488 - Terrible Speaker sound | FerrariChat

488 Terrible Speaker sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GaryTarmac, Jun 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    Hi
    Has anyone upgraded there sound system in there 488?
    I’m thinking of doing it as mine is so bad!

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Do you have the upgraded or standard system?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    Standard unfortunately

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Having the standard 488 stereo system gives you a big advantage if you are contemplating an upgrade. Scuderia Audio will set you up. Of the 300+ Ferrari sound systems they have sold worldwide, over 20 have been for 488's so far.
    www.scuderiaaudio.com

5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    1000% agreed on Scuderia Audio.

My 458 with factory speakers was GARBAGE. A Honda Civic has better audio than our Ferrari’s. Scuderia Audio is the best and easiest option. Call Mike at Scuderia Audio and he will walk you through what you need to buy from him for your 488 and then he will also find a good installer in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. GaryTarmac

GaryTarmac Karting

Mar 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gary Tarmac
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Iv been quoted the attached?

7. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Quick detour...why does it matter which system? I think I had the standard one in my 488 which Mike (aka softwaredrone) upgraded with his complete system and the result was beyond amazing. Is the Fcar upgraded system not upgradable to a degree? I’m currently specing an F8 and unless the upgraded system is stellar I would use Mike’s enhanced upgrade as well. Could be a new thread but any feedback on how good the Ferrari upgraded system is anyone?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Can’t read it, can you post a high quality version

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It matters because upgrading each system is quite different. So it makes sense asking in regards to the specific system in question, and the difference between the two systems is significant soundwise.

GaryTarmac likes this.
  10. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    So the premium system is in fact good enough? That’s good to hear and how I’ve spec’d it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I had the standard system in my car. I just did a full upgrade. Could not be happier. The car sounds amazing now. Everything is super clear. No rattles. Very loud. Just like I like it.

With regard to the standard sound system versus the optional premium sound system that many carmakers offer, what I have noticed with personal experience is that the standard sound systems are easier to upgrade because there’s less software or other stuff that the manufacture puts in that serves as an obstacles to actually upgrading the sound system. Hope this is helpful and good luck with your search.

AD211 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    +1 for giving Mike a call. And you are fortunate to have the standard system, it is far easier to upgrade.

13. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The premium system is still for lack of a better term, garbage. The premium audio system is also MUCH harder to upgrade than the standard system. My advice is to change your spec and get the standard system, then add a Scuderia Audio system when you get the car.

AD211 likes this.
  14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The standard system does not have a separate amplifier so all you need to do is jack into the outputs of the InfoTainment box and run your amplifier with high level inputs.
    The JBL system has a separate amplifier that crosses over the frequencies and the system expects to see a certain load. To completely fool the car's computer into thinking that no electronics have changed, you need to tap into the signal as it exits the JBL amp. However, to do this correctly, you need to electronically "undo" everything the JLB amp did, then set up the system with specialized aftermarket electronics. So in addition to boosting the signal, you need to restore the signal to a baseline and also stabilize the impedance.
    The best gear out there right now to pull this off is a VXI amplifier with built in digital signal processor, a JL Audio FIX 82 to flatten the signal and a set of AC-LGD 60 ohm load stabilizers. No matter how hard you try, you won't be able to get a good tune without the FIX 82, and without the load stabilizers, the car's computer will see an unacceptable impedance, think something is wrong and refuse to send the signal out to the new speakers. This is not a Ferrari only phenomenon. Lots of new cars have these same issues and require enhanced electronics to overcome them.
    The reason the JBL system sound quality is sub par despite the fact that it looks good on paper is an entirely different discussion.

jalmirall likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What do you base that conclusion off of? What is your experience with the F8vpremium system?

It is nothing like the system in your 458. Both the F8 and 488 upgraded systems are vastly better than the upgraded system found in the 458.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I found the F8 Hi-Fi option to be quite adequate, much better than my 458 or 488 was. I’m glad optioned it.

Il Co-Pilota, Chizz and AD211 like this.
  17. derekfertig

derekfertig Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Derek Fertig
    +1 for calling mike @ scuderiaaudio. Mine is getting installed as we speak and should have it back tomorrow or wednesday. CANNOT WAIT!!!

18. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yes, they are better than the base systems and better than what was in the 458. But there are degrees here....still pales in comparison to what a good JL Audio/Focal system can do.

Many cars like my BMWs have "upgraded systems" where the option price is $700-$1200 above the base systems, and for that price it can be a good value vs. aftermarket. Given that Ferrari charges OVER 7k for the JBL system, it becomes more of an interesting decision on what to do.

So, is the premium system better than the base? Absolutely! Is that 7k cost worthwhile? That is up to each person to decide for themselves.

EDIT - I might be wrong on the JBL price, I see $6,243 on a price guide. Close enough.

19. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Agreed

Viperjoe and Cigarzman like this.
  20. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree as well. Much better than 488 or 458 upgrade.

Viperjoe, Cigarzman and Chizz like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One thing worth pointing out to those saying the F8 system is better than the 488 system. They are the exact same systems. Same drivers, same cables, same head unit, same amp. They are better than the 458 system, but there is no difference between the upgraded 488 and F8 system. The F8 system is carried over from the 488.

Look up the part numbers if you don't believe me.

JanStuart likes this.
  22. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Different cabin morphology and design will sound differently. Even if the same system

23. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Had to look that one up!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I have had both and would say there is a huge difference (night and day). Maybe there is something wrong with my 488 system (I got rid of F8 already). Might take it in and have it looked at

25. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    My wife said I should only use that word at work. That’s what I get for trying to be smart. Lol!

AD211 likes this.