Anyone have a Mitsu Eclipse??? | FerrariChat

Anyone have a Mitsu Eclipse???

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SRT Mike, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I was thinking of getting one for my girlfriend. The newest body style, but not brand new. Probably not the turbo model. I had an Eclipse in college... back then there was RS and GS. It looks like now RS and GS are essentially the same? Same engine and most options look the same.

So anyone got one? Is it a good car? Ride nice? Decent mileage? Lots of problems or few problems? Interior OK? Decent "pep"?

I'm sorta thinking 2001-2002 model with about 30k miles on it. I'm hoping it would be problem free for the most part over a couple of years and be moderately fun to drive and utilitarean (decent size trunk, back seat, etc, etc).

2. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I don't personally have one, but have driven numerous 1G ('90-'94) and 2G ('95-'99) models. I did drive a friend's 3G ('00-current) RS, but only very briefly and it was okay for what it is. It had a bit more interior room than either of the older models as well which I take note of all the time as I'm pretty tall at 6' 4". The current Eclipse, from what I understand, is just basically a Chrysler Sebring with a different body on it. You might wanna check out www.dsmtuners.com or www.dsmtalk.com for more info although those two boards tend to cater to the 1G & 2G crowds.

3. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    While I don't own one, I can offer that the V6 can take a lot of abuse. It used to be prone to head gasket problems and oil leaks though, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. The 3.0 is basically an evolution of the engine in the non-turbo 3000GT, which is an evolution of the single-cam engines in the Mitsubishi Galant/Chrysler Lebaron/Dodge Spirit, which were basically unchanged since their mid-eighties debut in Japan.

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Pretty much true, except the other way around (Chrysler is really Mistubishi). The Avenger/Stratus and the Sebring coupes are basically Eclipses, but the Sebring convertible is all Chrysler (including the engine).

5. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    The newer body styles (3g) dont come in turbo variants, and only in NA.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Isn't there an almost-recall-worthy defect with the starter motor (or something like that) on these things...? Or is it just the Galant...?

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You're right - now it appears that the GS-T is a V6 and the others are I4. Weird... when I had mine, GS was the uplevel, GS-T was GS Turbo, and GSX was GS AWD turbo. I wonder what the T means now? :)

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No Eclipse but I have a nasty 92 Mitsu 3000 GTVR4 w around 600 hp :) She blows away NASCAR trucks on the straights & wastes EVERYTHING in the rain

9. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

GS-T = Grand Sport Turbo
    GT-S= Grand Touring Sport

The T&S have swapped positions.

I believe the 3G Eclipses come in 5 models. RS which is the base model w/ a I4 and available 5spd. GS which is the same as the RS but with an "aero" package,larger wheels, options etc. GT is a V6 with avaliable 5spd larger wheels, more options etc, GT-S is a V6 available 5spd, but has more options and more powerful V6. Lastly, is the Spyder.