world that get a kick out of doing that to ANY car much less a beautiful one. Sad, just sad....

16. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    same here! I just hope that is photoshopped and not real!

17. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is a photoshop job... no need to be sad :)

I would say a NSX would get a lot more attention than a 996.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yes it is a photoshop, but I put it there to remind you that the downside of getting cars that garner too much attention.

You can read about vandalism done on www.nsxprime.com. It truly is sad. Downside of exotic daily driver.

19. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    yes.. I had acid dumped on my car.. ruined the paint and lights in the rear. It was an expensive fix. I did not have a garage at the time, and the car was outside (under a canopy). It really pissed me off. I still have no idea who did it, but if i ever found out ......

20. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Since you already have a 360 spider for fun, I would go for an SL over either of the two you mentioned for an everyday driver. But if the new SL is a little more than you want to spend I would check out an M3 or better yet a used CL500 sport.

21. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I recall reading about that, and it still pains me to think about it.