250 GTO on ebay | FerrariChat

250 GTO on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Prancing_Horse, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
  2. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    It's build in the way I would have build it, with bolts, screws and rivets from the home improvement store.

3. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    it says,

"and while the body shows a few nicks and dings from having been driven"

It only has 21 miles on it if I put nicks and dings every 21 miles, my viper would look like a 88 olds in a week

john

4. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx for the heads up - I'll be watching this one - : )
    One with an Alegretti body went a few months ago for around $140k.. I kept bidding it to the 130's and like the 5th time he listed it it sold while I was away from the computer : (
    Personally I think the price is a little steep on this one but we only live once right?
    Chelle

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think it looks great aside from the gated shifter. Why aren't the gates all the same length?

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    compare. Also, I don't know about that Speedo. Compared these two shifters / consoles: One Ebay, one real

Edit: One with steering wheel is the real one - a 1964 Matsuda model

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this builber has turned out a few very nice recreations in the late 80's early 90's. this is the way i may go in order to have a great car like a gto w/o having to insure it up to $10mm!

there is a car out there that had appeared on law and order about a year ago that had been represented by todd morici a while back...it will be one i will look out for in the future.

these proper recreations are very serious cars.

btw...any allegretti car or autosport car should be considered as these folks are the best in the world. 150k for a allegretti or roberto villa car is a screaming deal!!!

pcb

8. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Pete, The Alegretti car was beautiful... but incomplete in a few ways... the doors had no window frames or windows a few other minor details.. and it had a race prepped 4 liter with racing trans (straight gears)... honestly I liked the body on the Alegretti car better than this one.. .. i was never real fond of the three vents in the fender this one is also missing the venting under the nose... The alegretti car had teh body made off teh original buck.. and I should have bid higher before going out that day.. it would have necessitated selling something but it's a lot nicer than mine.. I've been trying to find a 6 carb setup but the last set Tom had he wanted $8500 for... for that money I'll have a better breating intake fabricated..
    Chelle

9. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I think it looks pretty impressive

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Looks awesome, curious to see HOW they come up with those vin plates? Anyone know?

11. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Well the plates state 250 GTE, so I assumed that chassis donor was originally a GTE.

If you look closely @ the passenger side b-pillar... the paint looks alittle sketchy... like poor mask lines near door window. But I guess that cld simply be poor photos. Cant imagine an Earl Scheib on a car of this caliber.

12. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
  13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Favre is a well known and his GTO replica's are high quality. This car will go for 175K+ and if you're looking for one it would certainly be one to consider.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Napolis, just curious. How do these replicas drive compared to the real thing? If you were blindfolded (I know, I know, stupid analogy, but it is the best I can think of) would you be able to tell the difference?

Thx DrTax

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's a complicated question. Many original cars have been modified over the years and they are often "improved" slightly. There are also a wide range of "replicas". Lee Holman's "continuation" GT40 MKII's are for all intents and purposes identical, wheras Chelle's 240 based GTO's aren't. To paraphrase Popeye "They am what they am."

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You'd sure notice that the synchromesh gearbox is different!

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Again it depends. There are replica's such as Lee's MKII's, CM's Maser's. A few Bug's, D Jag's, that are very close. Mike Sheehan had a GTO replica for sale that was very close.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    the last 1/4 rear is terrible ..

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
  21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Let me ask a different question... Namely, what is it like to drive a 250 GTO? I'm certainly no expert. If I recall, they didn't have a live axle and no transaxle, yes?

I'm guessing that they go like a bat outta hell in a straight line and use ALL the track through an apex. That is, you pick a line and stick to it until you can power out the other side.

Am I close?

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Sorry, just one thing (I'm very interested to hear what it's like to drive one of these!) but just to jump in for two seconds. While I appreciate that "Favre is a well known and his GTO replica's are high quality," the interior, aesthetically, is ruined by the gated shifter. That's all I'm saying. The gated shifter in this repro. looks terrible IMO. Here's the real thing.
    Edit: I'm sure it's so you can't throw it into reverse by mistake, but the classic 5-speed gated box shouldn't be fooled with IMO.

23. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And here's what they came up with.

24. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    It may be a real GTO, however the interior has seen some modern enhancements. i'll assume the white pipes are to get more air to the front windshield and that they changed the steering wheel to something more contemporary. It looks like a MOMO, when they originally came with Nardi wood steering wheels. It looks like this one is being tracked....as it should be.

25. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I read this on Exotics4less.com

Favre replica built on '62 250 GTE 2+2 Series II Chassis with 330 "209" series dry sump motor, 6 Weber 40DCN carbs, wire Borranis. Favre is rumored to have had a link to the factory and his replicas are as accurate as anything but the original, down to the gauges. The last true 250 GTO to sell brought $10.92M at Bonhams, drive this for a fraction at $229,900.