Seiko quality? | FerrariChat

Seiko quality?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by rdefabri, Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm a huge fan of Seiko (and Japanese products in general), I think they are an overlooked brand at times.

I was looking at their Sharp Edge GMT watches, and caught some videos suggesting their quality is slipping (dial misaligned, not best finishing, etc).

I find it hard to believe, but then I have no point of reference. Most recent Seiko related product I purchased was an Orient Sun and Moon which is amazing, so my perspective is skewed.

Any of this true from your experience or what you've heard?

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Not all Seikos are made in Japan. I have heard that the Japan manufactured/market watches are better made.

rdefabri likes this.
  3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was thinking of starting a Seiko appreciation thread after seeing the thread about the fake one recently. I've got a few Seikos. I've never really looked that close to see the tiny imperfections but started looking after that thread got me wondering.

I haven't seen that many issues, there is somehow a hair that appears to be inside my baby orange Monster, just sitting there on the dial. No idea how it got there and I can't seem to recall where I bought that particular watch.

Other than that, most of what I've seen in videos is pretty minor stuff. I don't see where any of mine are misaligned or anything. I've heard of bezels not being properly aligned but mine all seem fine.

All I know is I think they are great quality especially considering the prices. Are they as finely crafted as a Rolex or Patek? Maybe not but if you look at Seiko history they are a pretty amazing company.

What I really would like to get now is a Grand Seiko spring drive. Amazing watches but in the $5k-$6k range for the ones I really like. That's outside my watch budget, at least for now. ;)

I took some pics of my small "collection" the other day, I'll try to remember to post some up. I've been watching quite a few videos on some of the different Seikos, they make a ton of watches. This is another that's caught my eye........the Sumo Ice diver....that is about in my watch budget range!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JDZNate, rdefabri and Boomhauer like this.
  4. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I have an old Seiko 5 that was my father's, it's fantastic and it works great. I've always found Japanese market items to be of the highest quality (outside of recent issues with a Nissan I formerly owned).

I'd be shocked if any of this is rampant. Probably one-off issues.

Shark01 likes this.
  5. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    Grand Seikos have amazing quality given their price point. I collect watches and really appreciate the detail and construction of these watches.
    my two cents
    vdm

classic308, johnireland and rdefabri like this.
  6. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Love that Ice diver. Grand Seiko is worth every penny. Wonderful watches. I only have one, a light blue snowflake dial spring drive. Quality is on par or higher than most luxury brands.

ryalex and Jdubbya like this.
  7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The Ice diver would be my compromise for not wanting to spend the money on a Grand Seiko snowflake!! That is an amazing watch!!

8. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Found an Ice diver on Chrono24 and bought it. Got it new for a bit less than list, so about list price with tax and shipping. :)

9. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Love it. I should pick up the ice diver. I do have a green “king turtle”. About half the price on a rubber strap. They make some great ones. Addictive, just like g-shock and Rolex. Always something new and cool

10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Here are some of my watches, mostly Seiko with a few oddballs tossed in. The bottom row all Seikos. Top row left two are the Rvlvr watches I just bought, a Magrette (the squarish body one), a wood watch my brother bought me, and my Ballast on the far right. Have a few other older watches but I never wear them.

The Prospex PADI and the Ballast are probably my two faves. Both on the bigger/heavier side which I like. The Rvlvrs are Seiko movements too. I'm liking them so far. They have a TON of lume.

poljav likes this.
  11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Someone here has a Seiko white "Helmet" - was that you? Beautiful watch, I'd love to get one. A Credor too, but that's above my pay grade. :D

12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I still have the first model quartz watch that they made in 1970. I wonder what it is worth

Sent from my SM-G975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rdefabri likes this.
  13. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    No, not me. I do have one or two older quartz Seikos that quit working and I just never bothered getting a new battery in. I used to have one of the Kinetic ones, it was kind of cool but I'm not sure what ever happened to that one. Looked like this...

rdefabri likes this.
  14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Ice diver is supposed to be here tomorrow. But it's coming Fedex and I have horrible luck with them showing up when I'm not home. We'll see I suppose, it's supposed to be signature required but last time that happened they just left the package on my porch.

rdefabri likes this.
  15. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well Fedex surprised me and showed up early today. Got the watch. I love it so far. The cyclops for the date will take a bit of getting used to but not bad. Love the colors, the light and dark blue contrast each other well. These Prospex cases are just so comfortable to wear. This may become my new favorite watch!

16. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Yes they are comfortable. I do like the bracelet. The rubber strap is too long on any of the Seiko divers I've had.

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Same here.....

rdefabri likes this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Agree, I would like one, and think they area bargain for that price.

rdefabri likes this.
  19. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The colors on this thing in the sun are insane. It almost looks like it's glowing. What a cool piece. I will say mine does have the issue with the 12 o'clock pip not being perfectly aligned with the chapter ring. But it's barely noticeable and won't bother me. I'll see if I can get a decent picture of it but the line in the middle of the lume lines up closer to the left edge of the 12 chapter ring marker.

20. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Seiko is a first class company...in the watch business longer than Rolex. Even their cheap watches are good.

greg328 and rdefabri like this.
  21. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    And to dig up a thread from not too long ago. The Ice Diver that I bought and posted about earlier in this thread is probably gonna end up going in for warranty work. The stem is getting to the point of being just about impossible to pull out. Something is obviously not quite right inside there. I wore it a few days ago and I had to pull so hard to get it to pop out that I couldn't get it to even come close to stopping on the first click to change the date.

But I bought it new from an AD so started looking at how to send it in for a claim. Will probably take some time this weekend to package it up and get it ready. Disappointing to say the least.

22. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Don’t be too disappointed, mechanical things break. A couple years back I bought a Rolex GMT Pepsi from an AD and it worked for a month. Right at the start of Covid They had to send it to Rolex. It took 6 months to get it back.

Jdubbya likes this.
  23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I suppose your right, but it does go the point of this thread. Mailed it off today. We'll see how responsive or how long it takes to get it back.

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have a Seiko 5 that I like quite a bit. My dad was a big Seiko fan.

Jdubbya likes this.
  25. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well my watch was delivered today. They're on the clock now. :)