488 - MPG information? | FerrariChat

488 MPG information?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Wolfram, Jun 15, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfram

Wolfram Rookie

Jun 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Browne
    Hey, new 488 Spider owner here - my first Ferrari and I absolutely love it!

Just wondering though - I can't find anything in the menus that displays any actual MPG information. Am I missing something, or is MPG data just not available?

Cheers,
    David

2. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I guess I'll ask the obvious question: why does it matter? :p

I don't know how to access that info on my 458; I don't think it exists. Might not on the 488 either.

cole328 and buddyg like this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You might be able to access real time calculations using a wireless OBD2 dongle and your cell phone.

Beyond that, the way I have always done it is to just fill up the tank to the top from one fill up to the next and divide the miles driven by gallons used. However, on the 458 and 488 I usually always ran the car with 1/2 a tank of fuel to help reduce weight. Each 10 gallons of gas represent around 60 lbs more weight as ai recall, so running with 1/2 a tank tends to make the car a little more fun to drive, especially when combined with a lighter weight battery.

Ray

4. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Rexcat458, pnd4pnd, rob5819 and 3 others like this.
  5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Modern Ferrari’s are engineered to do a race pace of 3.0mpg around Fiorano. So worst case scenario, you won’t be below that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob5819 likes this.
  6. Wolfram

Wolfram Rookie

Jun 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Browne
    In a way, no but I am interested in all the stats on my cars. This is a big one that is absent compared to my 911s.

Hah - I hope so!

Fuel consumption just seems like such an important metric to be missing, when I have multiple pages of other temperature/pressure readings that might be as well served by a RAG light.

Possibly relevant disclosure: I drive all my cars. My 488 is covered for 10k miles per year, and it will probably do that.

rob5819 likes this.
  7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I have an app that I use on my phone called Fuelly. You can record each fill up as well as all maintenance and stuff. My 458 has averaged 12.6mpg with a best of 16.8mpg on a particularly long and boring trip to the race track.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob5819 and Depreciating Asset like this.
  8. Fergman1

Fergman1 Rookie

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Ferguson
    Trip meter is on your left hand display. As another comment mentioned, the only thing I know to do is divide the trip miles by the gallons consumed at your next fill up. I’m new to mine as well so only a couple of full tanks so far. 15-18 mpg but also spirited driving

9. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    No. No display of mpg. Need to calculate, as others have written. Window sticker -- not that it's accurate in the real world -- says city 16/highway 22.

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I have the opposite relationship with my 458. I always calculate my approximate MPG when I fill up for two reasons:

1--California pumps make it difficult to get a full tank of gas so it helps to know how much to put in.

2--Any time I get better than 11MPG I realize I am not driving my 458 in the proper spirit. Race mode/manual mode/4 LEDs keeps me right around 10MPG. I also try to hit every red light that I can.

Rob

Depreciating Asset likes this.
  11. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    That’s the same my Gallardo gets. But it is funny how the Gallardo does have a trip computer that tells you the miles per gallon you’re getting as you drive. A little funny that the Ferrari doesn’t have that information considering how much newer it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    That's because Ferrari is classy compared to Lambo. Ferrari knows if you are seeing 10mpg instant, you will feel obligated to down shift and stomp on it :D

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The pumps in CA are a drag when it comes to filling up your Ferrari all right. On my 458 and 488, I had to pull the rubber vapor thing back a little and hold it or it was basically impossible to fill up the tank. Also tipping the handle up a bit helps with the trajectory of the gas I think (and helps pressure exit) and that makes it a lot easier. I also usually only put in 5 gallons or 7.5 gallons at a time when just driving around town.

Ray

14. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    The first two years with my 2014 458 Spider I never had a problem and then one day the pump would just not engage and turn the gas flow on and I've had that problem ever since. I did what you said, pulling the vapor shield on the pump back to get it to work. Someone on the forums recommended https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L35KRF2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3EV3JST2V1VFJ&psc=1. A couple months ago I finally got around to ordering it and my last two trips to the gas station have been easy. I wish I could find that original post and thank them.

Rob

RayJohns likes this.
  15. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Wait so do you just stick this on top of the filler tube, or do you need to install it in some way?

16. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Yep, you just put it on the end of the gas nozzle each time you you put gas in. I keep it in one of the pockets in the driver door for quick access. Makes getting gas so much easier. It does the same thing as using your hand to pull back the vapor shroud, but requires a lot less effort.

Rob

SVCalifornia and axlesofevil like this.
  17. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Just to follow up, it was post #59 from "Need4Spd" in https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146309486/ that pointed me to the grommet. Apologies for slightly derailing this thread, but putting gas in the 458 seems to be a long running problem. I've seen the same discussion on FF/Lusso/F12 threads. I hope later cars have improved.

Rob

axlesofevil likes this.
  18. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yes! Roma has no such problem!

SV

rob5819 likes this.
  19. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Good to hear that. We have an order in for a Portofino M for my wife and I am really, really hoping to not have the same problem.

Rob

20. Wolfram

Wolfram Rookie

Jun 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Browne
    Thanks guys - I'll stop looking for the MPG info then!

It's not the overall MPG I'm interested in, it's how it changes with different types of driving. It's surprising that it's missing - even my 20 year old Porsche 996 could tell me how much fuel it was using.

21. Lance F

Lance F Rookie

Jan 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lance Forsee
    I get about 8 out of my 458...about 13 out of my 991.2 turbo.

rob5819 likes this.
  22. 2020

2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    atlanta
    Full Name:
    MPG- why? Let the Italians concentrate on driving ergonomics and styling. The other parts to the car they probably let their apprentices take care of that. A couple of years ago I had a Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio and after the half way mark on the gas gauge it would literally go to empty in 20 miles.