430 Scuderia Battery | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia Battery

Discussion in '360/430' started by dwe8922, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    What's the latest on battery choice for the 430 Scuderia? The Optima red top I have is failing, and I need to replace it. I think I want to go with Interstate AGM. I've searched, and some seem to have used the MTZ 34R, but some have said it's too tall even though that's what is specified for the car. One thread recommended the MTZ 48 H6.

Also, someone mentioned that the tray was cut out for the Optima. Does it need to be modified? I replaced the battery on my old 360, and it was pretty straightforward. Anything to watch out for on the 430?

Thanks!

David

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    interstate for evert f car

3. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Anti gravity if you want to go to lithium style. Alot more money but drop about 15 lbs

Manda racing likes this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The battery tray on the Scuderia is cut out for the Optima redtop at the base. You can either replace it with the F430 one ($$$$) or modify it. It appears you would have to cut away some material. Using a cut off wheel? Never done it...I just bought another Optima and crossed fingers it doesn't leak (a third time).

flash32 likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I will repeat what i have said in other posts .. i am in the minority ..i have 4 optima batteries in play for the last 15 years replacing every 6 to 12 years in some ..as long as it is on proper tender i never had /have a problem

The most current one i bot is a year old ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

bzubi likes this.
  6. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I looked at the 430 tray, and it's almost $700 for the part now! I wasn't as excited about modifying the existing tray, and then the discrepancy between the 34 being a little to tall, and the 48 having a lower cca, so I went ahead and just ordered another red top at the local parts store. The antigravity option would be appealing if I were tracking the car, but my club race buddies that use them have always found them to be finicky and have scared me away from them. My current red top is atleast 7 years old, so hopefully I'll get a good one!

Manda racing and f355spider like this.
  7. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can the anti-gravity be had without modifying the stock tray?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Nothing a tig welder or a little fabrication can't help But I'm looking into one on my 360 with all the options out there it can get crazy on the sizes. But I have never seen the stock 430 tray I can't belive some extra holes or something along that line for the tie bolts to grab.

9. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I replaced the battery. The funky negative pole "flip" clamp had dug into the soft battery post, so it took a lot of careful teasing to get it off without damaging the clamp. My old battery was leak free. The tray could be modified without too much trouble, but the size and CCA of the Interstate was another concern. Ultimately, I went with another Optima Red Top 34R.

This reminded me how dependent these cars are on a good battery. Mind you, my battery is atleast 7 years old. My car lives on a tender, but gets a good drive once a week. It always started fine, and even after stopping for a coffee break on my early morning drive. Over the last year, CST off would flash on start up, and it had a little bit of a rough idle on cold start. With the new battery, all that has gone away. I think it even shifts better now too. I found the same thing true on my old manual 360. Even when the battery was good enough to have a normal start, when it started getting weak, the car did weird things. These cars like healthy batteries!