Loaned Mondial to friend, now need new grill... | FerrariChat

Loaned Mondial to friend, now need new grill...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rascalif, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Hello

My friend asked me if she could try out my 1986 mondial to make a quick run to the store. I obliged her and a few minutes later got a dreaded phone call from her cell. She was unable to stop and managed to scrape through 4 cars at an intersection. I'm just grateful no one was hurt, and she feels worse about the whole thing than I do.

Anyway, most of the damage is cosmetic to the left and right sides of the car. Howeve, the right hand grill is shredded. So I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get this part?

Thanks in advance!

Ray

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Holy ****.

Many years ago I lent my race car trailer to someone. I really hate lending things to anybody, quite simply because I have met very few people that appreciate anybody elses stuff ... anyway I did this trying to be the nice guy and help a guy out, etc.

Anyway I got a call back that a wheel had come off the trailer, etc. ... The guy did fix the wheel coming off (a stub axle had broken ... which might not sound like his fault, but it was because for some reason he pumped the tyres up to 60 psi. That would have caused huge stresses to go directly to the stub axle. Idiot ;)). When I got the supposedly repaired trailer back it was in a terrible state. This trailer was brand new before this guy borrowed it, and I had to buy new sheets of alloy panelling and spend a couple of weekends of my time repairing it back to as new state.

Conclusion: Not worth lending anything to anybody, UNLESS a real close friend that you know has the same values as you ...

Sounds like your friend got herself a little too excited and out of her depth ... and now you pay the price. One does wonder what other unseen damage she has done to your car ... ie. motor, etc.

Glad she is not hurt, but you have just learnt a leason. Hope she repays you in, er, some appropriate method ... :D :D ;) ;) :D

Pete

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I regularly see them on eBay for sale. You can also try the Ferrari owners site (Ferrari UK) and/or T Rutlands.

4. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Man, I hate to hear about that. "P" was right, you really have to think twice about lending or letting someone else drive your car. In most cases you'll get a "sorry" and unfortunately you're stuck with it some how. I'd suggest F-UK or like someone said eBay or another parts place. Call Norbert Hoffer of Gran Touring Classics in Signal Hill 562-596-9242, he works on older stuff and will help out.

5. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    when you say "right hand grill", are you refering to the intake grate on the rear quarter? T.Rutlands in Atlanta is a good source, also there is a place in Watertown, NY area, "Strictly British" that had some wrecked Mondials that they were parting out.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Had to read but of this reply twice. When you mentioned F-UK, I thought you were talking about how she could make up for the damage, and I was thinking, or 2 or 3, etc. .... er, then I realised that it stood for Ferrari UK ... oops ;)

Pete

7. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    lol!

8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Pete, LOL, get your mind out of the gutter my friend. I think Ray (starter of this thread) is happily married with kids ;)

Ray, sorry to hear about the car, hope it all gets fixed in due time.

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  10. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Lost my 92 TCab to a friend of my wife...so I truly feel your pain. See this and other thread for glad everyone is ok...the rest can be fixed. Hopefully she will do the right thing and take care of it. unfortunately, you may find insurance goes with the car...not the driver. So let this be a warning to all...friends may want to take a spin, make sure they are the kind of friends that will take responsibility as well.

- JMG

11. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Thanks for the feedback. Damage is mostly cosmetic. Car still starts and runs fine. My friend was just a little shaken up. My insurance will take care of it, but luckily my premium will not go up because accidents are tied to the driver, not the car.

Which brings up my follow-up question: For something as minor as minor scratches and dents to the side, would this accident appear on Carfax? I would hate for this to affect the resale value of the car.

I will follow up on your leads and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You lent your Ferrari to a WOMAN?

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Doesn't yours drive one? :D

--Dan

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, but mine can pay for hers.

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Always nice...

--Dan

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Oh, and she paid for hers herself.

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Agree two great resources.

18. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ahhh - good to hear Alan that you don't own a Ferrari. All of your posts now make a lot more sense to me, the 355 is totally your wifes car. Does she let you drive it?

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No, im not allowed. Shes says i might hurt it. Its fragile according to her.

20. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    LOL it's fragile because she knows you too well :)