456 production colors?? | FerrariChat

456 production colors??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Davidindallas, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Now that the production is up does anyone know if or where the production numbers by color can be gleaned. I've seen quite a few dark blue, dark green, black and silver. Fewer red, dark red, and light green. I'm looking at a yellow one and can't decide if it's awful or cool (pictures only at this point). I have no idea if there is any account of this or if my I've seen alot of blue ones is about as good an idea as I'll ever have.

2. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I heard from the dealer that blue is difficult to sell but I like it though, I guess yellow is even more difficult to sell,

I don't think I like it very much in yellow,

Shelbee

3. Onlinesys

Onlinesys Formula Junior

May 1, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I love 456 buy yellow is just a bit....

4. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #4 F1racer, Mar 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #5 F1racer, Mar 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Mike-456M

Mike-456M Rookie

Jun 10, 2016
    Grigio Ingrid. It's the color Ferrari chose when it introduced the car. Everyone who sees my car loves the color, particularly with the Bordeaux interior. But, everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes.

Mirek and Salami like this.
  7. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I’d call it champagne and I like it a lot on 456. I wouldn’t like yellow, but it is a good yellow at least. Not too saturated but not too pastel, and a touch of orange. I think the best color on it is silver but it’s a bit boring. The burgundy red metallic is also nice. And I like mine in black although I’m not normally a fancy black cars.
    has there ever been one in white?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That opinion was 17 years ago. Looks like the mod added the photo. Personally, Ingrid looks great on our V12s.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's a white 456 around these parts. Looks great in that color...T

10. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Here is the distribution of colors for all 456M (GT & GTA) that came to the US.

Attached Files:

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- What does your database say about the split between US MGTs and MGTAs? In the UK last info I have from Maranello Concessionaires is 33 GT and 139 GTA.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    95 total M GT's, and 274 total M GTA's for a total of 369 M's in the US. That's over the 98-03 MY so ~75 cars/yr.

13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    #13 jtremlett, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Your spreadsheet has a total of 338, so the numbers don't match?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Between the UK and US, that makes 413 GTAs, nearly 2/3 of all the GTAs.

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That is the color sheet that shows 339. The summation of the year by year tabs shows 369. You can also find UNK (unknowns) for color in the year by year sheets. Since Ferrari doesn't publish any of their production data like the stuff I've been trying to put together, it is one of the entertaining side games with the brand to try and concoct these "registry" sheets. Some from online sources, some from monitoring cars listed for sale, some by talking to owners on here, etc. It's sort of a treasure hunt game for cold winter nights in New Hampshire. Results are probably about 90% accurate. Example might be I'm not sure at this point if there were 93 M GT's that came to the US or if the number was 95. If it was perfect, the game would be over and no more fun to be had. Another fun part is trying to account for those lost to fire, accidents, etc.

Mirek and F456M like this.
  16. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, I think the autos were popular in the US compared to most other places. 25% manuals in the US, 75% autos. Apparently we lean toward the cushy side here in the states! Or maybe you want to make that correlation to English speakers to be inclusive of the UK folk. Clearly some Ferrari marketing dept thinking involved in the distribution.

17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Believe me, I know. I do the same for all Ferraris.

However, since your color sheet has 338 and includes unknowns, I don't see where the extra 30 come from? Surely all cars must have either a known or an unknown color?

456 Ms are a bit complicated because I'm not entirely clear where 456s stop and 456 Ms begin. I think there is some overlap in chassis numbers.

18. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The break in '96 with no deliveries because of the NHTSA imposition of OBDII requirements only affected 456s. "97 cars were all 456s.

M cars started in MY 98 and my first VIN is 109267, an unknown manual. (Of course the first one is an unknown!!). I have 21 cars in 98 with only one other manual. 3 of the 21 are unknowns. Unknowns applies to external/internal colors and other equipment details. The manual/auto is readable from the VIN number.

In MY 99, I have 120 cars. 23 Manuals, 16 unknowns.
    MY 00, 89 cars, 23 manuals, 17 unknowns,
    MY 01, 67 cars, 23 manuals, 7 unknowns
    MY02, 21 cars, 11 manuals, 4 unknowns
    MY 03, 33 cars, 14 manuals, 2 unknowns

So looking over my sheets on a year by year basis, I get
    351 cars. 96 manuals, and 49 unknowns.
    There are some oddities about individual entries that I don't think can be resolved without knowing the car/owner.
    Sure, there are some inconsistencies, but as I've said, the data is hard to come by, self-inconsistent and I take this not as definitive but indicative of what was built and sent to the US. cie la vie

19. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Ok, thanks. So, the discrepancy is because your color sheet doesn't include MY 98 but your total does.

20. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Another interesting thing regarding the ratio is that manual M's became more popular with each year, increasing to an almost 50/50 split at the end of production.