456GT Timing Belt Service DIY | FerrariChat

456GT Timing Belt Service DIY

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by renn20, Jul 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    I acquired my 456gt earlier this year. I've been slowly bringing the maintenance up to date. Engine Oil, Gear oil, Brake Fluid, and tires have been refreshed. The interior has been treated with leatherique. Things are definitely coming together with the car.

The next step is to change the Timing Belts to have a fresh baseline. I am going to perform this service myself as well. DIY is essential to the ownership/binding experience for me.

There aren't much guide for this job. I will be asking questions and posting photos along the way. I hope expert will chime in to provide feedback.

Now, let's start with the parts list.

Ricambi has a 30k service Kit. Does this kit have everything I need?

7 x 117275 CAM O-RING
    4 x 163987 CAM SEAL
    2 x 140787 END PLATE GASKET
    2 x 140753 GASKET
    4 x 114808 CAM BOLT O-RING
    2 x 187744 TIMING BELT (456/550/575/612)
    2 x 186922 FUEL FILTER
    2 x 151562 AIR FILTER
    1 x 199825 BELT POLY-V K5
    2 x 206166 OIL FILTER
    2 x 154562 PLENUM GASKET
    2 x 324050 IINTAKE-HEAD ALUMINUM GASKERT STRIP
    2 x PT550 456/550/575/612 CAM BELT PULLEY
    1 x 201444 ALT AND COMPRESSOR BELT PVK A6 for ALT. PULLY Ø 55
    1 x 156329 BELT/ALT for ALT. PULLY Ø 52,5

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

no... it has everything you'll need at a minimum to get started. On a 456, there are plenty of other things you'll need to thoroughly examine during the process. For example (in no particular order),
    • water pump
    • radiator neck hoses
    • water pump 'fat' hose the in valley of the plenum
    • lower cam drive bearings (170787)
    • plugs
    • fuel pump (rubber) condition
    • motor mounts/g-box mounts
    • front/rear seals
    • accumulators for suspension
    • flexible brake hoses
    • radiator/oil cooler condition
    • shift shaft seals
    • clutch, and components
    • etc etc. look for the thread by moorfan on his 550 service. I know it's not a 456, but it is 'close enough' to get an idea of what a front-12 Ferrari service can entail.
    I almost always suggest to DIY customers to not buy any 'additional' stuff until they've had a chance to thoroughly inspect and determine what's actually needed. Too many times, folks are in such a all-fire hurry to service the car they'll spend a bunch of money on stuff they don't need, only to discover the money would have been better spend on something they discover actually does need attention. FWIW, my personal advice (but usually not good for the bottom line of the business) is to slow down when doing a timing belt service, and order stuff when you're sure the car needs it, not simply because "I read it on the internet".

Jaredsalinsky, franschman and JoeTSI like this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- You can add shims for the valve clearance to the list.

KL- Big question to ask would be are you going to just do a lock and swap on the cambelts or do you intend to degree the cams? The latter is a bit more involved with some specialized tools required.

4. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    Hi Daniel, thanks for the suggestion. Would you mind narrowing down the list to Cam Belts service related? I would like to inspect and replace the items pertain to this service and the items while at it only.

Taz, I was thinking to just Lock and swap. Now you got me curious about "degree the cams". Would you mind providing more context?

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #5 tazandjan, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    There are dozens of threads here that show much more detail than I can. A lock and swap just uses the last tech's cam timing and should only be used if you know and trust that tech. The marks on the cams are assembly marks so you do not bend a valve when replacing the cams if you replace cam seals. Not good enough for timing the cams. To degree the cams you use a timing/degree wheel on the crank (with pointer) and a top dead center kit (DTI, dial test indicator) on each bank to get timing exact. Note Ferrari's timing procedure requires you to set the valve clearance for cylinders 1 and 12 to 0.50 mm for timing and then reset later to the proper clearance.

Fennicus likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would do a cam timing. The V12 is quite a bit more sensitive to cam timing than V8, for whatever reason. Chase down Paulchua for testimony.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

1 x PT550 (pair)
    2 x 187744

renn20 likes this.