Looking for a Ferrari 412 5 speed convertible | FerrariChat

Looking for a Ferrari 412 5 speed convertible

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by lambo2ferraris, Apr 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
    Hello Ferrari Chat,

I've lurked on the boards for a long time but never posted until now. I need a little help from the Ferrari family if possible?

If anyone happens to know of a nice Ferrari 412 5 speed for sale, I would seriously appreciate any & all leads to find this particular car.

I'm a private party buyer located in Los Angeles and willing to travel within the USA to PPI @ my expense, no nonsence, no stories, no loans needed, no drama... I'm a straight cash buyer; history and a clean car are really important- however, I will consider (cough...) an automatic. I'm willing to convert it to a 5 speed if neccesary, but it must be a clean Straman cut or of equal quality. I perfer the Grigio exterior w/2 tone coco brown dash & console w/light tan chairs & headliner interior with a black convertible top.

As a last resort, I'd consider a coupe as long as it's a 412 5 speed. I'm even open to buying 2 cars to blend together all the aspects I'd like in one clean package... a 5 speed convertible. I'm sure there's a nice girl out there that wouldn't mind driving the automatic, but it wouldn't be me.

Thanks in advance to those who might help in my search for this car. Again, the car is for me, I'm not a dealer or broker; just a guy looking for a nice comfortable touring car with a little trunk space behind the prancing horse.

By the way, a pal of mine was on my laptop a couple days ago looking through the old chat and left a post responding to someone who spotted my red "Quasi 288 GTO" (LOL) '78 downdraft 308 GTS Shark nose in Malibu. Must admit I chuckled when I read it; but the comments regarding Blackhorse Motors and Carl Steuer are very true. Carl is an exceptionally skilled old school mechanic as well as a super nice person. I know of no other Ferrari / Lambo shop where I can make a quick phone call and drop in 10 minutes later and have him actually take care of my cars. I recommend him to anyone looking for a great shop. His restorations go to Pebble Beach...

Best Regards, HLL3
    P.S. For anyone interested in rating me as a serious buyer or those who enjoy eBay, my user ID is HLL3, feedback is 100+ all 100% positive and there are also some outstanding pic's of my (and my friends) 'L' cars on the ME page. They're from a Lamborghini Club America event I helped organize in Santa Barbara.

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I know of a nice one and can give you details if you are interested, let me know.

3. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
    Much appreciated, this looks to be an early 400i A, (note dash) but I'm open to interesting projects. I've really been trying to keep with the 412, yet lets see what this one has going on. My name is Herman L. Lewis III and can be reached @ (323) 461-1569. Los Angeles, CA is where I'm at, I get the feeling that this car may be back east or in the midwest???

Best Regards, HLL3
    PS: I've seen this 400i A before on several websites.

4. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    If you go on ferrarina.com, and look at the dealers section, you can click on Ferrari of New England in MA. They have a dark colored one I think its an 86 for $45,000. Its an automatic and convertible.

5. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
  6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    The car i mentioned is a 400i it is a Straman conversion, it is chassis no 32023 it has done 30,000k, and is selling for 45,000, the owners name is Robert Backman and can be reached at [email protected]/nct.se. hope this helps.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think that you would want to attempt converting an auto to a 5 speed. Aside from the usual difficulties of the transmission and the addition of the clutch pedal in the footwell, the rear end gear ratio is different on the auto and the 5 speed.

For the 412, the rear axle ratio is 10/43 (or 4.30:1 in U.S. parlance) on the 5 speed and 12/39 (3.25:1) on the automatic.

The rear axle ratio on the 400i 5 speed also is 10/43, but the automatic is different at 12/41 (3.42:1).

From my observation, there appear to be more 400i convertible conversions than 412s.

Good luck in your search. The 400/400i/412 series is a terrific Ferrari in the grand touring tradition.

John

8. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
    Thanks for the info- I knew there was a ratio difference-
    But that is the reason why I'd consider buying two cars and swap everything from the flywheel back to the diff...

HLL3

9. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
    found it! going to PPI on Saturday-

HLL3