New Moderators pulling threads. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

New Moderators pulling threads.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by allanlambo, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Rob - I disagree. Allan has been here for a long time and he has been nothing but consistent. Why threaten to ban him now? He is not anti-semitic - I am Jewish (and have relatives who survived Auschwitz) and the use of Getapo in a negative light is not anti-semitic. If you read this thread from start to finish Sfumato entered the fray and claimed Allan was on his ignore list - which he clearly isn't.

Now if Allan gets anti-semitic etc., breaks a bunch of rules - thats anothers story.

I personally think it takes all types to make a community. We don't need excessive moderation and banning. Allan is funny and knowledgeable - sometimes not so nice, sometimes he is an outright prick.

PUT HIM ON YOUR IGNORE LIST IF YOU ARE THIN SKINNED. This is for you Sfumato.

To be honest Sfumato was offensive towards Allan in several ways - taking bets on how long his marriage would last, saying he would kiss his wife with a potty mouth etc. Allan did not offend sfumato's family. Have you issued a similar warning in Sfumato's direction?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with most of what you say. However, although Allan has been consistent and maybe even milder, FerrariChat.com has not been consistent. A larger and more respected community requires changes. From a business perspective I'm not going to loose 500 users by keeping Allan vs. loosing maybe 5 or 50 from banning him. I personally agree, but I can't make community decisions based on my own opinion for many things.

My personal email to Allan was meant as a heads up so nothing is a surprise. If he can continue to add value where he adds values and stop mucking around in **** the rest of the time, then everyone will be cool. If other users attack Allan for no reason because of past deeds, then I will deal with those users on a case by case basis.

Anyone disagree? Look at it from an entire community perspective as I do.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I said:
    "Do you know who Sfumato is?"
    I then gave an extremely brief "I'll tell you who/what this guy is" answer.

If he said he'd piss on a bum,
    I would say:
    "Do you know who/what (X) is?"
    Then I would give an extremely brief "I'll tell you who/what this guy is" answer.

When it comes to driving, purchasing or modifying cars (outside of Ferrari-bashing), Allan thinks before he says or does.
    Is it not fair to suggest to anyone with anti-social behavior that they apply these basic guidelines (People = Think before Say or Do) in their daily (online) life?

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  5. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I agree with Rodsky. If you don't like what someone is posting, put them on Ignore. That's what it's there for. Contrary to the beliefs those thin-skinned members that whine every time someone says something negative about Ferrari, Allan does have valuable contributions to this community. If this place is going to turn into a boring community where everyone agrees with each other, where everyone has to worry about giving their own opinion, and where someone is afraid to stir up some excitement for fear of getting whacked by a moderator, then I won't be visiting much. If this is going to turn into a censored dictatorship, then why have the Ignore feature? With censorship, the Ignore feature is a waste.

You are concerned about losing members based on Allan's postings. I would be more concerned about losing members if you start to over-censor everything.

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Let's bring back TOFAS, but not lock the threads when they're moved there. Leave it as an anything-goes, non-moderated forum, hidden from the general public, but accessible by those-in-the-know as on the old board.

I agree that less moderation is better, but the garbage is starting to overshadow the genuine Ferrari content.

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    The Spam one does....

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Over censoring has never or will never be a problem. With or without Allan. I don't know how you could even make this statement. There would be no quality users leave if Allan was gone.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hey! No spamming the board! LOL!

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Baked beans spam spam spam spam and spam, hold the baked beans.

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    There would be no quality users leave if i was gone? I think a few people would be greatly suprised.

This statement from you is almost as brilliant as the one you posted about Rossa subscribers being stupid for spending the extra money.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I deleted the URL, not the entire thread. I've been a moderator here since the old board and have never been accused of using too heavy a hand. I judged the link to be too graphic for F-Chat and, had we been on the old board, I would have simply sent the entire thread to the TOFAS file. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option.

13. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Completely agree, I say list the words you do not want used as you stated the nudity rules you want and let people say whatever they want. There will be no interpretation of "hurting someones poor feelings". If people use the words or post un aceptable pics they get whatever is coming to them. Moderating content is completely subjective and can never be fair. Something that is anti-semetic to some could be comedy to others. Thats what ignore is for. This community is no different than any other. Do you like all your neighbors? Of course not but instead of telling them what they can say to you, you just ignore them!

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ok, I don't think you're going to change your ways. I was hoping it would work out. The least you could have done is be mature about this, which would have taken you further. You're nothing more than a kid with too much time on your hands.

That comment was taken out of context Allan and you know it.

