Another 400i question! | FerrariChat

Another 400i question!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Modificata, Nov 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    For those who own or have driven a 400/412. How do they drive? How do they handle? And how quick are they once rolling?

I've heard the autos are terrible. Is this true? Should they be avoided at all costs, or are they good (just not as good as the manuals).

Cheers in advance.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

3. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    I am a 365GT4 2+2 owner. I have also driven a friends 400 I. Basically the 365 with it's 6 side drafts will blow the doors off the 400. That being said if you put on a MSD system on the 400 it would probably be fine. The issue with the 400s is that the FI is less than great. The coolest setup I ever saw was a 400 with a 365 head and carbs on it.

Handling is fine, reminds me of my FIAT Spider but with additional power. There is a difference between them an Rear engines of course, can't really drag your tail around corners like a rear engine car.

In my opinion they are under rated comfy cars. I was within days of purchasing a 348 when a friend of my suggested I take his car for a couple of days. I did so and did not buy one. It was a great car, but I simply could not get out of the car easily. I went to a dealership on vacation looking @ a Maserati Sebring and ended up picking up the 365.

4. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    No 400 owners here?!?

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    5 year 400i owner here.

Car is heavy but handles very crisply except on the tightest type turns or S turns where the weight transfer can be felt. Wonderful on long sweepers, the highway, blasting along two lane roads.

Terrific visibility, no blind spots whatsoever, which makes driving in traffic very easy.

Large turning circle. Power assist steering perhaps a tad heavy at parking speeds, but I prefer to too assisted.

Drove one auto and it felt sluggish to me. Better gearing on 5 speed, can use revs., car is very responsive.

John

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    adnaan,

Just got your e-mail, will reply off board with a full run down, as for handling think XJS jag (speed handling brakes etc.) but with more room and lots more light in the cabin, still wouldnt recomend one for running round London.
    Great touring car though, just the thing to run off for the weekend,
    even though I've been there and done it wouldnt recomend one in England as anything but a weekend / ocacssional toy

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thanks guys.

Andrew thanks for the mail. I'll respond to that.

8. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I haved owned a 1982 400GTi (5-speed), black with tan interior and I really love this car. Can you keep up with a 355? No. But the sound this car makes (special stainless exhaust) is wonderful and knowing that Enzo was alive when this car was made it cool to me. This car is not a track car and there is some body role when pushed a little hard. I read a review of the new A8 and the specs were nearly identical to the 400i. I agree that carbs would be cool, and it would sound better, but my car starts everytime with any problems. A hotter ignition system, K&N filters, and 98 octane fuel would all improve the "sluggishness" mentioned above - although I do not notice that in my car. If you are looking for a 400i by all means get the 5 speed! Why these cars do not sell for more money is beyond me as it was the most expensive car you could buy in 1982 - right at $100,000 after importation costs and conversion. Go out and buy one soon - you could die tomorrow.

9. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I own a 1977 400 with carbs. What John says about the 400i is true about the 400 also. Difference is the great noise a 400 makes with the six Webers, a bit more power, worse fuel consumption etc. Some say the carb cars are hard to start but it is really just a matter of technique.

See http://www.400register.com/
    Simon

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Simon

Been looking at your site for quite some time. Kept me glued for ages!

Hope the resteration is going well. And thanks for the advice.