What maximum RPM does your GTS do? | FerrariChat

What maximum RPM does your GTS do?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by 575joe, Jun 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    My car seems to cut off fuel at around 8500 rpm, instead of 8900.
    Does this in at least 1st and 2nd. Have not found a spot to try the higher gears.
    Does your car go all the way to 8900?

2. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    That's about all I ever get.

4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    After holding the 812SF at redline in multiple gears I found it generally indicated 8500-8600rpm instead of 8900. I’d imagine the GTS is the same

ForeverCar likes this.
  5. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Funny, was going to post this exact topic. My 812SF also seems to mostly be capped around ~8500 RPM.

6. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    I sure hope the Competizione actually revs all the way to the hyped up 9500.
    I am surprised that we all bought a8900 rpm car, and all we got was 8500!

Thecadster likes this.
  7. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I’m hopeful for the 812C. I may be trying to apply a pattern when there isn’t one. 488 GTB specs have 8k max rev but rev limiter cuts in well before that. 488 Pista seems to allow access to claimed max rev as many expects. So I suspect it’s different tuning for the different series.

8. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    I was chalking it up to living at high elevation, very disappointed if this is a generic issue. If Ferrari claims an 8900 RPM redline, that's where the cutoff should be, not at 8500. That's just false advertisement, or put more bluntly, lying to customers.

I've had a handful of 991 porsches, and they've all hit the specified RPM. If the GT3 claims 9000 RPM but only hits 8600, lots of folks would be crying foul play.

9. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Looks like a false claim to me as well baloney!

10. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I have been down this road before and hopefully my perspective is helpful. @SeattleStew helped me understand the actual behavior of the car while I was waiting for mine. Knowing this ahead of time, I have set my expectations accordingly.

With my 488 GTB, since I didn’t know ahead of time, I was disappointed. When I brought this up before, there were responses along the following lines,
    - “I don’t know what I’m talking about”
    - “Ferrari can do no wrong and I should go away”
    - “The tachometer is not fast enough to keep up”
    - “You don’t need that extra rev for performance”

To some, this doesn’t matter and I respect that. My goal is to share accurate information. No, it didn’t prevent me from ordering my 812SF. Yes, Porsches and McLarens specs and behaviors are as I expected. I learned to interpret Ferrari specs differently.

11. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    IMHO, all 4 responses are bad. The only factual one, tach being too slow, is easily provably wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I should not have to set my expectations to "Sorry, the car won't do what it's advertised as doing". I don't even know what "interpret Ferrari specs differently" really means, surely it can't be "it won't *really* do what we say it will". Coming across something like this and being new to the brand, I think "what else is not as stated? what else are they being dishonest about?"

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, enjoy driving it! Have the Novitec sport cats on order. But this particular topic has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't see how it can be defended outside of rabid fanboyism.

12. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    The way I have learned to interpret Ferrari’s specs differently that is serving me well is as follows. The specs, in this case, max rev contains some information. I learned to not expect full power all the way to stated max rpm unless I get to experience it first hand. I learned to not let that influence my purchase decision as much. I learned to assume there are good reasons for it. And I learned to expect and enjoy that car for what it is.

I don’t expect to find out the reasons behind it. I also realize sharing my observations will likely upset someone else. It would have helped me if I had this information prior to getting confused by the 488 GTB rev limiter behavior. It’s my failing that I wasn’t able to enjoy the car as much due to my own expectations. So I’ve adapted.

13. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Has anyone tested redline in launch control? In Huracan Performante it shifts at 8900 rpm vs the standard 8500 rpm during normal shifts:

Edit: nvd I looked at some videos, it appears even in launch control 812 is shifting 8500rpm. Kind of sketch they advertise 8900...

SecretSquirrari and 350MH83 like this.
  14. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    You had my hopes up there for a while, was thinking that maybe that is it. But if it doesn't even do it in launch mode, then how the hell is it even possible? Very sketchy, to say the least. Or other more harsh choice words...

15. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I should grab some popcorn. :p

knasman likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I've seen both do 8900 on downshifts, but not up.

Coming towards a corner at a high rate of speed in a high gear, then hard on the brake while holding the left paddle.

For me it does not matter at all as it is not the best place to shift from a performance standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas and SeattleStew like this.
  17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just watched this review and it says max revs is only in first gear and most of second what ever that means.

18. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    My SF cuts at 9000 in every gear. Please don't hate. :)

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    He means that you can only do it in 1st and not even in 2nd (thus most of the 2nd but not all of it) because then you will break the speed limit. He didn't mean that the car won't do it in every gear.

20. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I’d like to see a video of that

Il Co-Pilota, ForeverCar and knasman like this.