FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX 2021 - SILVERSTONE - THE RACE - ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀. | Page 27 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX 2021 - SILVERSTONE - THE RACE - ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀.

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Curious, were you disappointed with the way Charles comported himself in the post race? He was certainly ebullient after his fine seconds place and did not hesitate to yuck it up with Hamilton. He had a ringside view on the Max/Lewis shunt, yet also made no overture of concern regarding Max in the podium interview.

2. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    I've seen mention of the crowd supposedly cheering Max's accident, but I saw no clear evidence of the on the world feed or the fan videos. There was definitely lots of applause when Max excited the car...but before this?

I do remember in the 2019 the orange army in Germany was wildly cheering with joy as Bottas spun off at high speed, even before the car came to a rest.

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If Hamilton does it again then he needs to have a severe penalty but Max hasn’t committed any offenses (yet) so assuming the roles are reversed and Max spins Hammy will Max get a slap on the wrist like Hammy? That’s where the FIA are in a quandary.

ypsilon likes this.
  4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    One of many from different stands...

classic308 likes this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

No matter what Sergio is NO threat to Max..............

7. Perez suffers like those before him in Red Bull’s second seat

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing, and Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing, on the grid, ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 car unveiling

Photo by: Charles Coates / Motorsport Images

Sergio Perez appeared to have the Red Bull support role nailed after picking up the pieces to win in Baku and then claim a deserved podium at the next race at Paul Ricard.

But after being in the wars in Austria against McLaren’s Lando Norris and Leclerc, Perez’s performance in the British GP had shades of the struggles Pierre Gasly and Alex Albon endured before the Mexican came to Red Bull’s rescue.

It must be said it is down to fine margins, but qualifying behind Leclerc on Friday night set the wheels in motion for Perez's downward spiral. Trapped in the midfield battle at the start of the feisty sprint race, he was caught out by dirty air and spun off, to be condemned to the back of the grid for the main event.

Despite Red Bull F1 car tweaks made in a bid to aid his retaliation in the grand prix, but also meaning a pitlane start, Perez was making progress until he got stuck in DRS trains and then got impatient and collided with Kimi Raikkonen.

A P10 finish was as good as it was going to get until Red Bull sacrificed that solitary point to pit Perez for softs to take the fastest lap point away from Hamilton – even though finishing outside of the top 10 meant he wouldn't earn the point himself.

Perez has slipped back to fifth place in the standings and is set to play ‘who can be the best support driver’ against Valtteri Bottas for the rest of the year.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/10-things-we-learned-from-f1s-2021-british-grand-prix/6633842/

6. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    I'm sure Max will race Lewis extra hard, but he will have maintain a certain degree of plausible deniability. You're going to get hammered (and rightly so) if an incident is seen as intentional/retaliatory.

william and ricksb like this.
  7. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    You've found one boorish individual - and I'm sure you can find some more...but do they represent more than a small minority of fans?

ricksb likes this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Leclerc's team radio right after the Max shunt "Is Max okay??"

stavura, Picchu88, ypsilon and 3 others like this.
  9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    wow... did you not turn on your audio? And feel free to comb twitter on your own time to find the other clips from yesterday; if folks haven't deleted them already.

10. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Yea, and was the same Lewis' team radio right after Max's shunt.

Not sure your point...my point was if Hamilton is being excoriated for not being suitably somber in the post race, surely Charles should be open to some criticism as well.

william likes this.
  11. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    I don't hear a collection people cheering a crash.
    There's always going to be crowd noise when cars are fighting for the lead, and then audible gasps, ooos and ahhhs and exclamations when are shunts. Please direct me to swathes of people are gleefully cheering if you can - I'll be very willing to condemn them for you

Something like this:

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Charles wasn't involved in the incident. Charles wasn't the one who punted Verstappen off the track into a wall at 51G. Charles wasn't the one who held up the podium celebrations to go gleefully running around the paddock with a flag. The tone from the two is not on the same scale. However, if Charles had been directly involved in the incident, I'd have expected some greater decorum from him.

The constant refrain that it is impossible to be disappointed in Hamilton without also expressing equal condemnation among other drivers who either weren't involved in that incident or who retired years ago is very tiresome. When Hamilton triumphs, he's special, set apart, accomplishes it all through the grace of his talent in the face of unjust adversity that nobody else has to contend with. When he does something stupid or overly aggressive, it's "but what about (insert name)?!?!?"

Anyway, I'm out. Your defense of him in this instance is unsubstantiated as far as I'm concerned.

All the best,
    Andrew.

furoni, 375+, sammysaber and 9 others like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Read @NeuroBeaker post #658.

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Ok hamboner…godspeed

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#667 Natkingcolebasket69, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Andrew u must not have been following this f1 forum for a long time?
    Your when “Hamilton triumphs tirade “is not what happens on f1chat. I am threading carefully as u are a mod here but …
    Let me replay it for you as it happens on this site.
    If Hamilton wins it’s all the car, or he is the luckiest man on earth (which he very much may be)(and the car plays a big role too).
    I’d go as far as saying that 75%+ of the posters are not fan of his and denigrate him.
    If he doesn’t - well it’s simply a long string of he is not that good, sir Elton, craphilton and all that… must have missed those
    So on fchat there is no winning for him but I guess he doesn’t care;)
    Bring on “gentleman”Max vs Lewis in Hungary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william likes this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I didn't hear anything from Lewis regarding Max's shunt until hours later.....after the race.

Jeronimo GTO and lagunacc like this.
  17. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    With the cost cap, how about if any driver found mostly responsible for another car's damage has their team budge reduced? I don't know if a crash like Max' is included in the cost cap, but I think it is.

18. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    The boorish individuals on both sides are in the minority, else you wouldn't have a functioning system.
    The media is focusing on side exclusively.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I didn't hear that, but I have heard that there are modes on the energy recovery battery where the car is considered "unsafe" --- which is why they had those large "discharge" buttons installed when the hybrid F1 cars first came out. Do they still have those?

rdefabri likes this.
  20. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    freshmeat and JJ like this.
  21. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Hamilton just won his home Grand Prix (after a relatively rough patch of races) and LeClerc lost the lead in closing laps - off course the tone and scale was different.
    But both were clearly very happy and both not overly concerned about Max, as they had been told he was OK, which he was.
    If there was any legitimate doubt of this I'm sure celebrations would have been suitably more muted.

I absolutely think Hamilton is special. I've thought so since the mid 2000s, and I believe his on track record has borne this out. I also think the scale of of noise he's had to deal with throughout his entire career and the legitimately ugly rancor aimed at him has been beyond ridiculous and at times disgraceful - I think he handled most of it very well. I've never argued that he is infallible on track or off - no racing driver is.

If I had to opportune blame in the Silvertone contact, I would give most it to it to Lewis, but sorry I don't think it was stupid or notably overaggressive.

spider_s, Terra, bmwracer and 2 others like this.
  22. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    The immutable laws of racing, brought to you by F1metrics... who also illuminate us (the emotionally driven un-washed) to the rational truth that 0-time GP winner Nico Hulkenburg is indeed a better racing driver than both Senna and Prost.:)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Almost as logical as using one fallacy to invalidate another…