400i Your Thoughts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i Your Thoughts

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GuardsRed, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh yeah, one other thing: 400i and at least some 412s have the dreaded TRX metric sized wheels and that means that tire choices are limited to Michelins from Coker tire at $250 each. Old tire technology plus they are sometimes back ordered for a few months as I think they only produce one batch a year.

The only fix is to get new conventional wheels.

John

2. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    How about the 365GT4 2+2 ... that's the predecessor of the 400i/412 series. Not injected ... correct? Same engine as 365GTC/4 ... also de-tuned version of Daytona engine, I believe.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, 365 GT4 2+2 had 4390 cc four-cam with 320 hp and six side draft Webers. I think 6 tail lights arranged 3 on each side compared with two and two for the later models.

John

4. ExoticRobert

ExoticRobert Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert
  5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've got the 365 GT4 and have Z rated Pirelli P4000's on it. Handles totally different (much better) than the XWX's I had on it when I first bought it. The 365 is more of an old school design compared to the injected cars. Still has knock off rims, more toggle switches, more minimized design with less agressive spoilers, etc...

Very predictable handling, makes great noise, more than enough power to have fun with, and modest entry fees. Subtle enough to park almost anywhere without worring about it. Parts aren't cheap, can be tough to have work done on (dealers are more focused on the newer cars) but a very straightforward car to work on for a mechanic that isn't a parts changer.

More people need to actually go out and drive one before they write them off as not being on their list. Once you go V12, its tough to go back.

6. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    88blktr:

Is this somebody you know? Do you have an idea of what asking price is? It looks great! Nice pipes too.

7. ExoticRobert

ExoticRobert Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My friend sent that to me via "Auto Trader" Seattle Washington, the asking price is 22K, which sound's like a steal???? Hope this help's..
    Robert

8. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Yep I would agree. We drove my 365 GT4 to Florida last January from Dallas. Ran 80 to 90 and up most of the way. The car ran perfectly. We are probably going to make this trip again this year.

Rodney

9. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    hi,
    my own experience : I have made more than 10k km last year with my 412 5 sp. It's really enjoyable, fun and easy !

major issues I had since I own the car 3 years :
    1/ A/C compressor had to be changed (1k)
    2/ the Direction (not the good word) is a little bit to light for the weight of the car and usually need fixing (not expensive)
    3/ tires (if TRX) : can be found but expensive (mine were 350 euro each !)

Choosing a good car is a key point due to the market value of the car.

Notes :
    1/ 5 speed was a must for me but automatic is also understandable for this car.
    2/ people have very nice reaction with the car as they recognize it as an F-car but usually don't know the model, so they ask !

And finally, in case you would hesitate, for that small amount of money the vendor is asking, you can have that :) :

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Gordon

Do you have any more pictures of your car?

11. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    not that much of good ones in fact !

Gordon

12. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    and this other one.

13. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nice 412. Wife is close to agreement...just need to find a buyer for my 911.

14. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    car is basically a noah's ark of parts...2 of everything...two distribs,two oil filters...if it has fuel injection two airboxs'...an old friend from the ferrari list had one with a tubi system....sounded great...
    exhaust system is expensive to replace (correctly)...rear self level shocks can be replaced with standard konis...clutch cables go...also rear bearings (which are the same as 308s)...TRX tires are a pain...
    the cabin does get kinda hot from that big v-12 so I'm not so sure on the daily driver thing.

15. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Great looking car Gordon! Thanks for posting.

Like to see one of the interior too. Looks like a nice colour combo.

16. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    thanks.

For your wife, it's probably the easiest Ferrari to sell to ! Some points you could use in case you need some :

1/ can take childrens or friends with (it's really a 4 seatters)
    2/ it's probably one of the most compfortable (just don't start it, because of the noise !!!)
    3/ it has a large trunk, so she can take almost as much as she wants if you use the car for a trip.
    4/ it's a Ferrari. No, this one usually doesn't work or if it does then you have to add :"and you'll drive it !"

Good luck !

Gordon

17. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    don't have photos :-( ... i'll do some.

But it's a very nice and soft when your inside.

On this picture you see a little bit more of it.

18. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Haha! Very Funny Gordon. I'll try those on my wife too!

19. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I really like the car in that colour. It looks really good. The 4 seater Ferraris always look better in any colour other than red. 456, 400, and Mondials are three examples for you.

20. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There was a real nice blue on tan 400i that I used to go look at all the time in Honolulu. Was in a parking garage in a building on the corner of Queen and Richards St. Does anybody on this board know who owns that car? I almost left a note begging to buy it.

The question of handling came up on a separate post and I think it is a good question. How is the handling?

How many parts cross to other vehicles, F-car and others?

Please excuse the questions, it just that I am gathering ammo for the spousal assault...it's gonna take a lot since I picked up a real sano '88 Carrera just a few months ago and now I want a Ferrari instead? I can see the eyes rolling now.

21. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Ah that's your first problem. Just buy the car you want. Your wife will find out when it shows up. After you do this a couple of times your wife just gets accustomed to it. My wife's first view of the 365 was in our garage.

The 365 has crisp handling, kind of reminders me of my FIAT Spider with more power. It really feels like a light car even though it is not. It will be quite different than your Porsche though. The Porsche will drag around corners faster, due to the rear engine.

The one issues these cars for that matter most of the Ferraris have is the A/C. I had my A/C customized with a modern custom designed evaporator, condenser, expansion valve etc. I drove the Ferrari through most of the Texas Summer. The car was fine for the driver, vent wise so so far the passenger. This year we are adding an additional fan for more air circulation. With the Mods the car is now running 4 tons of A/C.

Of course if you like the small car rear engine feel, just purchase the Ferrari and with your change purchase a LANCIA Scorpion (2 Liter conversion @ Least)

22. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Score! Wife is not opposed...let the search begin!