Where to after 6-speed F430 | FerrariChat

Where to after 6-speed F430

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by drmc, Jul 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I’ve had my F430 6-speed spider for about two years now and have loved every second of it. However, I’m a ‘variety is the spice of life’ kind of guy so my mind is starting to wonder about what could be next.

The car must be a manual and convertible supercar. Absolutely non negotiable. If it’s not a manual and convertible supercar then I’m not interested - (my need for variety doesn’t extend to trying hard tops or autos ;) )

As far as I can think, my options are very limited. At 6’5 I don’t fit in a Gallardo / Murcielago. As cool as the 911 speedster is, I don’t really find them that exotic - they look pretty much like any other 911 on the road. The only other options I can think of are a Zonda, Carrera GT or an F50 which are all asking crazy money. I’d be way to scared to drive any of those cars on the street which for me would defeat the purpose of owning them.

Am I missing anything here? Or is there truely few options left when looking for a manual convertible supercar? And could this limited supply explain the price rise in manual supercars recently?

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    You can go forward to a 458 Spider 6MT, or backward to 360, 355, etc. But I don't know what your definition of "supercar" is. They're all super cars, but maybe not supercars. If you won't consider anything but a manual, your options are indeed severely limited.

For what it's worth, I think classic cars are a lot more fun to drive and to own than new silly-fast ones. And classic cars are almost all manuals and almost all come in convertible form. If you're willing to consider taking a step back in performance but possibly a big step forward in fun factor, I'd look to cars that are 20+ years old.

Ridgeback, Bullfighter and EnzoItaly like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I own a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster with 30,000 feet of headroom so I think you'll fit. Honestly, pretty close to a perfect classic car....gated MT, a roaring mid mounted V-12 right behind your head, fast enough to keep up with most modern cars, just as happy to cruise as it is to be driven hard, breath taking beautiful, very rare (less than 500 total worldwide).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, anunakki, cy0811 and 4 others like this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Another suggestion is based on another car I own, a '05 Ford GT. They made a limited amount of what is called a GTX1, which would be an interesting option.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Now you have your answer ,

Ridgeback and Boomhauer like this.
  6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I've had my 430 manual for nearly 4 years now and I keep thinking the same question. No potential replacement has tempted me so far. Nothing. But I still keep looking, Effectively the answer to your question is probably nothing.

7. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    There is no such thing as a 6MT 458, sadly.

anunakki, Wikdstrate and gt1995 like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    One of the things I like best about my Ford GT, is that it is a platform that can add HP to very easily. The first $3k will get you 125 HP, and transforms an already incredible car.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There are some Frankenstein conversions being developed, but I wouldn’t want one.

10. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I would say it is pretty questionable if the EAG car ever happens, or is a worthwhile conversion. Just a huge difference on a car where a F1/SMG type gearbox was offered alongside a 6MT vs. a car that was ONLY designed Day One for a DCT or Auto.

360, 430, 575M, 599, E46 M3 conversions all total make sense as a manual gearbox was already there, but controlled by a computer - and there is a factory OEM path to changing over.

EAG has a stated plan for the 458/488, FF, AMG GT, and Corvette C8 (among others). The engineering resources for these conversions is daunting and leagues different than the other cars. It's a wonderful goal, but there is also the potential that these cars just might not be very fun with a MT. As those engines became more and more powerful, rowing your own gears might not be that enjoyable. Already on the E92 M3's, many enthusiasts preferred the DCT over the available MT, as it just better suited the engine's power band.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they SHOULD..."

brogenville and Bullfighter like this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As a fellow 430 Spider 6MT owner I know the feeling. And the challenge in finding a modern supercar alternative.

I haven't found a suitable replacement. (I don't think an F50 is practical to have fun in, on the same real world roads as ours).

Ideas I have been through include 911 GTS cabrio of various types, but while these are very good cars, they are not supercars.

A RUF tuned manual 997 or 991 cabrio might fit the bill but try finding one. Maybe there's a great tuned 911 there that is not a Frankencar.

The obvious one of the modern era is an Aston Vantage V12 or V12S roadster manual, last generation. The problem is that the 430 is a better drive, more balanced and finessed, though the Aston is a brute, depending on your taste. I have often wondered but just don't want to swap for it.

Huracan Spider RWD is a whole lot of fun, but it's not manual. Same with a 720S (though a bit less fun).

There were a few manual 575 SAs but these are less exciting than a 430, more flawed, and much more expensive now.

I have even been through the process of a Z8 and rejected it.

There were a handful of manual Californias but these are less fun than the 430.

12. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    2014 Facelift Audi R8. Gated shifter, decent performance and convertible. V10 sounds good. I wouldn’t go with the older model

Boomhauer and tantumaude like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good call, but I believe 2012 as the last year for gated? I might be wrong...

Tegeltje likes this.
  14. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The 2014/15 had a gated as well. Not common as that's the year they switched to dual clutch and everyone was jumping on that.

paulchua likes this.
  15. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    My vote would be Ford GT all day. Prices will only go up and they are very fun to drive. Similar weight to F430 but very torque-y and still fast relative to modern cars.

16. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Very few good choices in your situation indeed. One that wasn’t mentioned yet is the 550 Barchetta - convertible, manual, V12 and semi affordable.

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    doesn't exist.

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    991 911 speedster.

Bullfighter likes this.
  19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. If you absolutely need a three pedal manual, the 911, 964 or even modern Targa is rare, cool and a great drive. You will rarely see another one on the road.

The older cars are definitely fun to drive, and they hold value well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mclaudio and Dave Bertrand like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hmm, were they special editions? Or is Wikipedia wrong? I've seen wiki wrong before, according to it 2012 was last year for gated.

21. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    C8. After you drive one you will say screx clutch pedal manual. Make mine a paddle shifter DCT.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My weekend fun cars will always be MT.....

I’ll save paddle shifters for my DD.

23. F12POZZI

F12POZZI Rookie

Jan 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark Vaghei
    718 Spyder

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is great information, glad you can set my head straight. That Wikipedia article leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you for educating me.

kes7u likes this.