Ferrari 330 GTC project on Ebay | FerrariChat

Ferrari 330 GTC project on Ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by ArtS, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    This one will be interesting to watch. I bet it will go for $50K+.

Then the buyer can pour another $75 - $100K into a total rebuild..... and have a $90K car. It appears it will need rust repair and a total repaint. Also, possible engine rebuild, suspension, brakes, electrics, interior, rubber, tires, chrome........ Your basic total restoration.

At the current bid price of $21K, it appears to be a pretty good buy but that of coarse will not last.

Wouldnt it be fun to be able to track this cars history through the next several years and see what it actually ends up taking to bring it back?

Terry

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn Terry, Do you mean that I'm not going to win with my $16k bid? I was kinda counting on shipping it to you to give you something to do. :)

4. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    While this car maybe worth worth $45-$55K in its current state, it will clearly take at least another $100K (body, paint, chrome, interior, engine, transmission, suspension, exhaust, etc., etc.) to make this 330 GTC say a 97 or 98 point car. A few extremely well restored 330 GTC's have traded on the auction circuit in the $130K-$150K range. (Those examples may or may not have been nicer cars to start with, I do not know). The majority of the well above average cars on the market can be purchased in the $85K - $110K range so I doubt that this car makes economic sense in the current marketplace.

5. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    #5 Dave330gtc, Apr 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am coming to the end of a total restoration of one of these cars and I can vouch for the restoration figures being thrown around on this thread. The big plus in doing the work yourself rather than buying a car already done is that you know what you have. There are plenty of so called total restorations around that have had many short cuts done along the way. I don't anticipate being able to get all of my money out of my car in the near future but I hope to make up for that in the enjoyment and piece of mind in driving a car with no surprises or strange stories attached. I would caution anyone jumping into the restoration game though that it will take twice as long and probably cost three times as much as your first estimate. There is no turning back once you have the car apart. Also, anything that you don't restore will probably come back to haunt you later. I wish the winning bidder good luck on this project and I hope somebody does restore it for the love of the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Uh oh, Tom's in the hunt now. This must be the real deal!

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Dave,

You also indirectly illustrate why original, well documented cars fetch a premium. I'm certainly glad I got a well sorted, nicely original driver!

--Matt

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Right now... $50,100 for a TLC tow. Est. revamp = possible $75,000. Ouch on one hand, par for the course on the other hand.

One view of price - closer to "wholesale" than "street"
    #5 ----- #4 ----- #3 ----- #2 ----- #1
    19000 -- 33000 -- 59000 -- 77000 -- 95000

Gold Price Guide has this more accurate street price range, though
    330 GTC $85,000 - $125,000

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm looking for a 330 GTC, just not this one... :)

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Surprise: Bidding up to $55K.

Surprise: Not hit reserve!

Not surprise: Current high bidder has -1 feedbacks.

Question: How high could the reserve possibly be?

Question: Is this what the knowledgable refer to as a "Fright pig"?

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Warts and all

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is not surprising that the bidding has not hit the reserve. Many sellers set high reserves the first time they list a car. Remember, more cars sell off line than on line.

I noticed the Tom Shaughnessy was in at around $50k, But Tom is a parts guy and probably figured that he could get twice this in parts.

Hey, what happend to the Sheehan car?

13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

PM

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Curious, which bidder (user ID) was Tom?

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    The 330 registry is silent on this one, must have been off the radar screen for quite a while.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The 330 Registry is for 2+2's, not GTCs.

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    He means this 330 Register.

18. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    This dog is now at $56K! That just seems nuts to me. I have seen runners/drivers without rust but tired cosmetics for under $70K in the past 2 years at dealers. This car is a total restoration project. Its going to need everything. I understand the allure of doing a total restoration having done a number myself, but unless you just so wealthy as to not care.... the numbers on this one make no sense at all.

Then again.... perhaps someone is planning on parting it out. With the engine alone possibly being worth $25K, even if you do pay $60K for the car you MIGHT come out with a profit.

I guess for someone viewing the total restoration of an old Ferrari as just another expensive hobby this is no big deal. After all, if you lose $30K on paper over the coarse of a 2 year restoration but really have a good time doing it whats the loss? Lots of folks spend more on golf in 2 years. Also.... total restoration project Ferraris like this one are very few and far between. With most of these older models, there are few REALLY nice top level cars, few really bad project cars and lots of cars in the middle.

Good luck to whomever buys it, I hope they end up posting here!

Terry

19. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Thank you Wayne. That's the one I was referring to.

20. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yeah, you really wonder.

Is it a chump that has no idea of the real cost, or is it a parts man or the last possibility you bring up that never occurred to me, maybe someone wants a project, fully aware of the financial beating in store, but doing it anyway for the challange and satisfaction of building a really nice $120k car for $175K.

Maybe it is worth it if it is approached as a hobby and not from a financial view point...

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    From looking at the high bidder's feedback, I'd say it was a chump that had no intention of actually paying for it anyway.

22. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    S/N 9257:

Identified as 330 GTC. Destinazione Bonaldi, Italy. Assembly sequence no. 112, body no. C0120. (H. Raab's FSN Part I, 2nd ed.).

Offered Jun 1974 Grand Touring Cars, Phoenix, AZ. Silver-blue with black leather. Air & wire wheels. (AutoWeek 08 Jun 1974).

Offered May 1976 Thorobred Motorcars, Arlington, VA. Air & wire wheels. (WashPost 16 May 1976). Offered again Aug 1977. Silver-blue with black interior. (FML 13 Aug 1977). 27,000 miles. (FML 26 Aug 1977).

Offered Apr 1987 by Speedline Exotics, Albuquerque, NM. Light blue metallic with black leather. Air & p/w. 57,000 miles. (FML 1207).

Offered Apr 1995 in California by Howard at 707-545-4254. Mechanically crisp. 28,000 original miles. No rust. Air & p/w. Professionally maintained original example needing interior & exterior cosmetics. (HMNews Apr 1995).

23. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    What's with the change in the number of miles?

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks Gerald. You provide a tremendous service to all of us who share this addiction.

Take care, Dale

25. Gerald Roush

Gerald Roush Karting
    Honorary

Apr 2, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Gerald L. Roush
    That's a question a potential buyer needs to ask the seller!