Insuring a foreign exotic in the US? | FerrariChat

Insuring a foreign exotic in the US?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KennyH, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    A few buddies were thinking about bringing their cars into the US for the Players Run and asked me to find out if there was an agency that would insure their exotics while on the US streets. Does anyone know and or have experience with such an agency?

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you'd rather not post it on the site.

THANK YOU!

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    okay, i've stopped laughing long enough to reply :).

"Hi, JoeBob Insurance Company Inc.? Yeah, this is Bill. I want to bring my Ferrari over to the states from Spain for a couple weeks. Will you insure it? What? Well, I'm going to be participating in an illegal cross-country race! Yeah, it's a lot of fun! Oh, you don't? Well, why?"

or, alternately, after lying about what's going to transpire....

"Hi, JoeBob Insurance Company Inc.? Yeah, this is Bill. My Ferrari I brought over from Madrid that you insured was totalled." two weeks pass as they investigate... "Hi, Bill? This is JoeBob Insurance Company Inc. Well, it turns out you were engaged in an illegal cross-country race! Yeah, very amusing. **** off :)."

sorry to be a pill, but why on earth would anybody insure such a situation? isn't it not legal to enter into contracts regarding illegal activities? so even if they SAID they'd insure it they almost certainly wouldn't because no court would hold them to it?

doody.

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Doody,

Illegal contracts? The Players Run is NOT illegal nor is their activities- it's the few/rare participants that decide to drive too aggressively that cause problems- but that happens everywhere, not just in an organized cross country rally.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    mea culpa. the players run is a legal operation that runs a legal event legally. my bad for implying otherwise - i didn't mean to cast aspersions on the organization or the cross-country ramble activity.

back in the late 80's i used to do a lot of work for a big law firm that had a big office in boston. they were taking over the space next to them, and were knocking down a wall in the reception area. all the employees signed their names on the wall and wrote little quips and quotes and stuff on it. just having fun before the wall got demo'd. one of the senior attorneys wrote in big gigantic letters across the top of the wall "THE ONLY LAW I KNOW IS DON'T GET CAUGHT". i nearly peed myself laughing when i saw it later that day. it's stuck with me since.

doody.

5. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Kenny,

If they are from Europe, they should have an international policy. I would be surprised if that would exclude the US. I can find out of you want.

Rijk

6. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I'd love you to check if it isn't too much trouble, thanks!

7. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Rijk,

They are from Asia. I'm assuming these are my friends and one of my cars Kenny? 15 cars in Asia. 5 from the Middle East. We've...errr..."brought" one over, but I don't think that will last. Especially since it will have to do around 3000 miles on US public roads.

I spoke to Marcus in regards to this and I've run into roadblock after roadblock. We have a pretty kick butt lineup of cars interested but we are bunch of fickle pansies and are losing interest very quickly given how damn difficult this is turning out to be. The pain-in-the-assness nature of this whole situation is quite unnerving.

The insurance currently in these cars does not allow for any international coverage. Importing and exporting these cars through transfers is also a very costly (read: tax) proposition. I'm pretty much at wits end. Car cannot come on the premise of "show purpose" either.

Again, don't you just hate it when your hobby turns into work?

Cheers

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Certainly player's run has to have somethign figured out for international visitors. How did Gumbal3k have more than 50 cars from abroad here?

--Dan

PS: Doody's sentiments regarding insurance resonate my own; good luck filing a claim if something DOES happen.

9. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    :D The Racing insurance folks are K&K insurance. The best people to talk to is SCCA they MAY have an answer for you. BUT the most important person is a good lawyer in case the worst happens and coverage is REVOKED if you get it.
    IMHO I do not THINK it can be done based on a COMPETION EVENT. In the eyes of the insurance workd (neighbor is an underwriter) ANY TIMED EVENT is a NO NO.
    GOOD LUCK and if you do remember that the SHINNY SIDE GOES UP AT ALL TIMES! :)