Magnus walker compares 360 to 355 | FerrariChat

Magnus walker compares 360 to 355

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Jul 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    crinoid and Qavion like this.
  2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Fark he looks like a hobo!! love his shirt. Great vid.

armedferret and Dewinator like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think the 355 owners will say that they love the 355... and the 360 owners will say they love the 360 :D Is there anyone here with both?

Styling seems to be polarising in many cases. I grew up with the "wedgies" as he calls them, but there are still some nice, subtle curves on the 355. The 355 bodywork seems to be draped directly over the wheels. The 360 seems to carry a lot of metal above the wheels which doesn't always equate to musculature, rather bulk.

Obviously, the 360 is better built, but I think maintenance costs will start to even out a little over time. Both cars are starting to get old and, electrically, the 360 seems to be quite a bit more complicated.

4. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    IMO he missed a big part of the driving experience by taking the 360 through the hills with the windows up. Friends don't let friends drive their Modena with the windows up.

armedferret and Matt Andrews like this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Love them both.., but it’s like comparing a c4 to a c5 corvette. Major step change in power/weight and stiffness and engine in service.

tonyc likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Looks like a Phil Robertson-Rob Zombie lovechild...

7. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for sharing that. I enjoy Magnus Walker, always doing something interesting. I think he got the analysis right, although he'll probably just buy one of each.

For a new guy like me who wants a modern enough gated car, the obvious choices are the 355 and 360 (well and the 550, but that's different).

I started out looking at the 355 but landed on a 360. The appeal of the 355 was always the looks and packaging. But when I took a fresh look at the 360, it appeals to me more today than it did when it came out or even 10 years ago. This is especially true with the spiders.

In a couple of years, maybe I'll teach my 13 y/o to drive in the 360...what could possibly go wrong?

/

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Didn’t bring anything new to the conversation that has been going on for 20 years. Will be interesting if he ever decides to buy one. But always nice to see older cars get exposure.

9. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    the dude abides...he shoulda been drinking a white russian through the whole thing

Thank you for that, somewhat epic vid

Bit of a let down that he didn't decide!

Great to see two of the greatest cars going at it on such great roads

10. imflyinbiya

imflyinbiya Rookie

Jul 29, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    I had been engaged in conversation with Magus for some time regarding this episode and the use of my car. I feel like the car he selected didn't do the 360 justice. Terrible color spec and ridiculous wheels. Perhaps I am just bitter that the F1 is continually overlooked by those that haven't experienced it properly.

Skippr1999 and ShineKen like this.
  11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I learned stick on my dad's Mondial back in 86, so why not?

FatMike likes this.
  12. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Those wheels on the the 360 are terrible

FerrfanFL and FatMike like this.
  13. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Having learned stick on a 197something Datsun B210 hatchback, every car since has been a joyful step up, though it was great fun to drive

Guess the only downside to learning on a Ferrari is it's hard to step it up!

14. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Having owned a gated 355 Spider for 9 years and now as owner of a gated 360 Spider I can offer a little perspective here.

Both cars are magical in their way. While undeniably one of the prettiest 8cylinder Ferraris of modern times, the 355 is still a handful to live with. It's more on the "classic" side of the modern classic divide where the 360 is much more "modern" but is becoming a classic now. The 355 is not a Porsche 911. One cannot just get in and go. There is a always a chance it won't start or will leave you stranded or any other eventuality. So in that sense it is not as driveable.

The 360 is the better car on virtually every dimension. Yes, electricals are a bit more fussy in the 360 but the 355 electricals aren't exactly great either.

I opted to sell my 355 and get into a 360 because after 9 years it was time to let someone else enjoy it. We had our fun together. We also had a lot of heartbreak and I have the receipts to prove it. I wanted a somewhat more modern Ferrari that was more driveable but still had elements of classic Ferrari feel. The newer Ferraris were either out of my price range or felt too much like video games to me. I also wanted to own one that was likely at its market bottom and would probably never be at these prices again. I think I was right.