The board has been better without Mako and it will be better without you. There are plenty of other users on this site without you that can provide balance to our one community topic, which is Ferrari.

I don't have to answer to anyone and I don't have to make decisions that are popular with everyone. Overall, there is no question about the reasonable and good decisions I’ve made for FerrariChat.com. The site wouldn’t be where it is today without those decisions.

I will email you in private to discuss how you want your refund.

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I agree with Rodsky, Clax, and Jeff.

Wayne, you can put in a whoops or take our protests as such. If it was legal under the new terms, then a less heavy hand even when a thread is reported or an amendment to the terms of what is acceptable should happen, correct?

I will defend my right to alien sex pictures and freedom of speech on F-chat if it conforms to the terms and conditions with my participation.

Sunny

16. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    If you guys want to see a reason to moderate a thread go to the "haven't had a funny picture" thread and see how Rudypelligrini pollutes what started out as a good thread. Go to the last two or three pages.

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Jeez man, I feel bad. I'm the one who posted the comment (meant as a joke, with a smiley) that Allan replied to that got him banned. Sorry dude.

Also, I probably should apologize to Carbon/NNO for the joke in the first place.

Dom

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Don't worry, there's only a thousand things that got Allan banned. Several users have "things" in their count, but not up to 1,000 yet. :) Don't sweat it, we're not going on a banning binge, only Gary Green, Mako, and Allan this year.

19. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ok guys how about this:

1.] Any time a moderator deletes or locks a thread from now on we get at least 2 other moderators to agree on it.

2.] As for troubled users, if there is a consensus amoung that moderators a user is a problem, we forward our complaints to Rob.

I will start, I vote to lock the lamarossa threads in offtopic.

I vote to ban the user who started and keeps attacking in the ferrari beater thread, note the thread is fine, but the way the user responds to other users is just wrong. Nothing against him personally, but he is detracting from the community.

I vote to ban lamarossa, who even after I sent him a number of PMs asking what he wants from fchat, does not respond to me, and keeps at it with his nearly illegable posts. Nothing against him personally, but he is detracting from the community.

Rob to fasilitate rapid moderator discourse, can we have a section that does not get saved in archieves (to prevent wasted space) just so moderators can discuss and decide if said post must be locked or not. Or make sticky posts that only moderators/adm can see on the top of sections for the same effect, again that are not saved to archieves.

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Omar

I would also ask you to look at SKIZOACE. I know you are aware of the behavior he pulled couple of days ago when you moderated his posts. He went to the Texas section and started trying to make friends with the locals, thinking none of us will know he is still on the board. He made a carwash thread there you can check out.

Just a heads up, he is clearly a troll, and his racist remarks are really uncalled for.

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Apologize for what...? You've done nothing wrong... There's no harm in a joke; hell, i don't even know what you're referring to... No apologies necessary, my friend...

22. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you delete every thread that detracts from the community it will get out of control. There are plenty of things I read that I think are worthless yet someone else may disagree.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree.

24. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    rob...

i am just a nobody here,but would like to stay here as well.you have stated you will do what the community wants concerning allan...then you pretty much say that this is your forum and you will do as you please.i have no beef with that,but you need to be consistenet with one way or another.concerning the subscription fees.....allan did pay the rossa amount,i think that should count as something.he WANTS to help this community survive and flourish,i have not seen(nor do i have) a subscription amount/name under sfumato's name.or a bunch of other peoples names that are complaining.to me,if someone paid to be here,i would be more tolerant to start than with those that haven't paid anything yet.if you lose a non-subscriber,how much would it really affect the forum...over what someone has paid you to be here?you may lose the 1000 people anyway when next month starts anyway.i,personally(and i don't know if you have or what you have said) would talk to allan and tell him to tone it down or a temporoary ban could ensue(or something like that) and could be permanant if things didn't change.i'm on an R1 forum...it took time for the new mods to feel out how things flow....sometimes a mod has to step in and warm everyone to calm down or the thread will be closed or deleted and that usually works.

i personally like to read the goings on between allan and nno,but i think the thin skinned people need to lighten up some as well.afterall...this is the internet.if someone offends you,what is the point of getting you panties in a wad?what are you going to do?go over and beat them up?put them on your ignore list and forget al about it.....

25. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Sunny, GREAT Monty Python link--thanks!!

This thread makes me feel about as foolish & petty as I could feel after my minor dust with RL up & brief departure a while back.

Geez, folks, (and esp. Ellen & others offended), this is a PRIVATE community. If you don't like the rules (as I didn't for a while), then LEAVE (as I did for a while). Either that or STFU.