time has come to say goodbye- to Manzoni | Page 2 | FerrariChat

time has come to say goodbye- to Manzoni

Discussion in '296' started by maha, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Not bad. I am waiting for the V8 version....

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My 458 value just shot up $30k overnight. Thanks Flavio!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IloveGT, Giallo27, cy0811 and 2 others like this.
  3. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
  4. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    F8 does look a lot better than this 296. But compared to 488 and Pista, F8 looks pretty overdone.
    I agree with maha that 296 is pretty meh. It is even more uninspiring than the sf90, which in my opinion is subpar in terms of exterior design.
    But Manzoni also designed Laferrari, which to me is still one of the coolest looking Ferrari ever. And I assume that he also had his hands on TDF, Pista and 488 which are all still great looking ever after all these years.
    If the 296 is replacing the 458/488/f8 line though, then it will truly be a sad day for all Ferrari fan. To me the F12 to 812 was already a step backward in terms of exterior design. A F8 to 296 would be a devolution in the look department.

5. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Yes I believe the F8 will be ending production as 296 will be starting.

Agree with you on everything. My main problem with this 296 design is the direct transplant of the 250MM intake and rear haunches. Why on Earth would that work in a 2021 car? Also the rest of the retro details don't help: buttresses, black A pillars... Then a modern but very, very bland front, and a modern rear which looks like any 2010-2015 McLaren. A mix of too many different things not well resolved or integrated. Forget the classic Corvette comparison, this one clearly looks like the 2005 Ford GT40.

Ferro458 and faykau like this.
  6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    There are worse things to milk...........

7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    F8 “overdone” compared to Pista?
    F12 and 812 a step backwards???
    Backwards from what...the 599...the 575/550? What in God’s name are you smoking?
    Just stop.

9. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I actually think pista is quite overdone with the front lids. 488 already had a good shape and elegance.

After 488 this trend with deep holes began on pista and f8 and lights started to look like sht and front view of v8s looked very busy. 296 continues the same direction.

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I like this, especially the vintage design cues. Headlights are a little strange, I think could be more classic, but still, understated and good looking. Much better than the SF90.

Forza Scuderia likes this.
  11. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Like many (most) of Manzoni's creations there's a lot to like on this car. But, like many (most) of Manzoni's creations there's an oddity that makes you scratch your head and ask "why did they do that?" For example, the crease behind the side air intake on the 296 is inexplicable to me. Why not smooth that out and create a nicer, clean line?

The front hood air vent on the 812C is also a head scratcher. Why not two elegant air vents on each side of the hood? I get that it's a design element off a race car of the past. But who actually wants it?

The headlights on the SF90. WTF?

Even the odd little door handles on the 488. The 458 door handles were so much better.

It just seems like the guy is just trying too hard to always come up with something different instead of focusing on the Ferrari design elements that people love.

bruzzifumi and maha like this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    First I’ll say if you guys think Flav has personally designed all these different cars you are smoking crack. He is the head of a large design team who has many different designed and I would also venture to say they even consult other historic design houses on occasion. If you think the same person designed the Portofino and the Roma you’re insane. Also second these things must be seen in person to really understand. Two dimensions at reduced scale doesn’t show the true dynamics of the sculpture.

13. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    First off I don't believe in god. Secondly since when it is ok to use personal attack to express differences in opinion?
    I was gonna explain to you with my genuine personal perspective regarding the matter but then when I see the way you replied...forget about it.
    We can agree to disagree.
    Have a good day.

Midnight Oil, Napoli and Boomhauer like this.
  14. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    #39 faykau, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Yea those rear haunches are real eye sore to me. It makes the lines around the the B-pillar of the car looks so disrupted/disjointed and wavy that it is harsh for the eyes. Now that you mentioned it I can't unsee the 2005 GT in the 296. I also really dislike the 'pointy' a pillar upper end on the roof from the 3/4 view to the rear end. It makes the car looks very dated. I wonder if Ferrari offers the option for a painted A-pillar but I don't think it would look any better with the seams between the pillars and the roof. The rear is just simply far too generic for a Ferrari. I still can't believe they are ditching the circular rear lights for these.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I do believe that Flavio is looking to the future generation and part of that involves taking risks and appealing to the ever changing eye. There are lot of interesting design cues that are a departure from the 458/488/F8 lineage of design, and I like that.

When the 458 first launched via the 2009 Geneva Motorshow, reactions from diehard F430 and 430 Scud fans were pretty polarizing. It wasn't until people got to see the body in person and see it on the road that the press photos suddenly started looking different to the haters. The design moved foward to a more modern shape with new styling cues (disappearance of dual circular tailights [again], new front headlights, more subtle/hidden airscoops, flatter wider body, etc).

I feel like this car is worth continually looking at different photos and renders to draw new emotions

16. 400GT4doors

400GT4doors Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Vigo, Spain
    I've always thought the side air intake on 488 and F8 absolutely ruined the side view of the car. In this term, the 458 was perfect. And in the 296 it is well resolved. No breaking of the line.

bruzzifumi and Forza Scuderia like this.
  17. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    430jm, Makuono, JasonN and 8 others like this.
  18. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Pista is one of best looking modern sport cars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    No it didnt bud

20. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ferrari use to lead in design, now they do not, some of the work out of the studio is fantastic, some of the SP project work and detailing is amazing. The everyday production cars are not design leading and do not create am emotional response. I do really like the LaF and I also feel the F8 is extremely well done. The design should be as revolutionary as the new performance levels of this car an mechanical engineering breakthroughs, if we all have to discuss the design, then it is a 100% miss, there should be no discussion, it should be mind blowing.

I do however like that the studio is focused on form language of the past but all in I am not happy and afraid for the brand.

At this moment, long live the F8...

Its not like they do not have the talent or ability to do amazing work, the P80 is stunning! come on Ferrari this is your goal!

Additionally, the worsts part of the 296 is the dash, its a movement back to the 458, I just do not like the interior at all, I have no problem saying IT SUCKS, its an F-

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F40LMM, MotorMouth and italiafan like this.
  21. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I agree with both getting rid of manzoni and that the 296 is a good looking car. I don't like Ferrari's in house design overall, but I think the 296 looks like a better version of the SF90, plus the 250 LM comparisons are nice. I love it, but yes fire manzoni and call pininfarina back plz

bruzzifumi, Enzo Belair and SECRET like this.
  22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Love the design. Very clean. Modern and will age will. Getting 250 LM vibes in the rear. As usual Ferraris press photos never look great. Car will be amazing in person. And they really need a new person to design wheels. Cant remember the last factory Ferrari wheel I liked. Those on that P80 posted above look great

Boomhauer, maximilien and SECRET like this.
  23. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I see some making statements like "long live the F8." You'll see similar disdain from forum members for the F8 when it first came out as you see for the 296 or Manzoni's general design direction.

As someone mentioned earlier, Manzoni is not the designer of every one of these cars. The design comes from a studio or collective of designers where Manzoni is the 'face' of that group. While he drives direction, designers also make unique aesthetic choices that are supported by their collective team.

Back to the F8, while the car has grown on me, the back of the car, to my eyes, looks like it was designed by committee - confused. The 296, cleaned up that design and brought a modern twist to it. I also agree that the 296 cleaned up a lot of design oddities on the SF90. The 296 isn't perfect, but I think on the road, it will look like the future design direction for Ferrari hybrids/electrics.

F40LMM, Neauvou, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Now that is a stunning supercar (bottom two pix).

25. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Is it just me or does anyone else see a fair amount of Alfa 4C in this design....which I must admit is very elegant to my eyes, barring the rear light which would have looked better being round.

95spiderman likes this.