360 - Running a 360 without the lower engine cover | FerrariChat

360 Running a 360 without the lower engine cover

Discussion in '360/430' started by cladd2000, Jun 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    Holy cool! I did an oil change, engine mounts, and had to do a thermostat gasket so I ran the car to my gf house about five miles away without the lower cover. It was a cool night last here in the east coast. Probably in the 50’s. Boy did the coolant and oil run cooler. Anyone do this too? My Porsche 993 I ran without it because everyone said it would run cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Kevin R

Kevin R Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2017
    San Clemente, CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Reynolds
    I have after a belt and tensioner change. I drove it to verify I didn’t have any coolant hose or oil line leaks. With if off it ran really cool, almost to cool. I didn’t and wouldn’t recommend driving it at any top end speeds with it off.

3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I drove my 430 with the tray off after a full service to check for leaks. Didn't notice it running cooler but it probably did. What I did notice was the huge increase in road noise. I thought I'd wrecked my gearbox till I figured it out.

4. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've been running without for almost a year now. Just more dirt in the engine compartment but also have a huge dust problem from the stupid muffler. Didn't put 2 and 2 together till now. Either way I will be installing it soon as my new muffler shows up. And BTW I did quite a few >120mph drives with no effect. YMMV