456 MGT, 1 year storage, how to re-start the car | FerrariChat

456 MGT, 1 year storage, how to re-start the car

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JM35, Jul 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Hi everyone,

I have a 456 MGT , the car have been place in storage for a good year.

What will be your thought on how to safely re-start the car

Obviously
    -The Battery ( the power was turned off during a year) need to be charge and controlled for good condition
    -Tire pressure to be check

Will you recommend any other step to preserve the engine, I'm thinking about try to start the car without the ignition to circulate the oil before the ignition is re-connect and the engine is fire-up

Please let me know what you will do

For info, this car have been running use as daily drive for nearly 8 years and it is the first time the car was placed in a dry -storage place

Thanks
    Jm

2. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    In terms of the engine just start it after you check the battery and fluids.

If it’s been in dry storage, 12 months isn’t a long time in the scheme of things if the car was well maintained when it was put into storage.

Mirek likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    How much fuel was in the car? Did you have any preserver in the fuel?

Check basic fluid levels.

I guess you could pull the fuses or relays for the fuel pumps and turn the engine over a few times to see if there are no strange noises.

I’d be worried about the battery. If it’s too low, it may not even recharge. Some batteries hate being run flat.

4. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I have had my 1995 456 GT in dry storage several times for over one year, the longest was from July 2018 to September 2019. Just took off the car cover, opened the bonnet, switched power on, opened the locks, opened the drivers door, got in and started the car. Drove to the nearest gas station and put in fresh fuel, checked the oil, ATF and tyre pressures, then drove to Denmark and took a ferry to Norway! :)

Cheers!

JM35 and pkl03 like this.
  5. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    This is what it shall be ....:)

Fennicus likes this.
  6. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    There is a great chance that the battery will need to be replace

7. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I do that and it’s certainly not bad. But after charging the battery you will find it starting right away.