Toyota Supras - Opinions? | FerrariChat

Toyota Supras - Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ramone_johnny, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Rookie

Apr 19, 2004
    Hi guys from down under. My name's John, Im 31 and I live on the east coast of Australia. Just joined the forums. Makes for some interesting reading.

Just out of interest I thought I would post in here. Hopefully my post isnt removed because Im very curious as to what Ferrari owners think of japanese performance vehicles, in particular the twin turbo toyota supra. I currently own a tt supra and have done so for over 3 years. The car is fantastic and performs unbelieveably. Well, its not a ferrari by any standards but I could definitely say that I could park beside a ferrari and hold my dignity.

The car is a two door hatch, running a twin turbo setup. Makes around 208kw in stock form. Runs about mid 13's standard. These cars have a huge following here in australia and even more-so in the US. The engine is capable of massive hp.

For those who are not familiar with the supra, this is basically what my car looks like.

http://www.mkiv.com/mkiv_gallery/mkiv_gallery/stock/large/supraTT.jpg

Thanks guys,
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Take care,
    John

2. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    this post is indeed a very interesting reading.

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Well, this post is in the wrong section, no matter how you see it. It will not be removed but moved to "Off-Topic".

This is general Ferrari discussion, Off Topic you can post this and other car questions.

4. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Nice car aslong as its not yellow with Ferrari badges.

5. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Rookie

Apr 19, 2004
    okay I understand...Im new here. forgive me.

Any thoughts on these cars guys?

John

6. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    What do you want to hear?

I had a 1995 one for over 5 years from late 1997 to early 2003, had it delimited, and had nice detail touches with TRD parts. I think mine was running 320BHP.

Enjoyable car, reliable, etc etc, but to be honest it looks dated now. In terms of feel and speed, it was not really any slower to 60, and only slightly slower to 100 than my 355. I had them both at the same time (kept the supra because I didnt trust the 355 at the beginning, but after 10 months of owning the 355 I barely used the Supra so sold it). Steering was better than my 355 but otherwise it didnt feel as well planted and certainly couldnt corner any where near as fast. Had a mate drive the supra side by side with me, and just the noise of the 355 was enough, I couldnt have cared less if he zipped by me!! He didnt though, so all was okay;).

In terms of performance I know they can be made to go extremely fast, and I had many of my friends telling me I should just keep the Supra and improve it... I personally think I made money too quickly for some members of my crowd and they didnt like the fact that I owned a 355 at 24. Not knocking the Supra, but it no way, in any terms comes close to a 355, let alone a 360. At the time I bought it I could have had a cheapish 348, but preferred the Supra as I heard horror stories of the 348. Now, though, in terms of looks alone, I'd take a 348.

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    If you do a search, this topic has come up many times before and usually leads to a large number of supra board members joining and posting in defense of their beloved supras. The bottom line is that a supra is a great car for the money, but a ferrari is simply a great car. Supras can be made very very fast, but once turbo boost in any car gets much over 12 psi or so, the step in the torque curve at the boost threshold gets so big that it is not al that much fun to drive on the street, still fine at the track though. The handling can also be made quite good, but if I'm not mistaken they use a strut suspension that for weight and geometry reasons can never be made quite as good as the double a-arm suspension found on all the top tier cars. This really only matter at the limits though, on the street most people would probably never notice.

8. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had a '97 with 650+rwhp, fast as hell, it can take any stock Ferrari including Enzo. Stock is not slow, few G's get your BPU'ed, about 420rwhp, then you can go more for BPU+++, then aftermarket turbo gets your over 500+. Single turbo can get over 1000rwhp, all still street legal. Toyota reliability, low maintainess and etc.

9. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I hate it when somebody brings up a Toyota or Honda on this board, so what if they can run circles around some Ferrari's. I'm sure no Ferrair owner is going to be tempeted to trade theirs in, besides, that ricer will melt down if it runs hard for too long, a Ferrari will do it all day long, and eat that ricer for lunch!

10. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    tee hee. haven't seen any threads on that for ages... at least a week and a half. :D

good posts by ninja_eli and mk e, interesting reading.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Supra Forums has a lot of information on these cars.
    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/index.php?

I haven't owned one, but I've driven a few. The twin turbos be tweaked to really can put out a LOT of power with stock internal pieces, but they don't have the animated, anthropomorphic charm of a Ferrari.

