250 GTE barn find, what is it worth? | FerrariChat

250 GTE barn find, what is it worth?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by tifosi12, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I got news (which means I don't have confirmation, but there is a good likelihood it is true), that I could buy the body and interior (no drivetrain, no engine, no tranny, no suspension, no chassis, no wheels) of a 250 GTE for $ 5,000.

Is that a steal or stupid?

I think I might have struck gold, but need to investigate further. What do you guys think? What would it cost to have some coach builder come up with the chassis for it? I'm thinking not replica, but just something that works, could even be an American drivetrain and engine.

Any comments are welcome.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Give Tom "The King of the Toasted Ponies" Shaughnessy a call. He will know what it is worth. Rumor is that he goes to Italy once a year and rides around in a horse drawn cart shouting out for Ferrari parts...

PM me if you need his number.

Dale

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Personally, I'd buy $5000 worth of books instead. Sounds like a black hole.

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm. Maybe I'm naive (most likely), but I'm thinking a complete one is worth 100k, so this one is missing some vital parts, but how expensive can they be? Especially if I don't want to recreate the original but end up with something driveable (e.g. kit car chassis, 400i engine and drivetrain). No I haven't been drinking.
    :)

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Run away.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    A complete one is not worth anything near $100,000. And vital parts are just that: VITAL.

For what it's worth, I'm sure that the chassis comes along with the body, otherwise all you'd be buying is assorted body panels. I understand that nothing mechanical is bolted to the chassis, but it's there.

This is really, really not viable.

Just my 2 cents,

Matt

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Also bear in mind, it is unlikely that what is left is in stellar condition.

For years there has been a 330 2+2 in #5 condition, missing only the engine and tranny, for sale for $10k - no takers.

Art S.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks all. Interesting to read all this. I'm trying to get some pictures of the car. If I do, I'll post them for further comments.

I still think it is intruiging.

9. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    At the Brooks Ferrari auction in Gstaad, Switzerland in december 2000, 250 GTE s/n 3363 was auctioned. It was a chassis with body, but no other parts. It was sold for 6,900 Swiss Francs, which is around $5,200.

Maybe you can ask the expert regarding barn finds, Tom Shaughnessy. See http://www.vintageferrariparts.com (in development?). He might be able to give you some good advice, not only about the price, but also about what you should do with it. Mention my name if you want. If you want his email address, just let me know ...

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Or you could just send him a PM.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now if you wanted a nice piece of yard art, maybe a fountain with a water feature, you are further along!!

Remove the glass, mount in reflecting pool, some fish swimming around......

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks.
    Just did that.

13. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Andreas, my first impression - without any of the really pricey bits - price is too high.. If you were like Tom and already had a warehouse full of all the parts maybe it would be fun to play with... but it's $5000 for a shell.. some shells would be worth tracking down all the bits for.. but not many. now as sculpure... sure - I watched a friend pay more than twice that for a sofa made from the back four feet of a 59 caddy.. to each her own..
    if you want a builder 250 Tom probably has a dozen better options.
    Chelle

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Not good money wise if you want to restore, but I think that the sucker factor will always find you a market at $5k, thus it's worth $5k.

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Sounds cool - I don't know. You could make a cool sculpture or something :D

Reminds me of this pic:

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Dear lord!

What is the story on that pic/place??

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Really, look at that wooden buck in there! Good pic!!!!

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    it's the back yard of someone's restoration shop - wish I remembered whose

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    If it helps, I remember I saved these pics of a GTB/C under restoration at the same time. If you can identify this shop, that's where it is.

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  21. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Is it Hietbrink in the Netherlands? (hietbrink.com)

Andreas, our love of these cars is irrational anyways, so the car is worth whatever it is worth to you.

Personally, if given the opportunity (if I had money, space, and time) I would go for it.

A friend of mine's passion is restoring old tractors. He spends more time and money on them than he can get back from their sale. It is all about passion.

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    No FRAME or SUSPENSION? Pass. It's just a pile of parts dangling at the end of giant fish hook waiting for a Ferrari dreaming sucker to bite at the bait. Some cars you just have to walk away from. (I walked away from a big block 1967 Corvette that had been sitting in a salvage yard for 15 years or so. No engine. The car had been hit in the front at about 40 or 50 mph. No amount of wishing or dreaming would ever bring it back.) Turn around, hold your head high, walk away!!!

23. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Indeed it is! Well done!

24. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Thanks for the info Wayne, as I didn't know that Tom was a member of FChat too ...

By the way, the picture of Hietbrink's "garden" was made by me. For a couple of more pictures, see:

http://community.webshots.com/album/34866285QanOnQ

For those who wants to restore the body of their GTO, SWB, 275 etcetera, Hietbrink really is THE expert. It's an art, just wonderfull ....

25. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    great pics - i love the 275 GTBC ! it seems to be one of the Speciale - what chassis number is it ?