Talk me out of a Chevy Tahoe | FerrariChat

Talk me out of a Chevy Tahoe

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Jul 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    On vacation and been driving a new Tahoe premier/premium? Loaded out. Nice ride, all the creature features. What’s not to like?

ive got a 2010 land cruiser that’s a bit long in the tooth. LC is now gone from the US. The new Lexus version of thewould cost me $100K.

Looks like the loaded Tahoe is $65-ish. Why not just do that and swap one out every 3/4 years?

VAF84 likes this.
  2. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I’m a GM convert when it comes to full size suv class. We have a 19 Escalade which is basically a Yukon Denali or Tahoe LTZ. We recently discussed swapping it for the new Yukon’s. For the most part, no issues, and great ride. Plenty of space and tech. Very inexpensive to maintain. Easy access to parts if anything every goes wrong on the road. The new models lose the rear truck suspension (con for some) resulting in ride improvement. I think they look great. I have a heavy foot so I have to have the 6.2L engine, but from what I recall the 5.9 wasn’t too bad. Then again, if you don’t like speeding around it’s a non-issue.

When comparing Tahoe to the land cruiser:
    Pro’s: Much less expensive to buy and maintain, better tech, mechanically I think it’s equally reliable for 10 years or 120-150k miles, maybe better mpg?, looks great and for at least two model years before looking severely dated
    Cons: Less “cache” than the cruiser, maybe less capable off-road (assuming you get into some rough places), the cruiser will have better build quality and less gremlins (little annoying things from time to time), if you keep the Cruiser it will probably still look appealing 30 years from now.

If I was you I wouldn’t have any qualms with moving to a Tahoe (or Yukon).

3. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    For decades I always drove full sized Chevy or GMC trucks which share architecture with the big SUV's.
    I trade out every 3-4 years always keeping the vehicle under warranty.
    Very reliable and comfortable vehicles. Relatively cheap to own. If it's a daily driver/hauler and you are going to put a lot of miles on it, it's a good way to go.

4. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    My neighbor had one for over 10 years and got a new one last year
    He has had really good experiences with them

5. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    We are on about out tenth Tahoe over the past 20 years. Wife is currently driving a 2021 High Country. Every one of them has been a pleasure to own. Never did anything more than normal maintenance to any of them. Cannot recommend them more highly. You will not be disappointed. Good luck finding one right now, though.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    You cannot go wrong with full size GM, great trucks. Germans are more agile and luxurious, but for an SUV with space and how SUVs are used ... it's hard to beat them.
    Each new version of the trucks feels like a better version of the older trucks, so it's easy to get hooked on them as they are very familiar as new models are released.

Bas and VAF84 like this.
  7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    so do you just buy and trade every 2 years? If so, what sort of $$ check do you write at trade-in? $20K-ish?

8. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. The wife’s Tahoe generally gets handed down to me or one of the kids. So, when it comes time to trade, the vehicle getting traded is older than 2 years. But, based on what I’ve seen, if you want to trade after 2 years, figure on about 25 to 30k difference between depreciation and the rising cost of new vehicles. YMMV

9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have no experience with the Tahoe, but have driven the Ford Expeditions and before discontinued Excursions and I was over the moon impressed with both in terms of comfort, features, size, and finish. I rented a base level Escalade and thought it felt small and pretty non-luxurious for the price point. I expected much more. I'd get the high end Fords before I'd get into a Escalade so based on that I'd still lean Ford. Have you cross shopped at all, OP?

10. showme1946

showme1946 Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbia, Missouri
    Full Name:
    George Rickerson
    Tahoes are great if you enjoy watching your lower body and bumpers rust.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Have had 3 Expeditons, the oldest has become the woods truck with 313k. The second gen was not the greatest, but the the third and on are very nice.
    Tahoe’s are nice as well, and solid trucks. The 07-11 years seem to be a sore spot, but GM has corrected most of the issues from what I’ve seen. You’d be happy with either, or get the Suburban if you really want some room. I love our Expedition EL for trips with the family. Looked at Excursions, but the premium for a 20 year old truck just wasn’t worth it.

12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I agree that for the previous gen Escalade/Tahoe it was harder to tell the difference, but for the new model year I believe that has changed. Still, the Yukon looks so good to me, that I would have a hard time deciding whether to splurge on a Escalade or get a Yukon. There's not much a of a price difference between Yukon and Tahoe, so at that point it's mostly preference. All three are handsome SUV's. Regarding finishes on the Ford products, the seats in my 17 King Ranch are more comfortable and functional than our 19 Escalade. By functional I mean that the Ford seat's cooling mechanism works where as GM's I can't feel anything. In fact sometimes it feels like it's warming rather than cooling. I haven't spent enough time in the new GM products to see if this has changed.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Get one if you want, but the new ones look ridiculous with the tiny wheels and mammoth slab sides. The ground clearance is worse than a Camry. They appear to be a minivan in disguise. Once you see it, you can never consider owning one.

tritone likes this.
  14. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Fair opinion for sure. My experience was based on 2017 and older models. My opinion is completely worthless on anything newer especially if GM has upped their game. It sounds like its getting more and more difficult to say one or the other is a clear favorite which makes us, as the buyer, the real winners. Which is exactly what it sounds like you're touching on. Good to know all are good vehicles.

VAF84 likes this.
  15. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I absolutely agree with your opinion, but sadly the consumer market has spoken. They're turning into what you describe because lets face it, the majority of people aren't taking these vehicles anywhere near a patch of grass, let alone any real off road terrain. Hence why they discontinued the Land Cruiser.

BT likes this.
  16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i bought a new 07 model in 06. we still have it. wont die....

cheap to maintain

rear seat entrance is tighter (better than the LC/LX) than one would expect but otherwise it does everything it is suppose to

mine is 4x4 with lockers. i'd put it against anything off road that is factory

i also own a LX and an Excursion. 20" michelin road tires are going to get you nowhere off road and the Excursion gets stuck on flat pavement.....

Bas likes this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Careful these trucks when new are nice and tight and quiet. But at about 40k they losen up... Get creaky... Muffler gets loud.

The 07-13 or so we're absolutely dumpster fires of trucks.

Center consoles broke. Dash boards cracked. Door handles peeled to razor sharp pieces. Motor mounts went bad. Early trucks had trans problems. Trans mounts went bad and rear end bearings were weak.

The later trucks were better but... Still creaky. Not nearly as tight as a land cruiser. They will not last or wear like a land cruiser.

Yes the v8 engine needs almost nothing. And the frame is good and they will plug along... But the rest of the truck crumbles around it.

A land cruiser is twice the truck but has half the technology.