As to styling, we all know that is highly subjective. Styling-wise, I personally still think the 355 is still a more pure and more beautiful design than the 360 but I tired of the idiosyncracies of the 355 and yearned for something I can enjoy more readily and one that would (hopefully) be easier on my wallet when it came to services.

Anyhow, I don't regret the move and hope I never will. Glad I owned the 355 but even happier that I now own a well-optioned, gated 360 Spider in good colors that I hope to enjoy for many more years.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.

ketel

G8TD, Bob in Makiki, Qavion and 4 others like this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You guys already know what I think :).

All jokes aside, reading the Instagram/FB comments, there's like a 9 to 1 bias towards the 355 based on looks alone. As others have mentioned, the particular 360 chosen did the 360 no justice. Poor choice of wheels. Easy to put a 360 together to look much better than that. It's an honest review and pretty much on point. Both cars had poor exhaust choices and it was a missed opportunity to show off the amazing sounds that generation of Ferraris produced. I rarely saw them wind it out more than 6K RPM.

If a 2.7 F355 was chosen with the right exhaust setup, you can get closer to a 400 hp or more feel. In the same token, I nicely spec'd 360 (carbon seats, front mesh upgrade, CS wheels, challenge rear grille, etc) will look just as nice as a 355, if not better. Will boil down to if you like bigger or smaller.

Both cars are great representatives of the era. The highlight of that comparison is showing off the gated shifter.

Considering Magnus' responses to comments and his preference for smaller cars, I think he likes the 355 more.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ok finally got to watch the video.. wow great production effort from real car people not joe-you-toobers.

arguing about 360 vs 355 vs 430 is like two nfl qb’s comparing supermodel girlfriends. Rather silly. I would have any one of these in my gar as long as it’s clickety-clack gated.

love the press our ‘uh hem’ entry level cars are getting.

ShineKen likes this.
  17. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Love all the comments on this. First thing is to congratulate Hagerty for this great content they are producing. But they cut some corners in production as there were many takes of driving through the canyons that were increased in speed in post production, would have been nice for them just to leave as is and they totally missed the gun on engine sound. Now, the 360 they picked wasn't really the best choice and if they wanted people to really freak out they would have picked a 355 with a capristro exhaust. Game ovaa.

The review was on point but I have to say I expected more. Magnus is a great guy and very knowledgeable but I don't think this type of vehicles are of his liking as mentioned in his comment on entry level ferraris at the beginning of the video, unnecessary and not true as These aren't entry level ferraris. The fact is that the reality doesn't even matter because we all know that the 355 and 360 are way better than any 911 all day long.

18. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike

Magnus is a car guy - but I see him primarily a Porsche guy. His 911 collection is epic:

/

550nitis and one4torque like this.
  19. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I think this is a better representation of the driving experience of the 360, windows down. Starts about 2:34.

tonyc and Qavion like this.
  20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I would love to see a magnus outlaw lightweight gated 360…. And 355 for that matter. Probably the last f car platforms that can be outlaw style builds wo all the digital nannies.

while flying home from vac this weekend I was daydreaming of such a lw gated 360 with a custom ind throttle body or ind carbs sitting atop the 360 mill w aftermarket ecu. No sound deadening, lw seats, center hub am forged wheels…. Aftermarket coil overs, Lexan everywhere…. No posh anything…. I’ve yet to see this style Fcar build.
    Magnus would be a good man for this.

ShineKen likes this.
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Outlaw 355? That would be me :). I'd be willing to sell Magnus one of my 355's (for the right price) if he's willing to do something cool with it.

one4torque likes this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Wish there were subtitles on that video. Looks like he goes into some interesting technical details on the engine.

Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  23. Hawaii Brit

Hawaii Brit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2018
    Honolulu
    AndreB and colorfull like this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  25. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I enjoyed the video, but it was a bit disappointing that they didn't make a real choice. I love both of the cars too, but come on man!

colorfull likes this.