--Matt

12. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mke the Supra does have double a-arm suspension front and rear. I owned a 1997 Supra TT 6spd BPU+ Supra for almost a year and I have modified plenty of them to single massive hp levels with friends. The biggest problem with these cars is the sheer weight of the things. The engine has piss poor throttle response and when paired with the heavy car makes for a very uninvolving driving experiance. Also the steering feels really numb and dead to me like most all Toyota/Lexus. People want crazy money for them when they are in pristine condition and low milage and ultimately to the rest of the world your just seen driving a 1990's Toyota. Massive horsepower doesn't equal massive fun. Once you modify the car to BPU with stock turbos in TTC (ditch the sequential for a true twin spool in order to preserve the life of the turbos which blow like clock work at high boost if left in sequential) or single turbo level it gets so laggy that you have to romp on it just to keep up with traffic as you have no off boost power. You end up either being as slow as a turttle or rocket shipping when in brisk traffic. THat part is really annoying. Combine that with the heavy weight of the thing and I feel the driving experiance is very uninvolving. THe massive hp cars have a Honda Civic like power driving around off boost untill you spool the massive turbo and then the torque just annialates the tires and smacks the car into rev limiter in that gear faster then you can blink. Unless your in 4th or above the power isn't usable at all and you'll lose any street race against something fast that can actually hook unless your running on Drag radials (kiss your handling good bye) and even then I've seen massive hp supra's get worked easily by big motor cars due to problems getting the turbo's spooled without spray (why most the big single guys runs pray). Ultimately every supra guys wants you to do a 70mph 3 honk roll on while driving on an empty, flat, perfectly straight for 10 miles interstate in the middle of the Desert. That way you can use your massive hp to run down whatever your racing on the the top end. IN the real world this simply doesn't happen especially here in Socal where the fwy's are busy 24/7. Great for the guys in Arizona and Texas and other empty states where they have roads like this. Overall for the type of money required to get into a nice clean low milage supra and modify it to single turbo 600rwhp+ levels you can get into a similarly used Viper or Z06, and modify that that for a way funner driving car. Trust me I know from personal experiance. And as far as reliablity there are some guys who have had great reliabilty when they get into massive levels but great reliability doesn't neccesarily mean the car is running perfect..it just means the engine didn't blow apart. Tho trust me plenty of guys blow their engines when they go single and its always because of tuner or user error (You really have to know what your doing when your at such hp/liter levels. The cars are almost never running 100% even at BPU there is always some issues with boost leaks, slipping clutches, valve stem seals leaking, turbo seals leaking, bad tunning, ignition misfire, knock retard or the infamous "I can't hook up" as an excuse for poor performance at the track or street. But what do I know I've only been tinkering with supra's for 4 years now.

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    was a big fan of japanese cars, still am, sensible ferraris:) The supra TT is one of my all time favorite cars...bulletproof, sky high tunability, reliable...just look how many supras are on ebay with 100K miles. Not a ferrari, but if it was me, and they still made them, and it came down to one of these or a ratty 348, Id be a proud toyota owner;)

14. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Rookie

Apr 19, 2004
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all of your feedback.

Take care,
    John

15. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Just my take, but any so-called "sports car" that shares its chassis with another model is NOT a sports car.

16. nonturbo

nonturbo Rookie

Feb 9, 2004

Hmm good buddy of mine has been pushing 750whp is at 154k miles and has no problems yet. Went Single Turbo at 119k miles. Ferrari is better then a Supra in my opinion when it comes to driving. But the fact that a Toyota is more reliable, will walk your Ferrari, and it actually won't melt down, should be enough reason for you to keep your mouth shut. I have plenty of customers running overt 500hp with no problems, why do you have to hate just because it's under the Toyota name? I personally enjoy my Supra but plan on getting an F-Car in the future when I feel I can afford a more unreliable sports car.

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Hmm. Big words from a 14 year old. Been driving on that hardship license?

I hate these threads. They prove nothing.

18. nonturbo

nonturbo Rookie

Feb 9, 2004

I proved my point and all you can do is discriminate because of age? A Supra will never be a Ferrari, but you have to give respect to the car.Also where did I state that I drive my car? I can enjoy it by working on it and modifying it.

And he said the Supra can't run all day when it is indeed a very reliable car under high hp #'s.

19. ferrariman605

ferrariman605 Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Thousand oaks
    Full Name:
    PJ Rizzuti
    supras are very fast and reliable cars. For the buck you spend you get a great car. Its not your average 3000$ toyota.
    -PJ