INDYCAR 2021! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

INDYCAR 2021!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Nembo1777, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    fantasy camp.

he is slowly improving but then Cody Ware showed him up yesterday….so I think Jimmie is just having fun and DGAF.

SCantera and 375+ like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yep watched the race highlights last night, he passed Rossi on the outside into turn one, as if he'd been racing Indycars for years!

Wish the whole race were on Utube but the only full race recording is with commentary in some language I can't even identify.

of2worlds and absostone like this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Onboard action of Sunday with something new (to me anyway) pivoting cameras controlled remotely, awesome:)

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thank you for that Indy video. So cool!!!!
    Especially the “love” taps they would give each other when they passed in the corner. The first was Herta bumping Power into the dirt on the edge of the track and blowing past. Great action.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    It was a good IndyCar weekend. I was able to go Saturday and Sunday. I was able to meet Bobby Rahal, Al Unser Jr., David Hobbs, Sato, Dixon, and a bunch of others. It's crazy how accessible the IndyCar paddock is. You wouldn't get within a mile of an f1 driver. Felt bad for Newgarden as he dominated the weekend but Penske has some work to do. Will's car failed last week in Detroit and Josef this weekend. As others have said, Road America is one of the best tracks in the world, not just America. You can drive anywhere on the property and park just about anywhere other than the actual racetrack. Lots of good views without fences in the way and its all general admission so take your pick. It was a wonderful weekend and IndyCar is on a upward trajectory. They just need a bit more power, wider wheels and maybe a little bit longer wheelbase.

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thank you for this report!!! I have never been to Road America but it is a great track. Hoping to make the Brian Redmond vintage racing weekend in mid-July. Have friends in Milwaukee to visit along the way. If Indy goes back to RA next year I want to be there.

I too felt bad for Newgarten. Two consecutive weekends he was the lap leader only to have bad tire strategy followed by the recent car failure. I didn't check the points but my guess he would be leading if he had won both. It was painful to watch him being interviewed after the Detroit race. He didn't want to talk and had to listen to the typical knifing questions and answer.

white out and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 same here.

white out likes this.
  8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree on the first two (aren't they supposed to be getting 900 horsepower in 2022?), but what would a longer wheelbase achieve in making the show better?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Happy 50th anniversary, Roger Penske! On this date in 1971, Mark Donohue won the Pocono 500 in Roger's McLaren, marking Penske's first-ever Indycar victory! Boy, there have been a lot since, though none in 2021 yet.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wish they’d go back to standing starts.

TheMayor likes this.
  11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    And Newgarden won for Penske today.

(Not by a lot. But we really didn't expect to see a Swede with a Honda engine win on Jul 4th. :p)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Do IndyCar drivers use simulators, and if they do has Jimmie Johnson ever been near one?

Too harsh?

alum04org likes this.
  13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yes, he's used several (Honda and Dallara both have simulators in Indy), plus good ol' iracing

like I said previously....I don't think he cares. he's having fun at the end of his career.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Josef has a big lead (5-6 seconds), I think he was slowing at the end to avoid the lapped traffic he was approaching, given his bad luck the previous few weeks

15. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. In spite of what Leigh Diffey's hyperventilating commentary might have led you to believe, there was no doubt Newgarden had it under control.

Newgarden is the only one of the Penske guys who seems to be top notch this season.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    who’s the other? LOL

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Milwaukee is the only one of these that I've attended. I liked it a lot. You can see the whole track from almost any seat in the grandstand. There's not much banking so it's still up to the driver to determine proper entry speed. I would say that Milwaukee is one of the few tracks where it's better in person than on TV.

Iowa is not on the schedule this year?

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #119 GuyIncognito, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Iowa didn’t get renewed by NASCAR for whatever reason. Only scheduled race there this year is ARCA

Iowa is a great track in absolutely the wrong place.

20. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Hmmm....Robin Miller says, I think, the problem with ovals is there isn't enough stuff happening on track. Lotsa waiting around. Milwaukee's continuing failures kinda has a stench that keeps interest away. Others, dona have an opinion.
    As an aside, Roger Penske is looking/acting all of his 84 years....you know he's got a good succession plan, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Roger won’t retire but yea, he is looking old lately :(

not enough for spectators to do? I would think that would be an easy fix. turn the infield care center into a strip club? :D

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I hope he’s writing his memoirs although an unauthorized biography might be more interesting.;)

23. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I don't buy the not enough to do at Milwaukee. It's location is the Wisconsin State Fair. Mucho carnival type rides and stuff . . . if they want. Yeah, they would have to staff them.

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Trundling around dead, dirty and last can’t be much fun. Especially for a guy who’s presumably hypercompetitive.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Re JJ, it seems that the novelty is over about his presence in Indycar, though they still get Carvana plenty of coverage, if only about this week's livery or ??
    Are his times vs. the leaders continuing to to improve? If he doesn't GAS, I sure don't. (Can't he afford a razor? Check out Chase Elliot's appearance...maybe neatness still matters)

GuyIncognito likes this.