308 Dash bezel stuck | FerrariChat

308 Dash bezel stuck

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308_david, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308_david

308_david Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Western Washington
    I have had a slow tear in the top of my dash bezel and want to remove it and get it reupholstered. Getting the instrument cluster out was easy. Getting the 4 nuts off that secure the bezel to the dash was easy. When I gently lift the bezel up, it's leather is stuck to the dash leather. I don't want to force it off and possible tear the dash leather as it is in excellent condition.

Has anyone encountered this or have any advise on safe products to help separate the two pieces? Here are some pics that hopefully help

BTW, this is a 1978 308 GTB.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    On my 400 I had to use lots of prayers and brute force...

A generous amount of mink oil did help (i did use the oil meant to soften paintbrushes as sold in art supply shops) but I still could hear this horrendous noise when separating the leather trims.

No horror story though.

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Plastic spatula will help. Gently press it between the two of leather and pry it apart.

308 milano likes this.
  4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I use soapy water and a plastic upholstery pry tool (set of 4 on Amazon). Let the soapy water soak for a while and gently insert the pry tool to let the soapy water work deeper into the seam. Take your time and be patient. Liltle by little the seam will will seperate.

f355spider and 308 milano like this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agree with wmuno...needs some lubricant. It's just vinyl...not leather, but still fragile at this age. Plastic spatula is a great ideal too...it is wider and can spread the force out a bit

6. 308_david

308_david Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Western Washington
    Thank you all, for your replies! Since it has been so hot in Washington the past few days, I have been mulling over all the advice.

Well, the good news is today was much cooler and it allowed me to work at it some more. And voila! I got it free.

What worked best was my finger. I used it as a fulcrum and as a guide between the halves. The hardest parts were around the four posts (embedded in the bezel). This is where the leather/vinyl was stuck the worst. A lot of patience and go slow, that was the key.

While I am at it, I want to replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster as they are as dim as can be. Any recommendations on bulb/supplier to use?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #7 f355spider, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Was 21 years ago when I did that upgrade....
    Tachometer bulbs Sylvania # 3893 13.5v 4w
    Speedometer bulbs Sylvania #24 14v 3.4w

The bulbs are not dimming from age, its just Ferrari chose a dim bulb for the application.
    The other thing you can do, is make a little bypass jumper wire for the dimmer potentiometer. That potentiometer eats up power no matter the setting. Bypassing it gives you more voltage to the bulbs.
    Making a jumper wire keeps you from cutting into the wiring harness. I never got around to this on my 308, but I did on my 328 and it made a world of difference.

Some have gone the LED route, I wouldn't, as the color temperature is odd looking and the look is all wrong and too contemporary.

8. 308_david

308_david Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Western Washington
    f355spider, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I am going to see what jumping the dimmer pot does prior to changing the bulbs, for s&g's of course.

Thanks so much!

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  10. 308_david

308_david Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Western Washington
    Thanks raemin, That post was very detailed and informative. I'm on travels for the next couple weeks, but will investigate my specific cluster bulbs further upon my return.

One question before I go, I want to bench test the bulbs before and after replacement. I do not have a power supply and read about someone rigging their cluster to a car battery. That I can do. Do you or anyone else know which lead(s) from the three harnesses do I use for pos(+). I am assuming gnd(-) will be self evident.

I have yet to exercise due diligence yet, but sometimes think it is easier to ask than reinvent the wheel.

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You can see on the post that I did bench-test the system, unfortunately this was on a 400i... Not sure it will help on your car.

On my car it was just a mater of supplying 12v to the black/yellow wires of each instrument cluster. It was however slightly more complex to test the dimmer : I had to feed the +12v to the white cable of the rheostat and the make some temporary harnesses so as to connect the yellow rheostat output to the other yellow cables of the instrument clusters I wanted to test.

It took me quite a while, and I honestly believe that supplying 12v to the black/yellow cables of each instruments should be good enough.

(needless to say that you should validate that your car does use the same cable colours as mine: i.e black for ground and yellow for illumination)

12. 308_david

308_david Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Western Washington
    Thanks again raemin. I did watch the video several times, but all I saw was you turning the dimmer and seeing the lights react. I tried to see the power supply and which harness leads you used, but they were not visible to me.

I will take my multimeter and check continuity to be sure and reply on what the 308 model used for illumination. Ground is almost always black (for automotive), but I will check that too.

13. 308_david

308_david Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Western Washington
    I've been gone since the 4th and heard back from my upholstery guy yesterday. He is unsure of the actual stitch color on the bezel and wanted some input from me. He says that it looks more tan in color, not white. If I look at the pics in this post, it looks more white, like the steering wheel stitching (not tan).
    I don't want it so white that it doesn't match the wheel and am curious what thoughts you guys may have.

I can ask him to try and get some stitching to match the current color, go black or go white. I just want some consistency between the stitching color on the bezel and steering wheel. Does Ferrari have a specific stitch color they used?

14. 308_david

308_david Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Western Washington
    I got my project wrapped up and it turned out fantastic! Thanks to all for their input and advice.

The dash bezel came out perfect with the white stitch trim.

I ended up using three different kinds of LED bulbs as each style of gauge had it's lighting configuration different.
    For the three smaller gauges (fuel, temp and oil), turn indicators and headlamp used the small T5 style bulb.
    The speedo and tach used the BA9S style, but even here I had to used different styles of LEDs. The speedo was straight forward as the depth of the bulb tube was fairly short and the 200 lumen bulb lit the speedo well. The same bulb did not light the tach well. The tach housing is much longer (depth) and the bulb tubes were very long. The speedo bulbs had the LEDs facing the sides and barely lit the tach. I found a bulb that had the LEDs all facing forward (not to the side). This worked much better, although slightly dimmer than the speedo. All were dimmable and worked great with the original dimmer (much to my surprise and delight).

If any of you ever head out to the Seattle area in the Summer, you have to spend a Saturday morning at the Redmond Town Center Exotics Show. It is a free car show and usually has hundreds of cars on display.
    View attachment 3189025 View attachment 3189026

Attached Files:

RodC328gts and f355spider like this.
  15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I remember finding your info to upgrade my dash bulbs. It was a big improvement! Funny how this stuff keeps rolling back around. :)